Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Idol TV Show: a Somali brother tries

I have come to recognize that we Somalis are good at being Somalis. The following piece is a good reminder for all of us to stay Somali, period.

Here is Liibaan's first try. He tries a Somali song. The judges love it.

http://au.australianidol.yahoo.com/contestants/liban_aden/

Here is Liibaan's second try. He tries a western Song. He fails.

http://au.australianidol.yahoo.com/contestants/liban_aden/

liban_nlt.jpg(Australia) -- Liban, literally translated, means "God bless you". This twenty-one year old from Melbourne lived in Somalia for the first half of his life. In Liban's own words, "The war started when I was about eight years old. It was a tribal war. My father and my brother were killed. It was sad because my father was a good man. He was kind and he liked to help other people. He was killed just because he was from a different tribe. Things were getting harder and the war was getting bigger so the rest of my family and I moved to Kenya. We were there for two years and then we came to Australia."

Liban and his family have been in Oz for six years now. When he first arrived, Liban couldn't speak any English at all and he was put straight into Year 11 high school. He struggled terribly with the language barrier but his teachers helped him out a lot. "They were so nice to me. I really liked the teachers."

As a child, Liban used to be very shy, but he gradually overcame his shyness and grew in confidence, particularly with his singing. "Every afternoon, people would come together and we would all sing. The girls would ask me to sing and they would be surprised that I could sing so well, but when I sang, they used to cry!"

Singing with his friends in Somalia was the sum total of Liban's exposure. He has never had professional singing lessons and has rarely had the chance to sing in public. Even in Melbourne, Liban has never performed in theatres, clubs or pubs - simply because no one has asked him! Liban has always wanted to be a singer. "I want people to enjoy my voice. When you have a gift it is good to share it."

The Somalian song that Liban sang at his Melbourne audition, which bought Mark Holden to tears, was a tale about a man who wanted to marry a beautiful woman. The man asked his best friend to talk to the woman's family and to get their permission on his behalf for him to marry her. But, the best friend fell in love with the woman and he ended up marrying her instead. The lonely man was left besotted and broken-hearted. Liban's performance at this audition was incredibly honest and moving.

On his Idol experience, he says, "I had to really push myself to go on Australian Idol but I wasn't nervous at all. I was happy! But I worried so much, I forgot the words to the song I tried to sing in Sydney."

Following his Idol appearance, Liban now gets recognised in Melbourne. "I was on the street the other day and this girl stopped me and she said to me 'oh, Liban, you are so good!' Then she took a photo of me!" Life seems to be looking up for this blessed young man.

Australian Idol contestant falls further for kicking bashed man

By David Adams

October 8, 2003

08IDOL.jpgAn Australian Idol contestant was placed on a community-based order yesterday after pleading guilty to kicking a man two or three times while the man lay on a path after being king-hit from behind at the Geelong Railway Station. Liban Issak Aden, 21, of Flemington, was not convicted in Geelong Magistrates Court, but ordered to complete 50 hours of unpaid community work over six months after pleading guilty to one count each of recklessly causing injury and assault by kicking.

Ahmed Mukhtar Ibrahim, 26, of Reservoir, pleaded guilty to similar charges. He was convicted and ordered to complete 100 hours of unpaid community work over the next year.

Magistrate Jon Klestadt said Ibrahim struck the most serious blow and caused the most serious injuries.

Aden, who was emotional during the hearing, made it to the semi-finals of Australian Idol on a wildcard in mid-September, but was cut.

Prosecutor Senior Constable Peter Murrihy told the court that Aden and Ibrahim were among four people who travelled from Melbourne to Geelong on February 8 this year.

During an altercation early the next morning, Ibrahim had struck a companion, Cisman Ciise, 27, on the back of the head, causing him to fall down concrete steps.

While Mr Ciise lay at the base of the stairs, Ibrahim and Aden had kicked him and left him lying on

I can't either flying_still....he did have a good voice when singing the Somali song...but dear god what was up with his voice during the "Western Song"? And oh my god..white people are so gulliable...why did he cry? icon_razz.gif

Intel   

Originally posted by flying-still:

I cant make out what the somali song he is singing is?

he was singing af eelay nooh

Agree, one should always remain true to one’s origin.

Oh Dear and a big one at that – that was a rather harsh if honest review, but then again life in general is. That was Hurileey Huriyaaw, a beautiful song with a twist of Boys to Men melody – Maay language of course – by Hassan Adam Samatar. The tune is all I recognise – unfortunately know none of the lyrics. Perhaps our resident Maay experts could share the lyrics with us.

What is with the emotions and tears though? Bugger it - Rough it mate!

Xafsa   

The Somalian song that Liban sang at his Melbourne audition, which bought Mark Holden to tears, was a tale about a man who wanted to marry a beautiful woman. The man asked his best friend to talk to the woman's family and to get their permission on his behalf for him to marry her. But, the best friend fell in love with the woman and he ended up marrying her instead. The lonely man was left besotted and broken-hearted.

I want the words to that song! I love the tune....heart breaking!

Zakariye – Perhaps I should have mentioned how talented Liban is as I felt that was given - indeed a beautiful song with an exceptional voice when singing in Somali. He undoubtedly can carry a tune in Somali. Let me add that I shall be buying his first album if he ever decides to embark on a career in music –Somali of course. Are we on the same page?

I didnt specify ur role MISS... you could be the friend who stole the women (or in ur case man)... or u could be the woman...

Liban has a really good voice - in Somali. I loved the song..should definitely listen to the panel n think international.

Xafsa   

^^^ yeah..I'm in the habit of stealing men from my gal friends! ;)

lol..I could be the woman that was stolen? What am I an object?

Girly, we only point out that we are NOT objects when we talking to the males.

Its sorta like nigga... we can say it, but coming from a white person, its plain racism :D