Sign in to follow this  
Zafir

The Millennials Are Coming!

Zafir   

Gen Y I caught this clip the past Sunday and thought it was really interesting. The impact Gen Y is creating in the business world is staggering to say the least. I think most of us in some ways relate to what’s being portrayed in this video however way we slice it.

In a world that was up worldly mobile, I think we are being represented as a generation that won’t be replacing it. Mainly because of the “Me or I come first factor”, not getting married to more divorce rate, fever kids to none at all and etc.

I am not saying baby boomers were/are right, but what do you guys think of Gen Y?

Originally posted by Zafir:

I caught this clip the past Sunday and thought it was really interesting. The impact Gen Y is creating in the business world is staggering to say the least. I think most of us in some ways relate to what’s being portrayed in this video however way we slice it.

In a world that was up worldly mobile, I think we are being represented as a generation that won’t be replacing it. Mainly because of the “Me or I come first factor”, not getting married to more divorce rate, fever kids to none at all and etc.

I am not saying baby boomers were/are right, but what do you guys think of Gen Y?

Generation Y is a wonderful generation. My work place is populated with them and i am telling you,its catching up to me.

Ipod at work-Check

Flipflops-Check

Facebook uncensord-check

quitting anytime-check.LOL

I love these guys. No stress,indeediyo!

Zafir   

^^Exactamundo, I find that their priorities are not valuable in terms of dignity, commitment, stability, responsibility and etc. I do however understand that this generalization has both extremes in the margin. Do you guys think that our generation won’t replace it self, was what I meant to ask earlier.

They say there are about 5 to 6 more years left of the baby boomers era; it just makes you wonder the significant impact generation Y is going to have on the world.

Blessed   

You oldies are just hating! Time to increase you pension contributions. :D

This is a document excerptEXECUTIVE SUMMARY

The professional workforce is dramatically changing as a new generation of younger, college-educated workers launches their careers. The "Millennials" — those born between 1980 and 2000 — have an innate ability to use technology, are comfortable multitasking while using a diverse range of digital media, and literally demand interactivity as they construct knowledge. Millennials lack the workaholic drive of their burned-out predecessors, but they compensate by using many technologies — often simultaneously — to get the job done quickly and have a personal life as well. They don't have the skills and experience of the many retirees they are replacing, but they look to technology to help fill this gap. Managers must understand the work style differences among the multigenerational workforce and develop collaborative work environments that give Millennials the information they need — just in time and integrated with the job.

Baashi   

I have watched the entire segment and if I'm not mistaken the thesis goes like this:

The gen under the miscroscope are spoiled, naive, expect too mich, need a lot of babysitting, and don't have that burning ambition for upward mobility, wealth, career advancement, and what not in the belly and hence they tend to walk away from the job if they don't like how the boss do things or their vactaion spot on the calendar is altered.

The other thing the narrator emphaszied is the fact that this gen is a one who get used to "all are winners" idea. They are willing to go back and live with their parents and tata.

Good news mag. 60 Minutes is one of the best investigative reports around.

The sooner the oldies retire the sooner we'll have more efficient teams. Age is a demographic that makes resultant work values and attitudes hard to overstep. Gen Yers are going to be more effective if you consider that organizational structures, corporate cultures and managing styles are all changing to put more emphasis on 'engaging work'. Work that is not necessarily harder, longer or instills values of proper work ethic (whatever that was traditionally defined to be) but work that is richer in experience, more meaningful and affords balance. Instant gratification and fast success stories thats fed to them from the media might give this gen. skewed ideas and a certain entitlement attitude when it comes to work. But on the whole they are not completely hopeless, and they can replace the baby boomer generation just fine. :D

Baashi   

That's least of ur worries babe. If you haven't figured it all out yet, THEY will die out pretty soon. By the way the kids the program talk about are the ones with talent -- first row of the pack. They got degrees (not Women's studies, African studies toilet paper) but the degrees that matter in the "productivity" fast lane world.

They are talented, got numerous offers, and can hop to different nest anytime they want. Heads up all the kids here -- check before u act up in the office smile.gif

That said, I do agree ur take on the post. Just got ticked of the age thang.