Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Learning English.

For those of us who were never taught English, or have simply forgotten their elementary English lessons, here is a very useful website:

http://lessons.englishgrammar101.com/EnglishGrammar101/Foreword.aspx

The menu on the left gives you an option of the topics you can study.

For me, I think its about time I learnt what things like "noun", "verb" etc. mean and how it all works. I have found knowing this is a prerequisite if one intends to learn other languages (as the new language will be explained relative to the rules and grammer of the English language) ;)

So now I know that there are two types of Verbs:

- Action-verbs are words that show action.

For example : The boy threw the ball.

- In addition to verbs of action, verbs are also words that state a fact or condition and show no action. These words are known as state-of-being verbs. The most common state-of-being verbs are am, are, is, were and was.

For example, in the sentence "that man is my father", the word “is”, is the state-of-being-verb.

:D :D

cool website!

OdaySomali;822936 wrote:

- In addition to verbs of action, verbs are also words that state a fact or condition and show no action. These words are known as
state-of-being verbs
. The most common state-of-being verbs are am, are, is, were and was.

For example, in the sentence "
that man
is
my father
", the word “is”, is the state-of-being-verb.

:D
:D

I taught English in Asia for a year and my school called those "Be verbs" .. am, is, are etc

I learned a lot that year :)

^ A whole year in Asia, that sounds pretty cool G.S. Which countries did you teach in and what were they like ?

O.K I need some help folks. Is "been" a helping-verb or state-of-being verb ? Thanks in advance.

OdaySomali;822961 wrote:
^ A whole year in Asia, that sounds pretty cool G.S. Which countries did you teach in and what were they like ?

O.K I need some help folks. Is
"been"
a helping-verb or
state-of-being verb
? Thanks in advance.

the state-of-being verbs: Is, am, were, was, are, be, being, been.

- Verbs can be combined to form verb phrases in sentences. Action verbs, state-of-being verbs and helping verbs may be/are combined to form verb-phrases.

- Other special verbs called helping verbs may be combined into verb phrases. The verb phrase serves as the verb. Common helping verbs are: can, could, do, did, does, had, may, might, must, ought, shall, will, have, has.

Example: The verb phrase is underlined in the following sentence: “The team will be leaving on Monday.” Will is the helping verb. Be is the state-of-being verb. Leaving is the action verb,

- A noun is a word that describes a person, place or thing.

Example: consider the following nouns: “Alice Smith” is a person; “London, UK” is a place; and a “house” is a thing.

- Pro-nouns are words that take the place of nouns in the sentence.

Example: Consider the following: “Jack will attend. He will be late.” The pronoun “he”, takes the place of the noun “Jack”.

Subject Identification

Each verb of a sentence has a noun or pronoun subject. The subject usually comes before the verb and answers the question “Who or what does this action?”

In the sentence “The team won the game.”, the noun “team” is the subject of the verb “won”. Who won ? The team won.

The verb of a sentence is the most important word in finding the subject. Find the verb and you can then find the subject.

So for example in the case of the following sentence : “His friends were in town.”, where finding the subject might seem confusing (and might be "his" or "friends"), by identifying the verb, we can identify the subject. The verb is “were”. Therefore “friends” is the subject (as it emmediately preceeds the verb).

Compound verbs

More than one verb may be used in a sentence.

Often we use a common part of speech called a conjunction (and, but, or) or a comma to combine two or more verbs in a sentence. Two or more separate verbs make a compound verb.

Example: Note the compound verb in the following sentence: “The performer sang and danced.”

The common conjunction “and” is often used to connect nouns and verbs together to form compound parts. Notice how in the following sentences how “and” and the use of the comma can create a compound verb of two or more verbs.

The pilot flew, landed, and taxied the airplane

The surfer ran to the surf, jumped on his board, and rode a wave.

Compound verbs may be verb phrases.

Example: A compound verb is shown in the following sentence: “He was running and was breathing hard.”