Sign in to follow this  
thefuturenow

Clan Names

Good points by DK and Tallabo.

Abdi--First, I would suggest that you change your screen name.

Second, the clan system is ALREADY our political system. I cannot stress this enough. This means that YOUR LARGER SUB-CLAN is in power because they are A LARGER SUB-CLAN.

In essence, if war broke out, they would able to kill the other sub-clans and thus their power is real (and not derived from governmental or legal institutions).

Today, this clan power is being de-emphasized in order to create governmental institutions. But this is not to say that clans will become irrelevant. Rather, Somalis are trying to create multi-clan institutions--that do not favor a single clan.

Now, tell me--how can we go about this if we refuse to talk about clans?

Finally, those from smaller clans will be even more disadvantaged acknowledge this issue.

Take our current system, it only produces presidents and prime ministers from a few Sub-Clans. Almost everyone can guess from which clan the PM will be selected from depending on who is president.

Now--all the small clans know they have no chance to win the presidency or premiership.

Yet, you--the larger sub-clan wants them to shut up about qabiil when it comes to politics.

If you ask me, that looks like the larger sub-clans are benefiting from clan system, refusing to acknowledge it, and thereby failing to take responsibility for the protection of smaller clans.

At the very least, acknowledging this issue will make us more honest.

We are not French, we are not Germans, we are SOMALIS.

So we should design a political system and a Constitution which conforms to Somali culture. And Somalis are a very tribal people, so we should incorporate tribes into our political system in a unique manner.

There should be a group of two dozen or so thoughtful and educated Somalis, to sit down together, and design a political framework which incorporates clans but also adheres to Shariah Law and democratic principles. I know the Iranians designed a unique political framework in the 1980's, so the same can be done in Somalia. Somalis can design their own unique political system which includes clans.

The British political system consists of a "House of Lords", which is an unelected legislative body consisting of members from the Church of England. This does not exist here in America. And I'm sure that in America, there are political practices which are unique only to America.

Absolutely not. If you want to talk about Qabiil, goto Snet or the other million other Somali sites that allow it.

Let SoL remain one of the few Qabiil Free Zones on the Internet.