Sign in to follow this  
Crystal_Clear

This guy claims to Cure AIDS

Gambia's President Claims to Cure AIDS-By: The New York Times 15 Mar 2007

Gambia’s President Claims to Cure AIDS

By Robert Mackey

Yahya Jammeh, president of Gambia, treating an H.I.V. patient at the State House in Banjul, Gambia. (Photo: A.P.)A report on the English-language Web site of Spiegel Online draws our attention to Yahya Jammeh, the president of Gambia, who claims that he has the power to cure H.I.V. and AIDS, but can do so only on Thursdays. Yahya Jammeh, 41 years old, has been the president of bitterly poor Gambia since seizing power in a putsch in 1994. In the three so-called elections since then, he has not relinquished his seat. Among his achievements to date have been giving Gambia’s 1.6 million citizens an impressive triumphal arch — just like Napoleon gave the French — as well as founding Gambia’s first and only university.

Now he has gone a step further. A few weeks ago, Jammeh summoned his followers and a few ambassadors, dignitaries and TV reporters to announce in a garbled address that, having made some fantastic discoveries, he is now capable of curing AIDS (as well as asthma). The president admitted to his astonished audience that the therapies still had a few limitations — he could only cure AIDS on Thursdays. Asthma, on the other hand, could be treated only on Fridays and Saturdays. an estimated 20,000 Gambians — about 1.2 percent of the population — are infected with HIV. Jammeh claims to have successfully treated nine of them in January, and 27 more in February. He takes equal pride in the 500 asthma victims that he’s cured. And he promises to take action soon to eliminate other diseases, since he claims to have a “mandate” — apparently from none other than God himself.

International aid organizations are horrified to find that thousands of infected Gambians are hoping to be treated by the president. Jammeh says he’ll heal anyone, young or old. He won’t take payment, but he does make one stipulation: those who are taking anti-viral medication must stop doing so immediately. Two respected HIV/AIDS experts promptly handed in their resignation in protest. according to an Associated Press report, the main elements of the treatment are “a green herbal paste” that Mr. Jammeh, a former army colonel, rubs on to the skin of the patients he sees, and “a bitter yellow drink” he has them swallow.

The Daily Observer, a Gambian newspaper, has a full transcript of the president’s remarkable statement, in which he delivered “the good news” that “I now have the mandate to cure people publicly.” He also stressed that “the bad news is that I cannot treat more than ten patients every Thursday. There is nothing I can do about it, and if I go beyond that I will have to pay the price.”

Not surprisingly, international aid workers combatting H.I.V. and AIDS in Gambia are taken aback by the president’s claims, and by the fact that the country’s health minister, Dr. Tamsir Mbowe, recently told the Sky News reporter Emma Hurd that it was “one hundred percent the president can cure everyone, it is absolutely medically proven.” Ms. Hurd’s report included an interview with the resident coordinator of U.N. operations in Gambia, Fadzai Gwaradzimba, who expressed this concern: If people start to believe there is a cure, then they will start to engage in risky behavior, and that could mean even more of a problem with AIDS in this continent.

The day after Ms. Hurd’s report was broadcast, the president published a statement on his official Web site calling it “full of misinformation, lies and absurdities,” and complaining that Ms. Gwaradzimba’s comments were “irresponsible and most unexpected.” The day after that, Ms. Gwaradzimba, Reuters reported, “was given 48 hours to leave the country” by the Gambian government. It has fallen to the Gambian expatriate community to publically criticize the president. The Gambia Echo, an online newspaper based in North Carolina, published an editorial written by Fa K. J. Jadama-Ojiambo in Nairobi, suggesting that “our current President Yahya Jammeh has apparently gone mad.”

By Robert Mackey

Taliban   

Originally posted by Emperor:

Indeed the man has gone mad!

Why? 'Cause he's African and only blue-eyed Anglo-Saxons cure diseases and illnesses? Because he's a Muslim, I give him the benefit of doubts and two thumbs up for his efforts.

Emperor   

^^Did you read the whole story

If I am not wrong, when the story was publicised the President denied such claims. What does this suppose to mean then if not a sign of madness.

Taliban   

Did you read the whole story

I have been following the story with enthusiasm since few weeks ago. And no; I don't agree with you that brother Yahya Jammeh is mad. You and him are Muslims; you're supposed to defend your Muslim brother, not ridicule him!

Go figure:.........

Emperor   

^^Sxb are you just picking on me?

Brother I am Muslim, I respect the brother and his great findings, however, he's denied the story when it was made public.

Now I as a person can't say I can do something and later refute it when it is in the public domain, that's quite ingenius.

We as Muslim are supposed to judge people by the behaviour and character decency and not by their name or belief. Having said that, Im not in any way or form trying to ridicule the bother.

Taliban   

Now I as a person can't say I can do something and later refute it when it is in the public domain, that's quite ingenius.

So, what does saying something and refuting it later got to do with being mad? One can retract or refute what he said, and it doesn't have to do with being mad. If he refuted what he said, he must have his own reasons. Try to rationalize that.

Emperor   

^^Rationality is a very sensitive route that I mostly avoid, after all we aren't in a court and he isn't a criminal for his remarks.

As for the mad comment, to claim something and restract from it later is a bit of madness to me, and for your info "mad" isn't that bad of a description to me.

Just only suites this light case.