Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Female genital mutilation: 'I was six years old and I screamed because I wanted to die'

^ understand, think its a combination of women empowerment,benefit of the diaspora and the media.The Somali media has become the most independent one in Africa due to the lack of authority for so long, the naturally independent nomad woman has seen the world,come back in droves and along with the local women are very outspoken,run atleast half the businesses if not more,they are a power to be wreckoned with thou still not very well organized and there also diaspora men along with thm.Time is also changing.

Authority in the home has tremendously eroded due to the civil wars & hardships(for good or bad this is the biggest change noticed by almost everyone) and has a lot to do with womens' freedom.This is by far the greatest catalyst.

Safferz   

Mods: please state that you've edited a post if you are going to do so, instead of rewriting my comment. I'd rather have a post deleted completely than have my words and their meaning altered. Far more insulting terms than "stupid" get a pass here on SOL, and it's my right to refer to someone's logic and line of thinking as stupid. In this case, it's more than that, it's also misinformed and dangerous.

This is all to say that I didn't say "I am in awe," burahadeer. I maintain that you have no idea what you're talking about and have zero grasp of an issue that affects the majority of Somali women. That's not up for debate, it is a fact whether you recognize it or not. The ignorance is astounding.

Anyway, I've lost interest in this thread, so I'm out.