Sign in to follow this  
Aguila

Tech Ineptitude

Aguila   

Salams all,

I am way too inept when it comes to tech and its jargons and wanted help from fellow somaliaonline folks here. Who owns .org domain or is it free? Who basically regulates the who .something(be it .com, .org, .edu, et al) and is there a way to say tentatively register my own like .somali and should I go about it. Thanks in advance guys. Cheers

Maqane   

Aguila;939721 wrote:
Salams all,

I am way too inept when it comes to tech and its jargons and wanted help from fellow somaliaonline folks here. Who owns .org domain or is it free? Who basically regulates the who .something(be it .com, .org, .edu, et al) and is there a way to say tentatively register my own like .somali and should I go about it. Thanks in advance guys. Cheers

Waan ku salaamay Aguila :)

Who owns .org domain or is it free?

The domain names are not owned, it is the
which are owned. The registrars of these extensions need to be paid for their services. Most of the time these are organisations which are linked to the government.

No, generally
are not free. You can get free only through some kind of offers. For example many web hosting companies offer free domain if you purchase web hosting plan.

Who basically regulates the who .something(be it .com, .org, .edu, et al)?

Domain names are regulated by

is there a way to say tentatively register my own like .somali? should I go about it?

.somali doesn't exit but .so does

See this link for more info

Well, there're things to consider before doing that ... see links below for more info

:)

Aguila   

Thanks Abaas for the informative feedback. So in other words for example (.so) can only be owned by the Somali Government and no private entity can buy it from ICANN and later sell it for a premium price to say the Somali Government. Damned uncle sam seems to regulate who gets what as ICANN surely looks like a branch of big brother.