Sign in to follow this  
Caano Geel

new machine recommendations

Hi people,

I'm thinking of getting my first non-stitched-up-toge ther machine for home. I need something small, i don't play games so don't need that much power, but would like to run my entertainment stuff- i.e. tv. dvd's. any recommendation?

p.s. i was thinking a MAC mini, but having not really used MACs, would appreciate info on what they are like, how much software can you get for free and etc.

thanks

for Mac u gonna pay 2x more. U r a programmer so u best bet is 64-bit system. U looking for Desktop or a laptop?

I would recommend a good laptop. U can use it both home and outside. I have a good laptop where i watch tv etc, with external 36" display. its better than a tv, Check link below.

http://www.bing.com/ shopping/search?q=la ptop&p1=%5bCommerceS ervice+scenario%3d%2 2f%22+r%3d%22leafcat egoryid%7c4590%2cpri celow%7c40%2cpricehi gh%7c500%22+a%3d%22r a%22+p%3d%22df5c7f1b a4404c05b3f423c4e307 eee6%22%5d&wf=Commer ce&form=SHOPH1&crea= 081209laptop

Originally posted by rudy-Diiriye:

for Mac u gonna pay 2x more. U r a programmer so u best bet is 64-bit system. U looking for Desktop or a laptop?

thanks Rudy, true about the price. however, i have more work machines than i can count, and tend to use screen and emacs when i work from home anyway, so as long as i have a net-connection, beefy cpu's aren't a problem. What i'm really after is my first enjoy and not work at computer. My concern with a pc. is that it won't long before i'm frustrated with xp and the likes and have set up yet another hotchpotch beast.

p.s. i like the sound of a 36" display, what make/model is it? and any recommendations and what are your electric bills like with it :S

peasant   

Get your self a Mac mini ($450) with LG HS102 led projector($600) and your entertainment is all in complete. The mac OS is the best when it comes to entertainment because it comes with lots of cool apps like frontraw where you can watch movie trailers with a click of a remote control. You can also subscribe to Itunes to buy your movies or shows online if you like doing things in the legit way.

The down fall to mac is that you wont find as much apps windows have but most of the windows apps are garbage anyway and if you cant live with out some apps then you can always run virtual machine and etc. Virtual machine combined with Mac's expose' aka(spaces) is like running normal apps in mac and you can change from window to window with minimal effort with out ever realizing you switched between OSs.

I am personally satisfied with Mac and ever since i switched from pc i never had problem. My biggest problem with windows was registry corruption and the usual spyware intrusion which no matter how you protected yourself with all kinds of firewalls and anti viruses never ended. Another annoying aspect of windows was disk defragment problems were your computer slows down after sometime if you dont defrag the disk occasionally.

Get a PC and use Linux as OS.

Take inspirations from my very own:

- Manufacturer: HP

- HD: 600GP

- RAM: 3GB

- Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core

- O/S: Linux Ubuntu

Hope you will like it.