Sign in to follow this  
Rokko

Beckham May Be Bound for Barcelona

Rokko   

Dang, I can't believe this...What do you guys think,???I couldnt' believe when I read the news u know, This guy is becoming huge by the min.

sow_1055259182.jpgBy Bill Barclay

LONDON (Reuters) - English champion Manchester United announced on Tuesday it was ready to accept a bid from Barcelona for England captain David Beckham.

The unspecified offer followed a meeting between United officials and Joan Laporta, one of the candidates to become Barcelona's club president in Sunday's vote.

The bid is subject to Laporta winning the presidential race and to midfielder Beckham, English soccer's most famous player, agreeing terms with the Spanish club.

The 28-year-old is reported to earn 100,000 pounds ($165,000) a week after signing a contract with United in May 2002 taking him up to June 2005.

Beckham's transfer would almost certainly smash the British record of 30 million pounds, paid to Leeds United by Manchester United for defender Rio Ferdinand in July 2002.

"Manchester United confirms that club officials have met Joan Laporta, the leading candidate for the presidency of Barcelona," a United statement said.

"These meetings have resulted in an offer being made for the transfer of David Beckham to Barcelona.

"This offer is subject to a number of conditions and critically to both Mr. Laporta being elected president on June 15 and Barcelona subsequently reaching agreement with David Beckham on his personal contract.

"Manchester United confirms that in the event that all of the conditions are fulfilled then the offer would be acceptable."

Midfielder Beckham, who has been linked with a number of top Spanish and Italian clubs, is on holiday in the United States.

Laporta's bid to become Barcelona president has gained support in recent weeks, but advertising executive Lluis Bassat was favorite to win before Tuesday's news.

Laporta's negotiations with Manchester United were carried out by Sandro Rosell, Laporta's right-hand man.

"We have an agreement with Manchester United," Rosell told Radio Marca from Barcelona.

"We've followed FIFA rules all along the way and after reaching agreement with the club we will now speak with the player.

"Beckham is on holiday at the moment and we'll wait until he gets back on Friday night. We'll contact him and explain our project."

LEAVE UNITED

Beckham hinted for the first time on Tuesday he could be ready to leave United, the club he has played for since signing as a trainee.

"I am a Manchester United player...as long as they want me, then I'll stay," he told the Los Angeles Times newspaper.

"I have never said that I'd never move away from Manchester and I have never said that I'd end my career there."

Advertising mogul Bassat began the campaign for the Barcelona presidency as an overwhelming favorite, with lawyer Laporta a rank outsider polling only around five percent.

Laporta has gained support since news of his interest in signing Beckham was made public, however, and in the latest newspaper polls over the weekend he was within three points of his chief rival.

Around 95,000 Barcelona club members have the right to choose the new president in Sunday's vote.

Most of the six candidates are trying to tempt the voters with the sort of eye-catching deal that brought Florentino Perez victory in the Real Madrid presidential campaign in 2000.

Then, Perez unseated the incumbent Lorenzo Sanz after announcing he had an agreement to sign Luis Figo from Barcelona.

Newly crowned European champions AC Milan and Real Madrid, the only club in the world to rival Manchester United's fame, are also reported to be interested in Beckham.

But AC Milan president, Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi, poured cold water on the reports on Monday, saying his club had better things to spend their money on than Beckham.

N.O.R.F   

what can he do if fegie doesnt want him any longer, but i still think he will stay, he is bigger than the club and if he stays do u think fergie can keep him out of the team? i dont think so, the fans are already unhappy with the manager!

I read that real madrid are also in the hunt for his sig, why go to barcelona??? no champ league, heavily in debt and poor players at the mo,

lambda   

Barcelona will not play international next season so beckham should go to real.

He can play in his favourite position if figo moves to Manu.

That would be the best solution for both Teams .

LANDER   

AC Milan president, Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi, poured cold water on the reports on Monday, saying his club had better things to spend their money on than Beckham.

he he he...I like that quote, Beckham is overated. As for Real might needing Beckham, that is a joke intself..lol.

RaMpAgE   

bacerlona wasting their money, i don't think becham will make them any better, the guy is overated just becuz hes british.what load of bs :mad:

N.O.R.F   

i cannot remember a most talked about transfer in football history, this puts Figo's transfer to Real in the shade!

lambda   

Beckham will move to Real he already have a deal with reals president peres.

He is a superstar in asia and they will make a lot of money with his name.

LANDER   

One question..

If Figo stays with Real, and Real also gets Beckham, where will Beckham play??

Zidane and figo seem to be running his normal positions. Either way I think bringing Beckham to Real will not only be a waste of money, but it will also result in a "Too many stars" scenario. Read my lips people BECKHAM=OVERATED,

I think real can learn a thing or too from the AC MILAN president.

N.O.R.F   

lander; i think we agree on beckam being over-rated but its business, beckam=money to be made off his name (shirt sales, sponsors, image etc etc!

Baaniyal   

yep just like northerner said, beckham will make any team who buys him,some crazy money.Especially in North America and Asia. Real will employ him as they employ the other englishman Steve "i Like the bench" Mcmanamen. Still Manu have to be teh biggest pretenders in the history of Football,Beckham is Manu. Now they think a flashy Brazilian who will take atleast a year to adjust to the english game,will take them to teh promise land.

N.O.R.F   

looks like hes headed for Real afterall, i actually think its a good for the geezer, if he aint a better player by Euro 2004 with all thm players around him, i will be surprised!

LANDER   

lool@baaniyaal

I hope beckham joins his friend McManamen on the REAL bench, but with the money there gonna be payin him, probably not gonna happen.

lambda   

Like i said beckham made the deal with peres long time ago .

What is real up to ,instead of buying good defense players they spend all the money for offense!

We know what happened when makalele was missing in the semifinal against juventus.

Yep Winger u would walk the Premiership title if u land him. But brace urself i think Barac have entered teh race and Ronaldhnio seems keen on the move.