Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Do you really want to live that long?

I was watching this story on frontline web page about America's ever increasing elderly population estimated to reach 70 million (20% of the population). This will have massive economical, social and political impact on the society.

The advancement in medicine means people are no longer dying from acute diseases, but they are living longer only to succumb to chronic diseases that require constant care which proves to be very costly and emotionally exhausting for the individual family as well as the larger society.

Imagine yourself as patient or the relative of patient that needs a longterm care as result of chronic diseases, would you go under life-saving measures to prolong life or would just opt out and let nature take its course which allows to die in dignified manner rather than rot in hospital bed.

Personally I wanna die before I lose my functions, and ability to do things own.

Well it depends, most people would want to put up with a prolonged but miserable existence because they wanted to accomplish something. If you've accomplished everything, did, felt, seen everything you wanted to, I'm sure most people would prefer death over living in pain.

Personally, I would want to grow as old as possible, because I fear death. I'd want every possible life-prolonging treatment available to me (I know it doesn't really prolong the life you're given, but you know what I mean).

But let's say I had just completed my Hajj and I was forgiven for all my sins, I'd rather die really really soon. Mostly because I won't have much time to commit more sins, and really if you can be fairly certain(ish) of not going to hell, what is the point of living?

The only reason any of us are holding unto the process of life, loss, decay and sickness is because we fear what might come after we die (in our case, maybe hell/judgement....for atheists, the fact that you get nothing else when the plug is pulled).

However, isn't the real problem that Islamically speaking we have to do everything humanly possible to stay alive and healthy (correct me if I'm wrong)? That means, even if you return from hajj, you can't just lie down in your bed, throw away the medicine and hope that the flu will knock you into an early grave.

So it doesn't really matter whether we want to grow old or not, it seems like we have no choice but to try.

One more reason laga cararo this society. The day aad isku filnaan weysid, oo infirm noqotid meel baas ayaa laguugu tuuraa alone, at best.

Living without enjoying the fruits of life, such as confined to wheelchair or at bed, plus with all those psychological effects, is not real nolol.

I tell you I hate this century!! I want to freeze my a$$ till an age we could buy a holiday house @ Mars and Robots do everything for us.. WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA yes sir!!!

A long life has its perks. My great-grandmother is still alive. She's 95 and lives 15mins from me. She's tiny but boy does she have a mouth on her! I'm very very grateful to have her around, alhamdulilaah.

mhhhhh i for one think am gona cling on this world untill the angel of death beeps me if that is 110yrs so be it. I'd like to grow very old as slowly as possible becoz growing old gracefully its just not me. If that means freazing my birthday to a specific age so be it, i am sure with all the scientific methods out there we can stop age creeping on uz untill THE BIG DAY ARRIVES. I for one intend to stay 27 for 10yrs i shall never give in to old age.

"No woman should ever be quite accurate about her age. It looks so calculating."

Oscar Wilde