Sign in to follow this  
Warrior of Light

Prayers from Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H.)

The muhadditin (Reporters of Traditions) have worked hard and devoted whole of their lives in collecting and compiling the books of Traditions, the prayers which the Holy Prophet (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) used to offer during journeys and in camp. Along with the prayers incorporated in the Holy Qur'an, you should also utter these prayers of the Holy Prophet (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him). These prayers are not only comprehensive, impressive and propitious, but also teach the correct thinking to the believer as well as the desires and ambitions he should cherish. In fact, a man's real nature is reflected in his desires, especially moments when he is satisfied that no other by his present and that his murmur can only be heard by his Creator. Each word of the prayers offered by the Holy Prophet (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) in the darkness of the night, in privacy in the midst and outside the company of the people, is characterised by profound sincerity, devotion and eagerness and one feels that the utterer of such prayers is the most exalted person who is perfectly begs from his Lord as a needy persons. Moreover, his eagerness and devotion is constantly increasing in depth and intensity as he continues to offer prayers to God.

The essence of all his prayers is as follows :

" God ! Draw me closer ! Spare me from Thy wrath ! Bestow upon me Thy favour ! Give me success and grace in Eternity.

1 Prayers to be offered in the Morning and Evening Hadrat ' Uthman b. 'Affan (God be pleased with him) narrates : " The Holy Prophet (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) observed :

" No harm can come to a man from anything who utters the following prayer morning and evening ":

Bismilla-hil-ladhi la yadurru ma'asmihi shai'un filardi wa la huwas-sami'ul 'alim.

In the name of God by virtue of Whose name naught in the heaven nor earth doth hurt and He is the Hearer the Knower.

Hadrat ' Abdullah b. 'Umar (God be pleased with him) reports: "The Holy Prophet (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) used to offer the following prayers in the morning and evening regularly without respire".

------------

Allahumma inni as'alikal-afiyata fid-dunya wal-aakhirata, Allahumma inni as,alikal'afwa wal-afiuata fi dini wa dunuaui wa ahli wa mali. Allahummasiur 'aurati wa aamin rau;ati.Allahummahfazni min baini yadayya wa min khalfi wa 'an yamini wa 'an shimali wa min fauqi wa 'audhu bi 'azmatika an ughtalal min tahti.

"O God ! Behold, I beg of Thee peace in this world and the hereafter. O God ! Behold, I beg of Thee forgiveness and safety in my faith, in my world, in mine household and in my wealth. O God ! cover my defects, and give me peace from mine apprehension. O God ! protect me from my front and from my rear, from my right and from my left also from above me; and I seek refuge in Thee lest I be surprised from beneath me !".

2 Prayer against Lethargy and Cowardice Hadrat Anas b.Malik (God be pleased with him) states: " I used to remain in attendance on The Holy Prophet (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) and used to hear him offer this prayer very often:

Allahumma inni audhu bika min-al-hammi wa-l-huzni wa-l'ajzi wal-kasali wal-bukhili wal-jubni wa dala'iddaini wa ghalabtir-rijali.

" O God ! Behold, I seek refuge in Thee from anxiety and grief, from inability and sloth, from faint heartedness, and niggardliness, from the burden of indebtedness and the domination of men".

3 Prayer for the Attainment of Piety and Purity 3 Prayer for the Attainment of Piety and Purity

This is the most comprehensive prayer. In these four words the The Holy Prophet (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) has asked for everything that a believer needs.

Allahumma inni as'alukal-hudha wat-tuqa wal-,afafa wal-ghina " O God ! Behold I beg of Thee, guidance, piety, purity and contentment".

4 Prayer for Protection against degradation in this world

Allahumma ahsin 'aqibatana fil-umuri kulliha wa ajirna min khizyid-dunya wa 'adhab-il-aakhirah. "O God ! End all our activities in grace and protect us from the torment of degradation in this world and in the Hereafter ".

5 Prayer to be offered after Worship Hadrat Mu'adh (God be pleased with him) states that one day The Holy Prophet (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) took my hand and observed : "O Mu'adh ! I love thee, and the proceeded to affirm : "O Mu'adh !! I advise you that you should never miss uttering the following words after each prayer:

Allahumma a'inni 'ala dhikrika wa shukrika wa husni ibadatika.

"O Lord ! help me in remembering Thee, in expressing gratitude to Thee and in worshipping Thee in the best manner ".

6 Will of the Holy Prophet (p.b.u.h)[/ i] Hadrat Shaddad b. Aus (God be pleased with him) states :

" The Holy Prophet (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) advised me: Sahhad ! when you see the worldly people busy in amassing gold and silver, you should gather the blissful treasure by uttering the following words off and on".

Allahomma inni as'aluka-thabata fil-amri wal-'azimati 'alar-rushdi wa as'aaluka ni'matika wa husan 'ibadatika wa as'aluka qalban saliman wa lisanan sadiqan wa as'aluka min khairi ma ta'lamuwa audhu bika min sharri ma ta'lamu wa astaghfiruka lima ta'lamu innka anta 'allamul ghuyub.

"O God ! Behold, I beg of Thee steadfastness in keeping (Thy) command and firmness of resolution in (pursuing) the right course. I beg of Thee (the feeling of ) thankfulness for Thy grace and (abilityfor) adoring Thee best. I beg of Thee a sound heart and truthful tongue. I beg of Thee the good of that which Thee Knowest, and I seek Thy forgiveness for all of my wrongs thou knowest. No doubt Thou knowest all that is unknown to us".

7 Prayer for Forgiveness and the favour of Allah Hadrat Abu Huraira (God be pleased with him) states that :

" The Holy Prophet (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) while bequeathing a will to Hadrat Salman Farsi (God be pleased with him) had observed : " I wish to bequeath a few words to you. Beseech the Most Kind in these words. Rush towards the Most Kind and offer prayer to Him in these words day and night ".

Allahumma inni as'aluka sihhatan fi imanin wa imanan fi husni khulqin wa najahan yatba,uhu falahun wa rahmatan minka wa 'afiyatan wa maghfurtan minka wa ridwana.

" O God ! Behold ! I beg of Thee vigour and health in my faith. and effect of faith in my dealings and behaviour and success leading to peace and mercy from Thee; and also security, forgiveness and Thy pleasure.

8 Prayer for Purification from Sins Hadrat Umm Salama (God be pleased with him) narrates :

" The Holy Prophet (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) used to offer the following prayer ".

Allahumma naqqo qalbi mina-l-khataya kama naqqaita-ththaubal-abuada min-ad danas. Allahumma ba'id baini wa baina khati'ati kama ba'adta bain-al-mashriqi wal-maghrib. " O God ! clean my heart from sins, just as you clean white cloth of dirt. O God ! cause as great a distance between me and my faults, as there is between East and West.

9 Prayer of the Attainment of Respect among People

Allahummaj' alni saburan saj'alni shakuran wah'alni fi'aini saghiran wa fi a'yuninnasi kabira. "O Allah ! make me patient and thankful to Thee, and make me small in my own eyes, but great in other peoples eyes".

10 A comprehensive Prayer Hadrat Aisha (God be pleased with her) states :

" It so happened once that when the Holy Prophet (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him ) needed me immediately but I was delayed, whereupon the Holy Prophet (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him ) observed :

" Aisha, you should utter brief and comprehensive prayers. When I came to the Holy Prophet (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him ) I submitted: " O Messenger of Allah ! the Holy Prophet (peace and blessing of Allah be upon you ) ! Teach me a brief and comprehensive prayer". the Holy Prophet (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him ) observed : " You should utter the following prayer :

Allahumma inni as'aluka min-al-khairi kullihi 'ajilihi wa ajilihi ma'alimtu minhu wa ma lam a'alamu wa a'udhu bika min-ash-sharri kullihi 'ajilihi ma 'alimtu minhu wa ma lam a'alamu wa asalukal-jannata wa ma qarraba ilaiha min qaulin au'amalin wa 'a'udu bika min-an-nari wa ma qarraba ilaiha min qaulin au 'amalin wa as'aluka mimma sa'alaka bihi Muhammadun wa a'udhu bika min ma ta'awwadha minhu Muhammadun wa ma qadiata li min qada'in faj'al aqibatagu rushda.

" O Allah ! I ask of Thee all the good which is in the present or in the future, and I ask of Thee paradise, and the works and deeds, which would take me nearer to the same, and I seek refuge in Thee from Fire and the works and deeds which would take me nearer to the same. And I ask of Thee that which was sought by Muhammad, and I seek refuge in Thee from that regarding which Muhammad sought Thy Protection, and that the end of all Thy decrees above me should be good".

11 Prayer for Holding firm to Islam

qa'iman wahfazni bil-islami qa'idan wahfazni bil-islami raqidan wa la tushmit bi'aduwwan hasida.

" O Allah ! maintain my faith in Islam, while I am standing or while I am sitting or while I am lying and let not the enemy, the envious pass sarcastic remarks about me".

12 Prayer of a New Convert to Islam Hadrat Abu Malik Ashja'i ( God pleased with him) reports :

" My father narrated that whenever a person embraced the religion of Islam, the Holy Prophet (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him ) used to teach him Salat and also the following prayers".

Allahummaghfir li warhamni, wahdini, wa 'afini warzuqni. " O Allah ! forgive me, have mercy on me, guide me, grant me peace and give me sustenance".

13 Prayer for Avoidance of Dissension and Immorality

Allahumma inni a'udhu bika min munkarati-il-akhlaqi wal-a'amali wal-ahwa'i. Allumman inni a'udhu bika min-ash-shiqaqi wan-nifaqi wan su-il-akhlaq.

" O God ! I seek refuge in Thee from evil morals, deeds and desires. O Allah ! Behold, I seek refuge in Thee from schism, hypocricy and evil 5 Prayer to be offered after Worship