Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Somali National Symbols

Chimera   

The horrendous choice of a tank statue in Hargeisa gave me an idea since we are an African country blessed with so many great historic and modern figures as well as cultural legends, which figures and events deserve(s) a monument after the reconstruction of the Xawo Tako, Dagax Tuur, Sayyid and Ahmed Guray statues?

I would decicate large monuments for the following figures across various cities in Somalia, and with smaller statues of them in the gardens of Somali universities :

Elmi & Hodan

101373.jpg

Aden Abdulle Osman Daar - The First President.

FulbrightStatue.jpg

Abdillahi Suldaan Mohammed 'Timacade'

stock-photo-statue-of-alexander-pushkin-

Shaykh Uways Al-Barawi

ferdowsi_statue1.jpg

Shaykh Abdirahman Al-Zayla'i

resized_IbnSina_Dushanbe.jpg

Nur Ibn Mujahid - ''Master of the Second Conquest''

abd_ar-Rahman_i_big.jpg

Queen Batiyo Delwambero - ''Victory is her Throne''

4340496792_b9d4f212ae_z.jpg?zz=1

Jamal - ad-Din II

Statue_of_the_medieval_Bulgarian_warrior

Abdullahi Qarshe

foto-evert-taubes-statue-and-terrass-cb.

And when you are asked to breath life (soul) into these statues on the day of judgement - what would your reply be?

let me guess - Artificial intelligence? :D

NGONGE   

Che -Guevara;810473 wrote:
Tank monument made no sense but NGONGE tells us it's progress:D

Ask Chimara to find you pictures of the Xawo Tako, Dagax Tuur, Sayyid and Ahmed Guray monuments, saaxib. ;)

You can disagree with the monument out of principle (because you are for Somaliwyen) and I can accept and understand that. You can disagree because you are Shababi and these are 'sanamo' and I can also appreciate that. But to say that they don't make sense is utter hogwash. They make perfect sense and are a sign of progress. The logic applied to all the ones listed above and to the tank in H town is the same. It says we moved on and shows how far we did. Yesterday's heros are only mere statues today and we display them in major squares as a testemant to the journey we've been through and a reminder of the struggle we undertook.

Chimera   

NGONGE;810483 wrote:
Ask Chimara to find you pictures of the Xawo Tako, Dagax Tuur, Sayyid and Ahmed Guray monuments, saaxib.
;)

I don't get it NGONGE, a single warlord was responsible for the removal of those statues, this wasn't a popular Somali movement akin to the Iraqi people bringing down statues of Saddam Hussein, these Somali statues were duly loved by the people for their historical significance, however in the end there is no point protecting these statues with your life because they can be rebuild, but a life cannot!

Logic dictates that if there was a tank statue somewhere in Mogadishu, Osman ali caato would have gotten his hands on it too, no doubt.

NGONGE;810483 wrote:
Ask Chimara to find you pictures of the Xawo Tako, Dagax Tuur, Sayyid and Ahmed Guray monuments, saaxib.
;)

You can disagree with the monument out of principle (because you are for Somaliwyen) and I can accept and understand that. You can disagree because you are Shababi and these are 'sanamo' and I can also appreciate that. But to say that they don't make sense is utter hogwash. They make perfect sense and are a sign of progress. The logic applied to all the ones listed above and to the tank in H town is the same. It says we moved on and shows how far we did. Yesterday's heros are only mere statues today and we display them in major squares as a testemant to the journey we've been through and a reminder of the struggle we undertook.

I don't oppose it and it wouldn't matter if I did either but tank? One would think they will build monument celebrating the perseverance of the people midst horrible war and subsequent revival. But does the Tank represent?

NGONGE   

Chimera;810491 wrote:
I don't get it NGONGE, a single warlord was responsible for the removal of those statues, this wasn't a popular Somali movement akin to the Iraqi people bringing down statues of Saddam Hussein, these Somali statues were duly loved by the people for their historical significance, however in the end there is no point protecting these statues with your life because they can be rebuild, but a life cannot!

Logic dictates that if there was a tank statue somewhere in Mogadishu, Osman ali caato would have gotten his hands on it too, no doubt.

That wasn't my point. My point was that such statues existed.

Che, a tank represents war. There are loads of old tanks strawn all over SL.

Like I say, the idea is the same. But do I want them to put a tank in the middle of square? Actually, no I would not. I don't think it's original or even pretty. However, I can understand the meaning behind it and in no way do I believe it to be negative (as Norf does). The world is full of monuments of war, ma markay Hargeisa gaadhay ayaa la so booday?

Chimera   

I don't think statues alone can pull together a people and country post-independence, now that's 'dreamy'! They can be part of a bigger picture in which a country and people come together.

1975 - When the statue of Sayyid was established:

bieasom351.jpg

NGONGE   

Che -Guevara;810509 wrote:
"Hargeisa gaadhay ayaa la so booday"

Boy, you got so sensitive days...lool

Nothing about being sensetive and everything about being logical. I dislike opposition for opposition's sake.

Carafaat   

NGONGE;810483 wrote:
;)

:D