Sign in to follow this  
Oz

Gerrard or Lampard?

Oz   

If you could take one of the two right now for the remainder of their career, with no reprecussions to your current squad (I know its not possible, this is just to simplify things as well as force you to consider relationships with current players), who would you pick? Keep in mind you get them from today, no "younger versions" available.

Faheema.   

Hmm, two of the best midfielders, it’s a tough one. Although Lampard has scored more goals and contributed to couple of the premier league titles, I would go for Gerrard as he’s more of an impulse player…oh and the fact that he’s couple years younger and more likely to be fitter which helps in the long term. :)

NGONGE   

Lampard is a very good player but he's not in the Gerrard class and he does not have an Istanbul to fall back on (I mean the mean even played at RIGHT BACK in that game).

Oz   

Faheema,

If you could take one of the two right now for the remainder of their career, with no reprecussions to your current squad (I know its not possible, this is just to simplify things as well as force you to consider relationships with current players), who would you pick? Keep in mind you get them from today, no "younger versions" available.

For me, Lampard over Gerrard any day- Lampard has had an indifferent season, true, but the cracks are beginning to show with Gerrard. Going forward, most managers would see Lampard as having the greater potential in the twilight of the two's careers.

LOL@ Shaafici

BOB   

OZ, You mean to tell me that you don't rate Shafici Al-Xaris over these two over-hyped, over-rated average English lads?

Peace, Love & Unity.

NGONGE;705039 wrote:
Lampard is a very good player but
he's not in the Gerrard class
and he does not have an
Istanbul
to fall back on (I mean the mean even played at RIGHT BACK in that game).

you're right he's not in the Gerrard class...but that's because he's far better than Gerrard. Lampard is the thinking man's footballer, easily one of the finest players of his generation. had he been Brazilian or Spanish he'd be heralded as the best midfielder in the world. Gerrard, in comparison, is an overactive simpleton. a kick and rush merchant if you will. and if you're unwilling to use your eyes then the statistics back up the Lampard > Gerrard argument as well.

'he even played RIGHT BACK in that game'...so? his team were under the cosh for all but 6 minutes in that final, it's only right he helped to defend against Milan. funny that you define Gerrard's career on a total fluke. says it all.

N.O.R.F   

^Imagine Gerrard had Makele, Robin and Duff around him all his peak years. Lampard got lucky because his dad was a Hammer. He was then bought by Chelsea. Anyone can do what he does playing in that side.

Tuujiye   

Waraa OZ i would take Gerrard!... He could do what ever Lampard can and more.. Not only he is the younger player but he has a bigger hard than any other English player even JT.... I'm a fan of Gerrard...

Wareer Badanaa!!!

BOB   

N.O.R.F;705924 wrote:
^Ma Kismaayuu u ciyaari jiray?

No, we had better players in Kismayo then...he is neither Somali nor Arab yet he loves his clan more than he loves his country, great player but rubbish personality...I enjoy watching him but he disgusts me the minute he opens his pan tumaca hole...know him?:cool:

LOL @ Chelsea fans rating Lampard higher than Gerrard by revealing his biggest flaw as his strongest point...the guy is as selfish as C. Ronaldo, he scored over 20 + goals for several seasons by sacrificing team glory over personal glory, the guy shoots from all angles and distances and the let’s not even get into how many of those shots he’s scored because that’s beside the point and oh yeah few weeks back when he (Lampard) scored the two goals, one was pen but his second one I was screaming for him to pass it to Torres who would’ve scored with a tap in but true to his nature he went for personal glory and before you lot even start making excuses for him, I watched Steven Gerrard in same position pass it to Torres who returned from an injury and remember Gerrard did not even score in that match...I don’t know how many of you actually played a proper and organized football even in semi-professional level, believe me you can’t imagine what a simple tap in goal would do for a striker’s confidence and I believe Stevie Gerrard knew that when he allowed Torres to have it but can we say the same thing about Lampard? Not in a million years and without even that, for me I will always choose Gerrard over Lampard and I’m an Arsenal fan.:D

Stevie G = Team player.

Lampard = Selfish.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Oz   

Bob, Selfish?? LOL Did you see the ball he chipped to Anelka to score in the champions league in Denmark. Selfish aaah!! :D

I'm interested to see Gerrard's form over the next year or so as he hasn't had a good season and he's started picking up injuries as well, when he's always had a good fitness record. A lot of Gerrard's problems come back to his pig-headed insistence on playing in a position he's not suited to playing. His last good season was playing off Torres in the season they finished second. He could still come good if he's played further forward.

So the verdict is : Over their careers, I'd say they're fairly equal. Maybe Gerrard edging it in natural ability and Lampard in consistency and being a team player. :D :D

PS: Tuujiye, am starting to believe what Norf said about you wearing a red t-shirt. hahaha

Both are crap if you ask me looool.

Llet's be honest though... Gerrard can carry a whole team on his shoulders compare that to Lampard who can only play if he is surrounded by better players (Makelele and Essien). the man who really carried Chelsea in the past few seasons is Drogba. so I don't know how someone can say "let's compare Gerrard to Lampard". Steve G is the better player!

Cheers

Oz   

^^^ Who would you take as of now :D:D

Gerrard will forever be remembered as a Liverpool legend, and rightly so. In his prime/on his day, he's one of the best midfielders in world football. He may not be the most technically gifted of his generation, but his all-action display, battling qualities, leadership skills and consistency are what makes him the talisman of Liverpool.

However, Lampard will not only retire as a Chelsea legend, but also as the bigger Premier League legend in my opinion. The guy attacking instincts from midfield is frightening. He is 8th highest goalscorer in the Premier League history with 132 strikes, more than any other midfielder. He's also the 6th on the all-time appearances, and have 168 assists which is second only to Giggs' 263. I'd love to have both in their prime in the current United team.