Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them

Us humans have truly been gifted by Allah with [potentially] brilliant minds. We have been put upon this earth knowing that we will one day pass on and we have been given sufficient tools to (a) enable you to go to Jannah and (b) for you to prosper on this earth.

Personally speaking I would want to leave this earth better than I found it and thus, no matter how small, I will make a contribution. The pupose of this thread is to kickstart a discussion on human ability, ambition, determination opportunity and the capacity for brilliance that each and every one of you has.

Humans are highly capable beings and I believe that with sufficient opportunity, ambition and determination one is able to achieve great things. Let us not forget that the most intelligent computers which amaze us with their abilities daily, though we may not evn understand how they work, are made, designed, built and most importantly understood by people; people like you and I. Even the seemingly incomprehensible languages that sound like gibberish, have meaning and a rich vocabulary that people speak and understand with the least of effort. There is so much knowledge in the world yet to be discovered and there is so much for us all to learn. The ability to learn is truly a wonderful thing indeed (alxamdulllah).

The quote "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them" comes to mind; outside its original context, of course :D Different people have different ambitions and will be satisfied with different achievements; indeed there is no fast or standard interpretation of greatness or success. I believe that there is, in any case, by Allah's power S.W.T, a quota of those destined to achieve great things and that in any case every person achieves great things, of various levels of significance, at various points in time, in one way or another. Al qadr, khayrihii wa sharihii.

Great achievements in various ways. One can memorise the entire quran. One can invent a new thing. One can perform a heroic act. One can give charity in abundance. One can please one's elderly parents. One can grow a multinational organisation. One can learn to walk again. One can cure the disease/pain of an ailing person. One can teach one child, or more, to read and write. These are all fantastic things and I am sure there are many more.

There are however, limiting factors as to what types of great things you can achieve. You, as I, have been granted many opportunities that Allah has not granted to others. So make the best of all the opportunities before you. You will not succeed in all you endeavours but if you reach for the stars, if we all reach for the stars, some of us will get there, others will reach the sky, others will be higher than they were before and some will be more experienced and enduring for the future. So go out into this world and be the best that you can be. Go out into this world and "be the change that you want to see in this would".

I also have some questions: what would you like to achieve in your life time? What do you want to contribute to this world? At what point would you think you would be content with where you are? Should everyone strive to achieve great things or is it o.k to be ordinary? (if there is such a thing)

---

Human capacity is indeed great and it can be used for both good and evil. Please do not take the evil path :eek: Do not be consumed by hate and qabiil as I have often witnessed with Somalis and non-somalis alike. Do not be led astray by the glaring hedonostic [gaalo] lifestyle which will earn you an eternity of damnation but also do not be led astray by the more subtle chants of the devil. Keep your guards up, your imaan strong and your sins low.

Lastly, life itself is possibly the most difficult thing so may Allah make it easy for you all.

Polanyi   

Greatness and nobility why is something inate. That is why people like me are great. But then there are men who carve out greatness from the depthness of darkness and shall valleys of despair. Those are the men and women who record their history with lofty deeds and gigantic actions.

NGONGE   

^^ Not to mention that after that inspiring babble about greatness and what not, he goes on to struggle with the bloody edit button. Priceless.

Polanyi, thanks for your input (though i'm not quite sure if I what it means haha).

Valenteenah.;721355 wrote:
^ I think you can only edit within 12hrs of posting.

Thanks Valenteenah, that must be it. Nice name btw, does it mean anything?

o.k folks, since you're all here anyway, will anyone dare answer the questions:

what would you like to achieve in your life time? What do you want to contribute to this world? At what point would you think you would be content with where you are?

Should everyone strive to achieve great things or is it o.k to be ordinary? (if there is such a thing)

Faarax, what's with isku-dirka? I didn't mean it so, I was in fact informing NG that often people with the gift of reaching lofty heights, such as those visionaries who always see the bigger picture have trouble with the small details and vice versa.

OdaySomali;721394 wrote:
Thanks Valenteenah, that must be it. Nice name btw, does it mean anything?

It's Latin, Google informs me, and means "strong".

So let me try to answer some of your questions:

what would you like to achieve in your life time?

At a basic level, I would like to live a good life, both spiritually and materially, God willing. In terms of goals, I have some - both big and small. I've already ticked some off my list, which makes me happy. Others I have yet to achieve and God knows if I will.

What do you want to contribute to this world?

Whatever I can (which is probably nothing!). I'm human and vain enough to want to leave a legacy behind. But what? And will it matter 30 or 100 or 500 years from now? At the moment I think the only real contribution I could make is to produce some exceptional children who will be able to do great things, Insha'Allah (that's me handing the baton on).

At what point would you think you would be content with where you are?

I'm fairly content now. I have my health, my mind and my lovely family, Alhamdulilaah. Anything extra is a bonus.

Should everyone strive to achieve great things or is it o.k to be ordinary? (if there is such a thing)

Yes to both. I certainly would like to achieve something amazing but it's OK if I don't. Am happy to disappear in the background as well.