Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Asia's Unwanted Girls

Well As to Somali going to war over that, at this time in our lives, i guess i can say that Somali people would fight about anything. But again that mentality is associated with women in cultures such as those to be a "property" not a human being. When a woman's life value is less than of dogs, it's hard to see anyone being upset about their deaths. U know what, i can see how this might for some people be about the survival of fittest. I mean if u keep a girl and she has to compete with other guyz for everything, it's correct to assume that a woman would at one stage be not strong enough to do so. Another part for the survival mentality of families, is the practice that when a woman marries a man she takes his name and drops her family's name, so that sense of imortality having something of urs live on for eternity, isn't really continued with women. Such practice could be seen in Somali culture, where it isn't the name, but the tribes name of the father, that children carry on.

I am in no way excusing those actions, but it wasn't something that was born one day, and it wouldn't be something ending in one day. And we ourselves must be careful, that over the next generations we don't come to the same mentality of having men lives be more valuable than women!!!

SCORPION.......

after i read many different ideas of u guys written there. It is clear for me that u think this culture is not good.

well let me tell u onething, i have been in india for more than 3years. i have completed my degree over there. i know better the indian culture and their own traditions. well every country and every culture belongs to some nation have the bad and good sides. i think u all guys told about this traditions and no one has seen it pratically. Well when u r told these things u might see it as weird, anyways i do object to call this as a weird. walahi they have better culture than ours. basically we have no culture if we somalis. but the so-called culture that we have is nothing comparing to the indian and asian cultures. it is long way to explain what difference we have according to these cultures. but there is onething that can not be compared to these cultures. if i take one example. no somali woman respects her husband as an indian woman would do.

hmmm i have read what u said, and i went back to my earlier response in this topic, and in it no way did i say it was "weird" or said that this culture is "bad" and had nothing good about it. In my response, i am addressing that problem which exist in asian countries, their mentality toward women, and trying to see what the causes. In indian culture, and some places still today, practiced having a woman being burned with her dead husband, as if her life wasn't worth living or she wasn't anything without him. Those are the behaviors we are angry at. As to me knowing about indian culture, u right i don't know a lot about it, and didn't even pretend to when i replied even though i am listening to an indian song. We might not have a lot of cultural celerbrations or rituals, in part due to our islamic religion, as the indian or chiness do, but that in no way gives u the right to be little our culture. As u yourself said there is bad and good in every culture. Now to as to no Somali woman respecting her husband like Indian woman, let me just say that maybe I don't touch your feet everyday, or even starve myself for for my husband to get a long life in full moon time, but I will ask for his health, strength, and happiness five times a day when I pray to Allah.

Since I was the disignated driver as you mentioned my name first, i am in no way representing the opinions of every nomad here. So what I say stands for me now personally, so please don't try to generalise my response here.

Senora   

THOSE WHO CAN'T AFFORD DOCTERS SIMPLY GIVE AWAY THEIR CHILDREN

Just coming from my Global Issues class, we were discussing this very same topic, I just wanted to point out that iIn China abortion is given for free, so most of the cases deal with women who abort their child when they find out it's a girl. It's still very sad :(

Boyz-at-LoveZone....Iam one who used the word " wierd"....N My apologies if it was little insensatative. The cultures of Asia are ancient , beautiful and rich cultures, but just like any other human cultures , Asian cultures have their downside.We are not putting down or degrading these cultures. We are merely discussing important social issues that goes in these cultures.I have lived in south Asia , pakistan to be more specific. Though pakistan is muslim country , it still holds on much of its past hindu culture much like we somalis have some of our past pagan beliefs in culture. I have seen first hand that women in that part of world are violated beyond belief. India might be rich in culture but there is a lot of ugly things that goes on in that culture. One can't excuse it by hiding behind centurie's old beliefs. Iam sure things like cannabilism , incest and human sacafrices were common in many human cultures but those things came to end coz people ended these cultural behaviors as everyone it is violating humanity. No matter how one puts it , killings of innocent babies is simply wrong and immoral. N about Indian wives being more respectul to their husbands , i beg to differ , it is more servititude than respect. Coz of the taboo associated with divorce in their culture, Indian women have no chioce but put up with their husbands even if they are very abusive. Unlike somalis and many other cultures, a life of a woman in india is ruined if she is divorced by husband. They don't have luxury of re-marrying agian.

Scorpoin-sista....I think you are right , parents might see sons as better investment. They might their sons as someone who carry on the family name.

Princess-Sexy.....I would to see what the chinise will do when they are more men than women?...it is sad situation!