Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

Cushy Jail life for War Criminals

SeeKer   

Private cells stocked like college dormitories, personal computers, wooden bookcases, trainer, spiritual room, tv sets, kitchen, free legal aid to the tune of $43,000/month not to mention family visits/conjugal visits from home countries all footed by the International Criminal Court. Known by the critics as the Hague Hilton, the detention center including its staff, run up a yearly bill of $102 million. All this and not one conviction! NYT

Its sickening that people who have slaughtered entire generations can have such standards of living while the victims beg for justice :(

Which leads to how we view our justice systems in our respective countries and how they 'accomodate' convicts. Are some luxuries a bit over board? MN had a controversy a few months back when one of our correctional facilities got plasma TVs for the convicts. An unwanted luxury some exclaimed and demanded that state money be put to better use.

What r ur thoughts?

The whole thing is a farce anyway.

there are men who truly belong there and are much more deserving then the current guests.

so unless that is rectified let the current occupants enjoy their stay.

SeeKer   

^How do you feel abt the correctional facilities then? Since many claim there are wrongly convicted should tax payers foot the bill for cable? Heat? Electricity?

correctional facilities have more legitmacy in my eyes .. the law is applied equally (most of the time).

The ICC is a political kanagroo court .. how do they indict umar- al-bashir and they stay mum on the genocide/mass starvation isreal is comitting.

how about the 1 million innocent 'iraqis' that have been murdered by uncle sam

unless they are willing to take on all war criminals and not just the ones who are not propped by western governments .. they are worthless.

p.s tax payers do foot the bill to house inmates .. CA is even considering letting non-volient on probation to bring down the cost of housing them.

SeeKer   

Geel_jire, I would argue that the Hague is a perfect illustration of what lady justice stands for. The people indicted are people who are lower on the totem pole when it comes to power. Nevertheless, it does represent a form of justice albeit a flawed one.

I also don't think you can politically call what Israel is doing as mass starvation. There are two sides to this story and we tend to over magnify palestine side. This is not to say Palestine has no legitimate claim but that their approach might be a pose a problem when looking for Western support. Lets remember that at one time parts of Lebanon did belong to Israel and so did parts of Egypt and Israel conceded to them.

As for tax payers footing the bill, I do believe some amenities given to convicts are a bit overboard and should be meted out per their reformation status. There has to be some checks and balances in place.

Thats alot better than the one i was in few yrs back. The food that they fed you was some of the nastiest thing i've eaten. It was made by other inmates, and it was just awful.