Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Soomaali myths

There are a substantial peculiar Soomaali cultural myths out there.

Some may be regional customs, while others are nation-wide.

Those that I can think of now:

1. Upside down shoes insult Eebbe [Alle]. So most Soomaalis always try to turn properly face up if they see any shoe facing the wrong way up. [i still practice this, though it is ridiculous I know. :D ]
  2. If a crow bird rests on a tree next to a house at an avening for a considerable time, that household's people will soon experience a tragedy, possibly a death among those who live there on the coming days.
  3. Neighbours should not ask and get salt [cusbo] at night from one another.
  4. Putting salty sea water in a bottle infront of people's homes, because they ward off evil eyes. [We used to put this infront of our qooleey's (pigeons') saxafad, their little homes we boys built.]
  5. Xirsi. Writing some holy ayaado [most important ones such as 'aayad kursi'] from the Quraanka Kariimka on a paper and then putting it under a small animal hide and finally stitching. The child wears it as a kuul or a necklace camal. Reer Miyi people practice this. This too is believed to wards off unwanted evil eyes and to protect the child from harm.
  6. If you see a cat giving birth, you will be rich one day. [ :D most absurd them of all, mostly believed by children and some adults. I remember always being lookout any makulaal giving birth. It was impossible to witness. Cats back home during birth go meel aan la arkin.]
Intaas ayaan ka xasuustaa caawa.

Som@li   

8. If you come across a black cat on the road, it is considered as unlucky, this one is world myth.

Biixi   

1. Upside down shoes insult Eebbe [Alle]. So most Soomaalis always try to turn properly face up if they see any shoe facing the wrong way up. [i still practice this, though it is ridiculous I know. ]

Qof quurinaayo haddaa kabta oo roggan madaxiisa ag dhigto quurada waa ay istaageysaa. Something with magneticism!!!!

Ariadne   

what about saying a little prayer beofre you go into the washroom so a demon does not enter you by the souls of your feet.

Ariadne   

what about saying a little prayer beofre you go into the washroom so a demon does not enter you by the soles of your feet.