Sign in to follow this  
Marksman

How will Sharia law be implemented in the new Somalia?

Marksman   

'The Prime Minister reiterated that the delivery of the draft constitution represents a significant milestone in the path towards a new constitution for the Somali people with compliance of Shari ‘a Law and will usher a new era of constitutional processes that will enable the Somali people to become a society bound by a constitutional regime based on humane foundational principles and objective fair processes, and never ever to be dictated to by the whims of powerful individuals, groups or ideologies.

...This constitution belongs to the Somali people- men, women, children, old. If we use it properly, maintain it properly, improve it properly, it can become a powerful instrument for our collective liberation from oppression, human rights violations and all forms of indignities. Used properly, it will also usher in greater freedoms, economic development and prosperity.” Concluded the Prime Minister.'

How will Sharia law be implemented in the new Somalia? To be honest I am more for a stable secular country where religion is not imposed on everyone. Where religion can be practiced and is more based on one's own imaan. The state should never enforce one to believe. Compulsed religion is futile.

- Will there be a death penalty for those that do not practice Islam or reject islam?

- Will there be stoning as a punishment?

- Can women choose to wear the veil and are their rights as individuals protected?

- Are women equal to men in Sharia law?

- Will everything men and women be seperated everywhere? When I was in K.S.A for instance women even had to go to another line at the cashier.

- Will music be forbidden?

- Will freedom of expression and art be limited or non-existent?

- Is there going to be a police for 'decency' or modesty police to check if everyone is acting and dressing 'Islamically'?

And the list goes on.

As the current prime minister talks about liberation from oppression, human rights violations and all forms of indignities, I wonder what he is talking about.

I agree with this guy only on this part.

''If Sharia is imposed in Somalia as strictly as it is in some other Muslim countries, you're begging for trouble." J. Peter Pham, Director of the Michael Ansari Africa Center at the Atlantic Council in Washington D.C

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/Drafting-Somalias-Constitution-Opens-Debate-on-Religion-Law-144862645.html

I have not seen the the (draft) constition yet, since I don't think it's fully available yet for people to look at it.

What do you guys think?

Should we be worried about Sharia law, since this is an extremely subjective matter that is not fixed?

http://votingfemale.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/sharia-compliant-or-else.jpg