Sign in to follow this  
FatB

so, what is the...

FatB   

i have some confution about the "Witr prayer" could some one clarify it for me.... in simple terms. and when to pray the witr prayer?

Asalaam aleykum,

Witr prayer is a prayer which the Prophet SAW prayed before he retired to sleep. It is said he prayed it everyday was part of his daily routine. And because of these scholars have said it should be prayed every day.

The witr prayer is prayed after Isha and it consistes of 3 rakat. The difference it has with other prayers is after reciting suratil Fatiha and a surah in the 3rd rakaat, you will then say Allahu Akbar and raise the hands till the ears. Fold the hands after this and read the Dua-e-Qunoot softly to oneself.

Please check the dua from any source. It starts like this Allahumma Ina nastainuka wanastaghfiruka wanuminu bika wanatawakalu …………

Then after that you finish your prayer as usual.Yani you pray like Mghrib prayer. After saying the salaam,it is highly recommended to say these words : Subhanah l’malikul Qudus. 3 times

And Rabuna warabul malaiykati waruhi once .

The dua e qunoot is wajib in witr. If you don’t know it by heart you can recite this dua in its place,

Rabanah atina fi dunya hasana wa fil akhirat hasanah wakinadhab ar Nar.

Or its allowed to say Ya Rabbi thrice.

During the month of Ramadhaan the Witr prayer is read with the jamaat after the Taraweeh prayers.

Hope this helps.

Fiamanillah

Wol

Jacpher   

Witr prayer is prayed in the nighttime (anytime after Isha to Fajr time, but Fajr). Witr is prayed in odd-numbers from three up to eleven raka’at and it doesn’t require qunuut or any special dua. One may recite Qu’nuut in the Wirt or any other dua of his/her preference. The only difference between Sunnah prayers and Witr is that Witr is odd-numbered and prayed only in the nighttime. I think one should conclude all his/her prayers in the night with Witr, thus witr becoming the last prayer of the night.

Some Muslim scholars say Witr is Mustahab while others say it’s Mu’akad (emphasized). Qiyamu Layel or night prayers are liked and very rewarding. The hadiths emphasizing the night prayers are countless. I think many think Qunuut is part of the Witr prayer since Imams make qunuut every night during Taraweeh. If I am not mistaking, Imams can omit qunuut dua and it would still be fine. If you miss Taraweeh and want to make it up at home, you don’t have to do qunuut.

Walahu Aclam.