Sign in to follow this  
Lost-One

Have you got an Online Alter Ego?)

Lost-One   

(You might want to turn the sound down for this)

Are you hearing voices?

Congratulations You're Schizophrenic!

On countless occasions I’ve heard people refer to the net as a world dissimilar to reality. Suddenly life isn’t just this one short existence but in fact two, the online and offline life. Internet users are suddenly living two lives completely separate to one another with alias names, occupations and locations. Well understandably I’m constantly being told this is just a security measure to ensure confidentially, after all the world is a small place. However having said this personal details are not the only thing being changed, net users are creating alter personalities…effectively alter egos. These online personalities are sometimes on the extreme opposite end of the personality spectrum or at times mild amplifications of an individual’s offline personality. Either way I wonder how healthy this really is.

I for one am not comforted with the idea that the average person you meet offline has a completely different online personality. These same abusive, violent and disturbed people you come cross in countless Somali chat rooms maybe in fact the quiet and down to earth neighbour or even a distance cousin. In fact if you were to remove the medium (the internet) you would be left with a person displaying typical schizophrenic tendencies. Doesn’t this worry you? And why is it seen so acceptable within our online Somali community?

Once questioned these violent, disturbed and rude individuals always reply with same answer… “It’s only the net, don’t take is seriousâ€

People continuously take advantage of there anonymity online to get way with things that are not classed as socially acceptable. Does that then imply at these individuals only conform for the sake of the “consequences†they could face offline and if there were no “consequences†offline they would in fact be horrible individuals?

Jamilah   

Isn’t it just bizarre? :confused: I too have noticed this strange tendency. I used to refer to it as multiple personality but I think Schizophrenia pinpoints it. The most docile and respectful individuals you know are the worst in the cyber scene. I don’t think its healthy and their excuses well…just like any other condition there is a process of denial.

And why is it seen so acceptable within our online Somali community?

We don't know the majority of these people so there isn't much that we can do.

P.S

Welcome to SOL brother/sister. smile.gif

Welcome, clever girl(?)

I didn't used to at first but I definitely do say things sometimes that I wouldn't IRL(in real life). Mostly to individuals I do not particularly care for(online judgement). IRL I would simply avoid them(unless they insist on being in my face, then God help them) but on here when they address me over and over with the same nacnnac I give into devilish banter. Also, I've been here for 2 years now and the repetitive nature of not the discussions but some of the discussees has me disgusted. OouuCC is where it's at. But I'm here again after a sabbatical. So far so entertaining.

Zafir   

^^ Don’t run from it sheherazade, embrace it, because you and I and the others are. :D

I am controlled schizophrenic; I take pleasure in all of its accommodations. “Doesn’t this worry you?†Absolutely not, “why is it seen so acceptable within our online Somali community?†Shoot! Why wouldn’t it be acceptable?? Online community has no say over this issue; this is completely individualistic discretion as to what one sees appropriate in a certain situations that’s different to RL (real life) one.

French fries are more pleasurable to the palate than broccoli, so I suppose it’s not all pointless suggestion, but when one takes part in an online discussion board, one must what to be different than their norm self. Core principles don’t change much, but there are minuscule changes in their attitude and persona thus..

Valcome Lost 1.

Maf Kees   

Believe you me, any shidh I say here, I also say it in real life. Sometimes what I say in real life is worse than here, but I know a lot of people need to vent too. I never understood ranting bloggers, but I know that if you're quiet all the time, than let it out before your azz blows up.

Its amazing that people check their spelling before they click the 'Add Reply' button. As if we won't find out how dumb you really are.

STOIC   

The ego being the officer of our personality controls our behavior in public. Two opposing identities battle in our heads. Each of this personality has its own voice and pattern. Personally I am reserved person in real life, but if you meet me online you might think you crossed path with a vociferous individual. We totally turn out to cope with the real life and online personality. The online persona has become like a culture prescribed socialization practice. Every one of us has his own unique personality. We might be calm or emotional, sloppy or meticulous. But no one wants to be viewed as an insecure and Unpredictable. We want to be viewed as smart, confident, and vicious by our cyber peers who know zit about our lives. Some of us have a borderline personality where we yearn for attention and company. We are empty and bored. We are highly inflexible and lack true identity. Some of us are ego inflated and self-centered. We always want to be center of attention. If you have any of the above personality disorders, like I do sometimes, it is great that you double-check your life!

Nephissa   

I think that while posting we all have a freedom to say or do things that might not require as much censorship, or even ettiquette as in the real world. I do alot of nac-nac amongst strangers for the most part, on here that I may not have openly spoke up about IRL. But then again would a room full of strangers really be discussing whether couples should take shower together, or how Mahad went sleep on his new bride. L0L. I highly doubt it! I am true to my many personalitites that I have on here as I have in the real world, but it is a matter of comfortability for those that get to experience them. Sitting alone at a computer, not having to face the reaction of others at some bizzarre train of thought I just typed is one thing but being honest, friendly and respectable is someone I try to be in or/out of this virtual community.

I would expect that integrity is the one thing that a person would try to remain true to wherever they may be. smile.gif

Back to work. Be back @ lunch hour.

Lost-One   

Thanks for the warm welcome all! Yes sheherazade was right smile.gif I'm female.

Erm...Interesting replies might I add :confused: . This wasn't meant to be a psychoanalysis, but didn't you all notice how almost everyone kept referring to "real life†and not a single person batted an eye lid about it. Sorry but isn't this...here…now… real?

"...I wouldn't IRL(in real life)"

"...certain situations that’s different to RL (real life) one"

"I also say it in real life"

"Personally I am reserved person in real life"

"...I may not have openly spoke up about IRL"

Have you all forgotten that you're just online, life hasn't just suddenly stopped, you’re not in a dream world or on a parallel plane!

Maybe this is the reason why people forget to keep their normal respectful personalities. I can’t help but think that this constant disassociation or detachment from reality is abnormal and unhealthy.

I do understand your points; sensitive subjects are easier discussed anonymously, that’s just one of the perks of the net. You’ve got all the lime light you want on your demand and all this time to think up of witty replies (If you’re anything like me and a little slow offline lol) amongst other things.

But haven’t you all come across this general idea that this detachment from reality has also brought about this ideology that real emotions can not be displayed online. Emotions like guilt, anger, hatred, love or just having a self conscious. I don’t know maybe this is the real root cause of all the problems faced online?

I think most of the people on SOL advocate ideas they would otherwise refrain from in real life. Many people say things on here that they would otherwise choose not to say to real people. I wouldn’t worry thou, most of the people on SOL know each other outside of SOL, I would say majority of them. You’re among good people I wouldn’t worry.

Originally posted by Lost-One:

.. that real emotions can not be displayed online. Emotions like guilt, anger, hatred, love or just having a self conscious.

Meet: smile.gif:(redface.gif:D;)icon_razz.gif :cool:

All the emotions u'll ever need.

I am just plain rude to people here sometimes, something I never thought I could ever do whatever the medium. I have surprised myself. I confess I enjoyed it. Xaax. But it isn't really me, negative energy and all that. Experimenting over until somebody really messes with me. :mad:

Jamilah   

Originally posted by Bishitta:

But then again would a room full of strangers really be discussing whether couples should take shower together, or how Mahad went sleep on his new bride. L0L. I highly doubt it!

Knowing that is a great source of comfort, I could only imagine my reaction at such a conversation. I would probably die of embarrassment. Coroners report: died from mortification . That actually reminds me of a recent incident. I was going to work accompanied by some friends when I saw a Somali lady who recognised me I greeted her politely assuming she was a family friend, mind you this is a couple of weeks after my cousin got married. She asked about my cousin and I informed to everything was going well (alxamdullilah) and then she gave me a mischievous grin and whispered "Habayar, Ma aqal gashay". I was horrified and mortified :eek: and I blinked blankly at the woman who was looking at me expectantly I just murmured I didn’t know (despite my instinct to slap her).

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Animal Farm:

I wouldn’t worry thou, most of the people on SOL know each other outside of SOL, I would say majority of them. You’re among good people I wouldn’t worry.

Is this place that incestous?! Should I be checking over my shoulder for ppl I have offended! :eek: