Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Berbera Waterfront

I was actually laughing, I got great respect for Somaliland and all but honestly in all those years and Hargeisa still looks like some kind of 3rd world little village. it's the same problem where I'm from, we build a house in the middle of the desert and call it development. I think Somaliland will really grow only when/if its recognized.

^ haha, so true wallahi, I think Somalis aren't talented in building cities, they keep on saying magaalo but in reality their biggest city probably equals the area I live in now. Mogadishu looks so nice because the Italians build it.

NASSIR   

^MM, Who told you that Italians built Xamar? Estate Mansions opposite to the Benadir Hospital are [by example]properties of An immediate family. (Though now destroyed by war).

Che, Sure

looks like "effed up village" and Hargeisa as well as well.

JB, post some videos of Hargeisa saxib.

Naasir, the dude has a point. By 'building' wuxuu ula jeedaa by design, yacni Talyaaniga urban planning or design gareeye practically most of Xamar's old wide avenues, streets and zones. Dowladihii Soomaalidana dambena followed that. He wasn't implying private buildings.

Saas ugu wacan jidadka Xamar badanaa inay straight wada ahaayeen. Jid qaloocday waa iska yaraa.

P.S. I don't think there were mansions across Isbitaal Banaadir. That zone was industrial, not residential zone. Siiba isbitaalo u badnaa. After few blocks, Isbitaal Digfeer directly faced Isbitaal Banaadir. I am not sure waxa u dhaxeeye those two isbitaalo laakiin inay ahaayeen guryo ma moodi.

The villas were on the other side, across from Isgoyska Soobe and Lambarshan (KM 5), behind the that wide avenue.

Chimera   

Originally posted by Mad_Mullah:

^ haha, so true wallahi, I think Somalis aren't talented in building cities, they keep on saying magaalo but in reality their biggest city probably equals the area I live in now. Mogadishu looks so nice because the Italians build it.

What a load of nonsense, there are 40 historic cities in Somalia that directly refute your silly argument. These cities had economic zones, residential zones, places of worship and education long before any European imperialist entered the continent.

We boast some of the most romantic and unique cities in Africa that could rival any along the Mediterranean, Merka is a good example:

2064783500_e8645bf397_b.jpg

Secondly Mogadishu was already a well developed city by the time the Facists came:

25qycxs.jpg

Most of the construction projects that made Mogadishu Iconic was built by Medieval Somalis, Siad Barre and his Chinese partners, or Somali investors. We built the roads, the ports, the libraries, the museums, the stadiums, the old town, the schools, the residential areas etc. The dictator even made a legendary comment on how when he came to power there was only one road, he expanded all of that, so give credit where it is due! We built it and we destroyed it, and eventually will rebuilt it!

We lack at the moment capital to built roads and restore buildings to their former prime, because investors fear to put their money into a potential black hole. There are however multiple projects going on where Somalis are planning out their cities, Garowe is a good example.

^ lol at 40 historic cities, does it really matter how many cities we HAD, its about what we have today. And that's nothing. Sure Merca looks nice from the outside, and maybe even inside but non of the Somalis cities today look like a propper city. But don't become angry because cities like Beirut, Algiers, Rabat etc. were designed by the Europeans aswell.