Sign in to follow this  
cynical lady

Sympathize or Laugh?

Somalis 'threaten suicide' in SA

Many foreigners have taken refuge in makeshift camps

Somalis displaced by attacks against foreigners in South Africa have been threatening to drown themselves, according to local media.

The migrants were reportedly seeking to be resettled from a camp outside Cape Town that had been set up after the recent violence.

A police spokesman said rumours several people had drowned were untrue.

A wave of anti-foreigner violence broke out last month north of Johannesburg and spread across the country.

At least 70,000 people fled the attacks and more than 50 people were killed.

Many foreigners took refuge in makeshift camps where conditions were poor, while others fled back to their home countries.

The Red Cross said 36,000 people have returned to Mozambique from South Africa, while an estimated 1,900 people had fled to Malawi.

Rescued

The unrest at the Soetwater camp began after a meeting between displaced migrants and officials from the UN refugee agency.

A group of Somalis - unhappy with the discussions and the relief effort following last month's violence - began a hunger strike that escalated into threats of suicide, The Herald newspaper reported.

One 25-year-old Somali was rescued after several hours in the sea.

"He wanted to die because of his stress," said community leader Abdulaani Wenliye.

Others threatened to follow.

"I'm ready to jump in the sea with my eight children because I have no hope," one migrant, Raxma Moalin, told the Johannesburg Star.

An official said rescue teams had pulled "one or two" people out of the water after they had jumped in to find four people rumoured to be missing.

Western Cape spokesperson Superintendent Andre Traut said rumours that four people had drowned were unfounded.

"After a search operation in which 35 police officers were deployed, some in a helicopter, and the National Sea Rescue Institute members, the reports proved to be false when nobody was found," he said.

MZanzi   

When I saw the news about the somalianz, I was like freaking out

wale dadka somalida dibad jacel ...waxaan waxkale uma sameen United nation haina dhoofiso isleeyihiin

Paragon   

C'mon now. Die because of what cause? I can understand the problems they face, but how the hell can they lower their iimaan to such a thing as suicide? Im hoping its a bluff.

Why not die honourable by taking out as many enemies as possible?

Malika   

It's sad really! but am with Isseh,why not go back home and fight for a cause,rather then die aimlessly for a land that isnt even yours!!

NGONGE   

^^ Because they've reached a stage of despair. They left home to get away from it all yet the problems and danger followed them. When one is in such a state the last thing you'll expect them to make are rational decisions. Their heads are completely messed up; they're neither here nor there. Nothing they do seems to work, death and heartache seem to follow them everywhere. When you add it all up (in the incremental way it crept on them) death (to an irrational mind) does not look too bad. If nothing else, it may put an end to the suffering.

CL,

You sure you want that? Anyway, as I read that I was not too surprised about the decision to commit suicide but did smile when I saw the method. Ready for it?

When Somali refugees die, it's usually through drowning. These guys are just following the rules. :D

MZanzi   

Originally posted by Isseh:

C'mon now. Die because of what cause? I can understand the problems they face, but how the hell can they lower their iimaan to such a thing as suicide? Im hoping its a bluff.

Why not die honourable by taking out as many enemies as possible?

that was the only way they could get attention from the UNHCR ..DIBAD Starving somalianz iga dheh

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

it is all about DHOOF ........

So,its(not) safe to say,that Ninki dhoof ku imid bee geeridu dhibeysaa? :confused:

Things in SA are bad for "Somalianz"(if i may),Two of my younger cuzins are back to Kenya,doing nothing...

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

dee sow awalba dhoof kumay iman ,, do the SA's care if they drown or fly ??? ,,

Duh!? Ma xalay baad barjeynesay? icon_razz.gif