Sign in to follow this  
Admin

First picture of teen who stowed away in jet's wheel-well to see his mother in Africa - whom his father 'claimed had DIED in rocket attack'

Admin   

The stowaway teenager who miraculously survived a five hour flight to Hawaii hidden in the wheel well of a Boeing 767 was falsely told by his own father that his mother was dead – and he discovered the truth two years ago, it was claimed today.

Yahya Abdi – pictured here for the first time - ran away from the home he shares with his father, stepmother and siblings because he wanted to find his mom, who he has not seen since 2006.

His mother Ubah Mohamed Abdullahi, 35, was left heartbroken when she split from her husband Abdulahi Abdi Yusef.

Stowaway: This is Yahya Abdi, 15, the boy who stunned the world when he flew for more than five hours in the wheel well of a Boeing 767 from California to Hawaii on an apparent mission to visit his mother in Somalia

Stowaway: This is Yahya Abdi, 15, the boy who stunned the world when he flew for more than five hours in the wheel well of a Boeing 767 from California to Hawaii on an apparent mission to visit his mother in Somalia

He remarried a woman called Sainab Abdi and then left with Ubah’s three children to travel to the United States.

But she is now in the process of immigrating to America and is determined to win her children back, exclusively telling MailOnline, ‘I need my children and they need me’.

Speaking on the phone through a translator from the Sheed-dheer Refugee camp in Ethiopia, she explained how her ex-husband had told her children, Yahya, Yassir and Najma she was killed in a rocket attack in Mogadishu.

Home: This is a picture of Yahya Abdi, (top right) then aged 10 in November 2008 in the Boli District of Ethiopia

Home: This is a picture of Yahya Abdi, (top right) then aged 10 in November 2008 in the Boli District of Ethiopia

Apparently furious Yahya only found out she was still alive two years ago, through the local Somali community. 

The emotional mother said: ‘When they imigrated to the United they told the authorities I was dead.

'Then they later told my children I was killed in a rocket attack in Mogadishu. They killed me in my children’s minds. They violated me. 

‘If I could give a message to my son I would say, I am still alive and I will come one day. Please stay calm and do not do anything stupid.

‘I am extremely worried about my son. The fact he did what he did shows he’s unhappy. I need a psychologist to help him and make sure he doesn’t do anything stupid and kill himself.’

She went on: ‘I have been so worried and upset since I heard the news, I have been crying and crying. I have not seen my children since 2006 and I miss them. 

‘I am currently in the process of getting a sponsor to move to the United States. It is a long process, but I will come and I will get full custody of my children. 

‘I want the American Government to look after them until I come because I do not believe they are safe with their father and their stepmother. She treats my children badly, she has her own children and she doesn’t care about mine.

‘Their rights have been violated and so have mine. I have no rights in Africa. They were taken away by force and I didn’t have anyone to help me. I need help to get them back. That is what I dream of.’

And in a stinging attack on her ex-husband, she added: ‘If I had the chance to speak to him I would say, ‘You didn’t think of their rights because of the negative emotions you have towards me.

Amazing journey: Yahya Abdi, 15, sneaked into the wheel well of the Boeing 767 on Sunday and survived temperatures of -81F (-62C) during the five-and-a-half hour flight

Amazing journey: Yahya Abdi, 15, sneaked into the wheel well of the Boeing 767 on Sunday and survived temperatures of -81F (-62C) during the five-and-a-half hour flight

‘You are supposed to protect them and put them first, but you didn’t do what was best for them. Now look what has happened.’

Ubah split from her husband in 2000 and after he remarried, she says he took her children away from her and then moved to the United States in about 2006. 

On Wednesday, Yahya’s father said Allah saved the boy as he spoke out for the first time.

Abdilahi said he was shocked when Hawaiian authorities called him on Sunday to reveal they had found his son.

Yahya was found on the tarmac in Maui after climbing into a plane at a San Jose airport and then likely passing out when it took off - surviving low oxygen levels and freezing temperatures.

'When I watched the analysis about the extraordinary and dangerous trip of my son on local TVs and that Allah had saved him, I thanked God and I was very happy,' the relieved father told VOA.

'He was always talking about going back to Africa, where his grandparents still live,' his father said, adding that the living conditions there did not make going back an option.

A Santa Clara Police car drives past a house believed to be the home of a boy who stowed away in the wheel well of an airplane is seen on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Santa Clara Police car drives past a house believed to be the home of a boy who stowed away in the wheel well of an airplane is seen on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

He added that his son did not receive a good education in Africa and has struggled while at school in the U.S. He said that these school problems appeared to be bothering him.

Rebuke: Mukhtar Guleb, a cousin of Yahya¿s stepmother Sainab was critical of his mother's comments

Rebuke: Mukhtar Guleb, a cousin of Yahya¿s stepmother Sainab was critical of his mother's comments

But another family member has criticized Abdilahi’s interview, stating that Yahya is actually a very clever young man.

Mukhtar Guleb, a cousin of Yahya’s stepmother Sainab, has lived in the US for 17 years after moving from Somalia and he knows the family well.

He said: ‘‘Yahya is very clever. Where he came from in Somalia there were no schools, but he is still a clever boy.

'Maybe his grades suffered a bit in the last year or so because he was unhappy at home, but that is all. 

‘He thought his mother was dead and only found out she was alive two years ago. He was incredibly unhappy and very angry with his father.

‘He is a young boy, so he took the action he did. When you are a teenager you have incredible drive.

‘He will have no real concept of the size of the world and the size of Africa. He would have simply thought, ‘If I can get on a plane, I can get out in Africa and ask people where my mother is’. He was prepared to die to find her.’

He also went on to say his cousin Sainab treated Yahya badly, showing huge favouritism towards her own biological children.

He said: ‘She always shouts at Yahya, They really don’t get on. She thinks her own children are little kings and queens, but that is not the way she treats Yahya, Yassir and Najma.

Miraculous: The boy, identified by his father as Yahya Abdi, is pictured after he was found on the tarmac in Maui on Sunday. He ran away in an attempt to reunite with his mother, who lives in Somalia

Miraculous: The boy, identified by his father as Yahya Abdi, is pictured after he was found on the tarmac in Maui on Sunday. He ran away in an attempt to reunite with his mother, who lives in Somalia

‘They definitely get a bad deal from her. I do not think she is a nice person at all. And it seems Abdulahi does nothing to stop her.

‘I have heard Yahya ask his father to do something, but he doesn’t. I think he is irresponsible. He didn’t realise his own son was missing for 36 hours, that is not good. I believe he cares more about his wife than his children. He cannot control her.’

Finally he added: ‘This is a bad situation and there are only two options. Either he stays with dad and stepmother or the state look after him. I think the second option is best because he will be properly looked after.

Then, if and when his mother arrives in America she can take her children back.’ 

Following his ordeal, the teenager is ‘resting comfortably’ at a hospital in Hawaii, spokeswoman Kayla Rosenfeld of the state's Department of Human Services said in a statement.

The young Santa Clara resident is in the custody of the department's Child Welfare Services division, and officials were working to ensure his safe return to California, she said.

The teen's friends at Santa Clara High School were stunned to learn of his death-defying adventure.

Hiding place: This shows where the teenager stowed away on the Hawaiian Airlines Boeing 767

Hiding place: This shows where the teenager stowed away on the Hawaiian Airlines Boeing 767

‘He was kind of shy,’ Emanuael Golla told KGO-TV. ‘He really didn't speak that much. But we were all surprised about what happened. We didn't really think it was him, but we're happy to know that he's all right.’

The boy enrolled in Santa Clara High only a few months ago, after leaving nearby Oak Grove High School.

On Tuesday, it emerged that the 15-year-old runaway allegedly spent up to six hours undetected at Mineta San Jose International Airport after scaling a fence at around 1am.

In San Jose, airport officials said they were reviewing how the boy slipped through security that includes video surveillance, German shepherds and Segway-riding police officers.

After taking off around 8am, the Hawaiian Airlines jet landed in Maui at 10.30am (local time) and he eventually stumbled out of his hiding place an hour later.  

On Tuesday MailOnline revealed that he actually left his family home on Friday night, meaning he was missing for around 36 hours by the time he was found on the tarmac at Maui airport.

Despite his lengthy absence, Santa Clara police have confirmed his family did not file a missing persons report.

Home: The teen lived with his father and stepmother at this Santa Clara home - but vanished on Friday

Home: The teen lived with his father and stepmother at this Santa Clara home - but vanished on Friday

Breach: The boy scrambled over a fence at Mineta San Jose International Airport in the dark, crossed a tarmac and climbed into a jetliner's wheel well

Breach: The boy scrambled over a fence at Mineta San Jose International Airport in the dark, crossed a tarmac and climbed into a jetliner's wheel well

Manager: This is Marvin Moniz, the Maui District Airport manager responsible for Kahului Airport

Manager: This is Marvin Moniz, the Maui District Airport manager responsible for Kahului Airport

According to Maui airport manager Marvin Moniz, the boy did not want to go home to his father.

'He told us that he wanted to go and live with his mother,' he explained to MailOnline. 'He said he missed her.

'It was clear from talking to him that he was not happy and he did not want to return home. He did not get on with his stepmother and did not like living with her. He was a teenager who was upset and he was not ready to go back.’

Explaining the events leading up to Yahya’s miraculous journey, Mr Omiz said: ‘The boy told us that he lived with his father and his stepmother, who he did not get on with.

They had an argument on Friday. I do not know what it was about, but it made him decide to run away.

‘He left on Friday evening and spent the night somewhere. Then he said he walked to the airport. As far as I know he hopped the fence at about 9pm (Hawaii time) and then ran to a plane and hid.

Mr Moniz went on: 'When we found him he was very disorientated and weak. We gave him some teriyaki meatballs, rice and salad to give him some strength.

How he did it: It is believed the teen went into some sort of 'hibernation' to be able to survive the extreme conditions

How he did it: It is believed the teen went into some sort of 'hibernation' to be able to survive the extreme conditions

'He spoke perfect English and didn’t really have an accent, so I assume he had been in the US for a long time.

'He seemed OK physically. The only thing he complained about was that his ears hurt. He said all the noise and the vibrations had given him a really bad ringing in his ears.'

The incredible story has been met with disbelief by all those who know the teenager and his family.

Neighbour Amy McGinn told KTVU: 'They are very quiet, very private. When I heard there was an argument, that was surprising, because I never hear anything, like loud noises from the house.'

McGinn added that the boy's father drives a taxi, while the stepmother is mostly seen taking her children to and from school

Airport confirms report of stowaway aboard flight

video-undefined-1D3E38AA00000578-981_636

It was not immediately clear how the boy stayed alive in the unpressurized space, where temperatures at cruising altitude can fall well below zero and the air is too thin for humans to stay conscious.

An FAA study of stowaways found that some survive by going into a hibernation-like state.

The FAA says 105 stowaways have sneaked aboard 94 flights worldwide since 1947, and about one out of four survived.

But agency studies say the actual numbers are probably higher, as some survivors may have escaped unnoticed, and bodies could fall into the ocean undetected.

SOURCE: Dailymail.co.uk

http://www.somaliaonline.com/first-picture-of-teen-who-stowed-away-in-jets-wheel-well-to-see-his-mother-in-africa-whom-his-father-claimed-had-died-in-rocket-attack/

Safferz   

Poor kid :( His father and stepmother sound terrible, who doesn't report their 15 year old missing after 36 hours? What type of father tells his children that their mother is dead? Just awful.

Mooge   

aayo or stepmothers can be evil. this boy went through hell it sounds. the crying mother on the BBC was sad.