Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

What attracts Somalis to Salafism?

Blessed   

I didn't qoute the hadith to support the arguement of calling one self a salafi, please reread my post.

I am against such labeling as already I've indicated in my reference to surah al Fusailat.

The brother said that the Messenger NEVER called himself a salaf and I've corrected him. It's not my intention to promote xizbi mentality.

Nur   

My Dear Sis

my response was referring to the following statements that you have written:

1. There's misunderstanding of the meaning of the term 'salafi' and what it entails to be one and this I think has a lot to do with the attitude and actions of so called salafis today.

I have tried to clarify the meaning of the Salafi term.

2. Most of us who follow the the Quraan, Sunnah and the Jama'ah are salafis by definition

Here lies my main response. We are Muslims by definition. To say that its better to call ourselves Muslim, implies and strengthens the notion that usage of Salafi name is OK.

Wallahu Aclam

Nur

Blessed   

How about the Muslims who don't approach the deen in the sepcific way I've set out? How would you describe your approach to being a Muslim in a way that sets you apart from those Muslims who don't agree with you on fundamental issues of faith? At some point, you have to mention a sub-definition(s).

Nur   

Ukhti al kareema

You ask:

1. How about the Muslims who don't approach the Deen in the specific way I've set out? How would you describe your approach to being a Muslim in a way that sets you apart from those Muslims who don't agree with you on fundamental issues of faith? At some point, you have to mention a sub-definition(s)

The name "Muslim" describes someone who has surrendered to Allah SWT and who:

1. Has Ikhlaas (Commits No Shirk in any form)

2. Who Performs her/his obligations toward Allah SWT according to the Sunnah of His Messenger.

Now, if a Muslim person or a group violates one of the above codes, then their Iman or Islam has a deficiency equivalent to the violation. If the violation is major, as in Shirk al Akbar, then, they aren't entitled to be named "Muslim" at all, if the violation or innovation is minor, and they are not propagating it as genuine Islam, then they are fully entitled to be named "Muslims".

If on the other hand, they propagate innovation or call for violation of the deen, then, they are on borderline of Kufr, because, presenting violation or bidca as Islam is critical issue and the group or person is warned not to make Tabdeel( Change) in Allah's Deen, if they insist, they become apostates from Islam according to the famous Hadeeth "He who introduces into this Deen an innovation that is not part of it becomes Murtadd" The innovation has color shades, the extreme darkest color borders Kufr, it can also be a watered down innovation, that may not lead to kufr. in which case we call that person a Mubtadic ( an innovator in Deen)

In conclusion.

A person who follows the Quraan and Sunnah is the rightful person who is entitled and honored to use the name "Muslim", she/he shouldn't differentiate herself/himself, Its the Mubtadic, those who introduce innovation and violation of fundamental tenets of Islam, who need to come up with new names for themselves, not the Muttabic.

Allahu Aclam

Nur

Blessed   

Again, I think you’re still misunderstanding my intial post. I was not endorsing the so called ‘salafi groups’ but wanted to show that the word ‘salafi’ could simply be taken as a noun to describe a follower of the salaf and contrary to the brothers claim—the Prophet (saw) did say that he was a ‘blessed salaf’, however you choose to interpret the hadith, the word itself carries the implication of leading and following and thus it’s usage in this context is not problematic. That’s all I was saying. I personally don’t want to go into the whole ‘salaffiya’ movement which is why I’ve avoided that part of the discussion.

Secondly—I already said that we shouldn’t call ourselves other than ‘Muslim’ because that’s the description given to us by Allah. However, neccesity sometimes dictates further describtions be used and I've never come across a strong case from the scholars against doing so. There’s really no need for you to repeat your refutation of an argument that I did not make to begin with, walaal.

Thirdly, it is neither beneficial or wise for the lay person to concern themselves with the issue of ‘takfeer’ on individuals and groups. The deen has ranks and we should respect it, let the culamaa use their knowledge and hikmah to deal with who has a right to call themselves Muslims or not. My only ijtihaad is to choose my approach to the deen of Islam and how I apply it to my daily life. When everyone insists on being a scholar – we get the problems we have in Somalia today.

I think I’ve given more than my 2 cents, Salaams.

Nur   

Ukhti Al Fadilah

I've only answered questions that you have posed.

"....... At some point, you have to mention a sub-definition(s) "

The gist of my response was that we don't need sub-definitions, we are either Muslims, or we are not. As for those who make Bidca, or violations, we assess their violation/innovation, if its Macsiyah(Sin) category, they remain fellow Muslims and remain as our brothers/sisters in faith, or ( Cusaatul Muslimiin), if what they have committed is tantamount to kufr, then they are what they commit, we can not separate the criminal from his own crimes and that does not require a special scholar.

What requires the counsel of highly knowledgeable scholars is when we have to invoke Kufr name on a specified person, or "Takfeerul Mucayan" by saying Hebel is Kaafir, which is not a playground for novices in Islamic Fiqh and specially internet Mufti which I agree with you that they are a modern phenomena to reckon with and be careful when taking their advice on matters that need Live Faqeeh, and they come from both extremes of our balanced UMMATAN WASAT Deen.

Lastly, being knowledgeable has one main ingredient, and its not years in studying, nor a degree nor social prominence as a "Sheikh", its TAQWA, without it, all other attributes becomes of no use. Allah SWT says " Wattaquu Allaha wa yucallimukumu Allahu", and in the Hadeeth, the Messenger of Allah adviced a companion who asked him to be the most knowledgeable, to " Ittaqi Allah" Allah ka cabso, iskana jir, iska xiji daacadnimo ciqaabtiisa.

Wallahu Aclam.

Nur

Muriidi   

what attracts us to salafism ?

i guess many people noticed the "emergency exit"

SSG83_T.jpg

.. or salafi imams who you will find at any political event or xawaalo ..

.. yes ,salafism is the "emergency exit"

hello sh. umal .. take us to boqolsoon ..