Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

South Korean men get the make-up habit

By Lucy Williamson

BBC News, Seoul

_64522745_cukes_think624.jpg

South Korean men have a particular kind of image - hard-drinking, hard-working and prepared to fight bravely for their country. But now major cosmetics companies are seeing a different side to Korean manhood - a growing interest in skincare products, and even foundation.

Two years of compulsory military service and centuries of Confucian culture have left many South Korean men with a deeply traditional sense of gender - something young Korean women often complain about these days.

So their new appetite for skincare and make-up comes as a slight surprise.

Despite the global economic troubles, the market in South Korea's male skincare products grew 10% last year, according to London-based market research firm Euromonitor International.

The country's biggest cosmetics company, Amore Pacific, estimates growth is now even higher at around 14%, and puts the market's annual value at almost $900m (£562m).

Read

Raamsade   

No Marfish for moi as those joints are dens of homosexuals and half the men who attend them have been molested/raped by qaat addled Faarax at some point. But this make up stuff is emasculating shid.

NGONGE   

Raamsade;896639 wrote:
No Marfish for
moi
as those joints are dens of homosexuals and half the men who attend them have been
molested/raped
by qaat addled
Faarax
at some point. But this make up stuff is emasculating shid.

tumblr_m2yzylOWlM1rpv5wyo1_500.gif

p.s.

Don't let them come between you and your qaat warya. Wax iska celi. :D

Raamsade   

Ngonge, lest you think I'm merely jesting, do you remember that Somali dude in the UK, back in 2004/5 I think, who shot to death his would be rapist? I think he was only 18/19 and this qaat intoxicated Faarax tried to rape him. In a memorable retort, after he was asked if he had any remorse, the young victim stood up in court and said "I shot him, I shot him many times, he is dead now."

This is serious issue. Scores of Somalis were raped/molested by qaat inebriated Faaraxs. I see this sissy make-up shid as continuation of the assault on our manhood. No shock in Che, the former cheerleader of Alshabaab the biggest faggots in East Africa, posting this crap.

Marksman   

That's my people y'all. I've studied there for a semester. Nothing gay about this. In South Korean society appearance is everything.

They believe that the better you look, the more succesful you will be in life. One of the main reasons perhaps eye lid surgery is normal and even given to kids when they graduate highschool.

People from other countries are overly ethnocentric when they talk about Korean society. You also see men holding hands and being touchy. It's them expressing their friendship. You'll see many different things over there. Boyfriends for instance hold their girlfriends bags.

It's funny, but you'll get used to it.

They also have this fascination about being white. Not Caucasion, but just lighter skinned and fair. Maybe this is why make up for men is also becoming more popular over there.

Marksman   

I never liked Chinese movies. But of course there's some good ones. I just haven't seen one. The Japanese are great at making horror movies. Koreans more so with love / drama movies.

But my favourite Korean movie is a thriller about a serial killer. The movie is called 'I Saw The Devil'. It's even available to watch on Youtube. This is the trailer.

The next movie I want to see is this one. It's called The Perfect Number.

Raamsade has a valid point here that can't be ignored. We are indeed witnessing a major assault on manhood thanks to Hollywood, where I can't help but notice the dreadful unhealthy 'trend' of men looking more feminine than the women. Just look at Justin Beiber who has been deliberately made-up to resemble a young teenage girl minus the boobs of course, you don't have to be a very observant individual to notice his long eyelashes, perfect plucked eyebrows, bright shiny pink lips and the amount of blush across his cheeks is just plain and simple feminine. Perhaps this is what attracts millions of crazed teens to him because he looks just like one of them.

It appears modern women are no longer keen on the macho men that are constantly in the gym rather they prefer the clean-shaven, soft-spoken, pink-wearing metro -sexual sort of men like David Beckham. They prefer the sensitive kind the ones that are in touch with their feminine side, the sort that can sit through a dreadful romantic comedy all while enjoying it, willing to gossip, comment on the latest fashion trend, and help his girlfriend pick out a smashing outfit to a night out in town.

As a long term SOL resident, I know some who quite perfectly fit the above description without naming anyone:)

I lately noticed that Somali men are not immune to this dreadful and disgusting trend. I have seen Somali guys wearing low-hanging skinny jeans that leave no room for imagination with tight tops.I am really worried that the male species is becoming extinct before our own eyes:)