Sign in to follow this  
Warrior of Light

First meadow voles... but could men be next?

Injection could trigger end to adultery

Thursday 17 June 2004, 3:08 Makka Time, 0:08 GMT

First meadow voles... but could men be next?

Scientists have a created a simple injection that would prevent your partner

from cheating – provided your partner is a meadow vole.

A single gene inserted into the brain can change promiscuous male rodents

into faithful, monogamous partners, scientists said on Wednesday.

It may not be quite that simple to rein in human philanderers - many genes

as well as other factors are probably involved in relationships among people

But researchers at the Yerkes National Primate Research Centre of Emory University and Atlanta's Centre for Behavioural Neuroscience (CBN) in the

United States said their rodent results could help to explain the neurobiology of romantic love.

"Our study...provides evidence in a comparatively simple animal model, thatchanges in the activity of a single gene profoundly can change a fundamental social behaviour of animals within a species," said Larry Young a researcher at the university.

Gene transferred in virus

"It is intriguing to consider that individual differences in vasopressin receptors in humans might play a role in how differently people form

relationships" Larry Young,Researcher, Emory University He and his colleagues, who reported their research in the science journal Nature, used a harmless virus to transfer the gene for a key hormone involved in sexual behaviour from monogamous prairie voles into the brains

of their randy relatives, the meadow voles.

After the gene transfer, the previously promiscuous meadow voles had less of a roving eye and showed a distinct preference for their current partners.

Earlier research had shown that prairie voles, which form life-long partnerships, had higher levels of receptors for the hormone vasopressin in

an area of the brain called the ventral pallidum, than meadow voles.

Introducing the gene increased the natural levels of the receptor and enhanced the meadow voles' ability to form pair bonds. Previous studies have also suggested that the receptors may play a role in disorders such as autism, and that brain pathways involved in romantic relationships also play a part in drug addiction."It is intriguing," said Young, "to consider that individual differences in vasopressin receptors in humans might play a role in how differently people

form relationships."

Agencies

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jaabir   

Originally posted by SisSade:

Injection could trigger end to adultery

Scientists have a created a simple injection that would prevent your partner

from cheating – provided your partner is a meadow vole.

I have that gene in my brain "STANDARD"... so no need to inject me with none :D:D

i wonder if there is a gene that can be planted in women’s brain to keep them from gossiping ;)

"It's not about blaming the wife. It can't be. I mean, cheating is ridiculous. It's wrong. And you can't justify it," Gary says. "My book is about one thing. It's really about empowering women. If I can give you knowledge that says that I could have proof that if you do certain things, you can lead your relationship to a better place, that will be much better for you as well because it's not just about stopping tragedy. It's about building a much more mutually beneficial relationship."

besides sex