Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Why Would Alshabaab Kill So Many Innocent People?

NGONGE   

Surely the religious principles in whose cause alshabaab fight and die does not condone such an evil act. So in the face of bewildering alshabaab actions and the contradictions it presents to its political manifesto, which is Islamic in nature, I pose the question to the gallery: why would they do it?

To filter out frivolous answers, assume that alshabaab is a serious organization whose actions are intended to meet tactical or strategic goals. Assume that alshabaab does not act impulsively but rather in a calculated fashion and out of some sort of a plan.

You're asking us to make far too many assumptions, saaxib. In addition, you are already making the assumption that Al Shabab's brand of Islam is similar to yours or mine.

What puzzles me about this thread of yours is its timing! Al Shabab killed lots of people in that Hotel bombing in 2009. They killed many more in Uganda in 2010. Why did the other day's bombing shock you that much that it prompted you to start this thread and (unwittingly, I hope) make it sound as if such evil action is not in Al Shabab's nature?

I said I could not help ask the question. In previous massacres such Beledweyne and Shamow, alshabaab had high value targets on their sight, and civilian casualties could have been described as collateral. Still un-Islamic, I know, but in the context of violent conflict such as the one in Mogadishu, what they did was not a radical departure from how modern wars are conducted. This week's merciless killing of so many students and their parents, however, and in the background of debilitating famine, is beyond extremism. It shows this organization whatever it's beginnings were has transformed itself to Khmer Rouge like, narrow-minded sect that respects no boundaries oon waxba xeerinayn.

I agree with Jacaylbaro and others assessment on alshabaab. Extremism begets extremism. The other night, as I was listening their press release I could not even underst and the terms they were using to describe their opponents. They've become so radicalized they will do anything to exact their vengeance on the poor, innocent Somalis.

Ilaahay sharkooda dadka haka qabto.