Sign in to follow this  
Taleexi

Safirka: The envoy in somalia

Taleexi   

PETER BRIDGES SPEAKING AT PORT PROJECT, KISMAYO, APRIL 1986. PRESIDENT MOHAMED SIAD BARRE IS SEATED, IN DARK GLASSES, WITH CIGARETTE.

Peter Bridges

vol. XXXVII, no. 1, Winter 1998

It was May in Rome. I wished it were Sunday and my wife and I were climbing Monte Gennaro. The intercom buzzed; I had a call from Robert Oakley in Washington. Bob Oakley was our Ambassador to Somalia, in Washington for consultation. We had agreed that on his way back to Mogadishu he would stop in Rome for lunch with people from the Italian Foreign Ministry. We and Italy each had a major interest in Somalia; we were both major aid donors; we often compared notes. Oakley said that he would be delayed in leaving Washington. I agreed to rearrange the luncheon for the following week. He went on to say that he had just learned that he was to leave his post, to head the State Department's anti-terrorism office. A big, hard job, I said; congratulations. Who's going to replace you in Somalia? I don't think they've given that any thought yet, he said. . . . Would you be interested?

Read more http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?cc=mqr;c=mqr;c=mqrarchive;idno=act2080.0037.101;rgn=main;view=text;xc=1;g=mqrg