Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

Israel's New Racism: The Persecution of African Migrants in the Holy Land

Safferz   

A really disturbing short documentary on racism against African migrants in Israel that's worth watching. It was initially commissioned by the New York Times, but they refused to publish it and the Nation picked it up instead. You can read about that controversy here.

I've seen discussion about racism in Israel for some time. This is made more jarring when you contrast it with the role that Jews played in the civil rights movement in the United States, although in some ways it was in their own best interest. Some in the Israeli far right go even further and consider Ethiopian Jews to be an alien group.

can we please not over-simplify this dense issue. there are jews. there is no such thing as a jew. for instance hardliner Zionist Jews are different from pro-Palestine Hasidic Jews. we must keep in mind that 70% of Israelis are from the Former USSR. in their former homeland they endured abuse and Anti-semitism for centuries. we now know racism is increasing in the Former Soviet Union. there is talk of the Russian authorities increasing police presence for Sochi 2014 Winter Games fearing racist attacks by Neo-Nazi thugs. with that said, we shouldn't be surprised, by the massive increase in racism from Jews. Ethiopian Falasha are almost extinct, apparently. my Ethiopian friend was telling me they're hated in Ethiopia, too.