Sign in to follow this  
LixAfar iyo Nus

Somali Youth: Leaders or Followers?

Somalia has been without a proper government for about 14 years now. Somalis have been scattered around the world in pursuit of stability and peace. The only priority for Somali parents has been survival and steadiness. Therefore, being able to produce Somali leaders has become scarce due to the fact of constant relocation and lack of proper training and education. Somalis have been under the myth that Math and Science are the only education that should be learned and other branches of knowledge are not essential. This thinking is still entrenched in the psyche of Somalis today. The liberal Arts (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, International relations, Law...etc) are not emphasized or encouraged by the Somali Parents due to the lack of understanding of its significants. Although, those who specialize in the liberal Arts will definitely play a major role in the establishment of the Somali state and reconciling its civic institutions. Not to undermine Science and Math, they are also important, but we should not be focused on them only.

I feel that it is incumbent on this generation to implant the proper tools necessary to produce leaders of tomorrow through training oneself, educating and taking part in Social organizations. It is also important to first realize that the Somali youth are in a predicament. Negative peer pressures, harmful influences and the power of the electronic media, the scourge of drugs, liberal values and powerful anti-Islamic forces combine to produce a Somali youth who are less confident about their Islam and heritage despite the influence of the Dugsi system, madrassah, and other institutions in the community. Somali Youth, both boys and girls, are frequenting shopping malls, imitating and looking up to hip hop stars and idling their time in trivial pursuits rather than being involved in lofty and worthwhile activities. This is not to ignore those few Somali youth who are engaged in healthy pursuits.

With no doubt, Somalia is in desperate need of sincere leaders who are not under the influence of tribal bigotry and are morally intact. We are a society in love with leadership and uncomfortable with followership, though the two are inseparable. There will be those who lead because of their qualification and those who follow. choose between becoming an example and leading with goodness or a follower of righteousness. Obviously, as you can see the Somali individual requires dramatic change, an inner change that is. However, where should we start? Please answer me this. Are you willing to transform and modify yourself as an asset rather than a burden? And if you are, how about are you going to do that or what do you suggest that we do in recovering the Somali State? Remember the people of Somalia depend on us and if we fail them, than that is another decade of suffering and uneasiness, not to mention the failure of our children. Let the discussion on ‘Recovering the Somali State’ begin. It is a mission not only possible but a matter of when and how (Insh’Allah) and also, it is the responsibility of the Somali youth to assume a role and take part in the restoration of his/her home. We must talk about it now, so that when the time comes we can act appropriately and effectively. With the Help of Allah and good people, Somalia will once be what it should have been. It starts as a dream and translates into to actions. What is your Dream? What do you want to see happen in Somalia? Feel free to post and say what you think. This is a short study that requires all of you to participate. May Allah help us All.

Qac Qac.... how can we bring about sincere leaders when we are living in an environment that knows no such thing? From its 'Fake'leaders to its Civilians are all in a competition of Stealing and Deceiving, and majority of the Somali youth are influenced and follow the hip hop culture. Are the Somali youth Leaders or Followers? Or to put it better, do they have the potential to become leaders?

TIIMBARO   

Lix Afar IYO NUS:

Are Somali youth today leaders or followers? Ahhh…I would say a hesitating ‘no’, only because I know there is certain amount of truth in what you asserted.

There are capable youth Somali leaders, it depends what you’re asking of them. For instance in Toronto I personally know young guys who really want to help to improve the problems of their community. The problem is they gradually become cynical after encountering with the older generation. I am always bashing the older Somalis. I know their behaviour is a result of the environment they were brought up, which was detrimental to the formation of their characteristics, but they must learn to cope with the changing world. Let me go back to the point I was trying to make. There are responsible young people who have a good intention of helping their community. It’s just that we often feel the impact of the irresponsible ones. The responsible ones are unaccounted for. Generally speaking the well-meaning Somali leaders in Europe and North America can’t find away to unify their cause, they always find a way to fight over insignificant things. The Somali community is in a predicament but it’s not without a hope. KEEP HOPE ALIVE BROTHER, God knows we need it.

Qac Qaac   

sidda arbaca wa nus, lix afar iyo nus, macalinka u r right we need leaders... especially from our ppl (somalies). but the question is do we have leaders now.... i would say no, someone who fallows his needs and wants, and are there only to satisfy himself is not a legitamate leader...

ok if i go back to your question which was, do the somali youth have leaders... right now nooooo, how can we get it. well

1. make duah to allah, that allah give us a leader who has taqwaa,

2. need to realize, not to fallow desires, women, cars, hip hop. money

if we get those 2 things in checked from all of our youth then we educate them in their religion... then the sky is the limit..

how can we make leaders, how about teach leadership classes... i see most of the halaqas are all about deen hadith and quran which are all good masha'allah, but we also need where we could teach our youth and prepare them for the task front of them.

lix afar somalies become ppl with no leaders, that they can't even make a new songs of somali anymore the ones they have is from last time somalia had government 13yrs ago they still have Magool and Cumar Dhuule, and Zulfe... even the haram stuff we can't do... we even failed to do haram.. forget about islamic leaders, or even president, the last president we had was 13yrs ago... so bro make duah.. that is my advice.