Sign in to follow this  
kingofkings

Sensationalism or Reality?

londonconf.jpg

The Somali people are by nature suspicious, especially when it comes to foreigners showing interest in their country. Perhaps they still have the theme of Western betrayal at the back of their heads. The colonization, the dumping of chemical waste in their waters, and the unconditional Western support to Ethiopia are just a few of the factors that make Somalis reserved in their welcoming of the sudden interest in Somalia.

Through the last couple of weeks, the news of Puntland oil had dominated the reports from Somalia and even major international, distinguished news outlets, such as Al-Jazeera, the Washington Post, the New York Times, the BBC, and many others.

The major publications spent many pages on this subject–TEN on The Guardian, describing the latest move as a ‘game changer’. The estimates of the oil potential differ from 4 billion barrels of oil to over 100 billion barrels of oil, which will place Somalia in the top ten club of oil rich nations.

Luckily the current leaders aren’t paranoid due to their extensive international networks and welcome all the positive attention they can receive. Somalia’s prime minister Dr. Abdiweli Ali, a graduate of the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, was quoted with this to say.

I can already smell the oil.

The late Saudi King Abdulaziz Al-Saud was recorded saying the same thing when oil was found in Saudi Arabia. Dr. Abdirahman Faroole, president of Puntland State of Somalia, already welcomed multinationals to invest in the country.

It looks like the Somalis, despite their natural suspicion, are seeing the huge potential their country has. Here in Galkayo, a young man named Hassan Hussein, resident of the Israa district, approached me directly and had the following to say.

We’re witnessing movements of great magnitude. I’ve just arrived from Bosaso and had a hard time finding a hotel room, all of them were booked by Whites and Asians. I was thinking about going to Europe, but after seeing the sudden improvements I changed my mind. For the first time I have faith in Somalia.

http://www.dissidentnation.com/

Sensei   

kingofkings;796311 wrote:

We’re witnessing movements of great magnitude. I’ve just arrived from Bosaso and had a hard time finding a hotel room, all of them were booked by Whites and Asians. I was thinking about going to Europe, but after seeing the sudden improvements I changed my mind. For the first time I have faith in Somalia.

/
[/url]

If else fails, this new optimism is welcomed. Even if the oil promise does not materialize, at this cross-road, Somalis realize things couldn't possibly get worse for them and the country. The only route available is to have faith and move forward. The days were detractors pedaled misinformation & fear seems to be running out. Reality is setting on the common folks and that is blessing!