Sign in to follow this  
Xalimopatra

The new iMac

Such a thing of beauty....

Cant wait to recieve mine.Would it be wrong to name it?Lol jk

imac_400.jpg

Ok what I wanted to know was, after speaking to many people about graphics design programs I have been told that it is best to buy rather then download?

My brother is telling me to use his IT freak friend's resources..basically counterfeit stuff and other things he has manipulated..sounds illegal to me but forking out 100-200 quid per bloody program seems crazier in comparison?!

Xalimo, if you get a MAC you have made a smart choice. I am typing this on an macbook and its really good. even though it has a good *** graphic capabilities i only use it for Internet, DVDS and just listening to music. i am a recent MAC convert, i have been using PC's for long as i can remember and i would never go back to PC's again. Macs are easier to use.

I would Recomend "GIMP 1.3x for Mac OS X"

or any other Open source software.

They are completely Fee no stealing,counterfeit involved all distributed under the GPL2 or GPL3.

and usually much better quality than their commercial counterparts.

A simple Google will give a comparative rating of Graphics packages.

GIMP got nothing on Photoshop , much more stuff you could do with PS then GIMP.

for average user gimp is quite an alternative for PS but for professional products you need the real deal and if you end up using GIMP you might as well get http://www.gimpshop.com/ its a hack for gimp makes it more user friendly and little bit more functions

and GeelJire since when you use graphic packages?

I actually do not use Graphic Packages nor can I compare them just a fan of Open source software.

In other Areas of Software Applications which I use extensively the Open source version is much better than it's commercial counter part.

I only recommended Gimp because the sister was concerned about counterfeit/stealing. and in this case Open source is the answer...

Photoshop may be better technically speaking but for the average user,forking over that huge amount of $$$$$ is not worth the cost-difference.[0:$$$$]

especially if it is being used for fun, hobby.

peasant   

my first computer i ever owned was 286 with monochromatic monitor running windows 3.11 and ever since i used all the versions of windows up to XP. Just about a year ago i bought black macbook with tiger and upgraded now to leopard, ever since i am disgusted about Microsoft and their products as they are nothing but a expensive junk. When leopard was released even though it is light speeds ahead of vista in terms of functionality it was only $130 dollars while vista the ultimate version is close to $500. Mac OS is now fully loaded unix flavor and has all the major shells available and we all know unix is a very secure operating system. I am not as careful i used to be when used to use windows and dont have spyware problems anymore and viruses etc and feel comfortable visit any site on the net without caution.

^ I agree with most of what you say. except the price.

Apple produces good machines, but is much more expensive than any clone.

from a purely technical perspective, the cost difference does not make sense to me. how do you justify 2 machines that are very similar in terms of specs , yet one of them is $1000 more than the other. sorry but brand name doesn't mean that much to me

A clone running any flavor of Linux would agree more with my Jeeb.

peasant   

apple products are way too cheap compared to their competitors. For instance a fully loaded macbook is about $1099 and it comes features like on board camera, wireless and blue tooth etc in a very small compact form of 13". If you compare that with other brand names like HP and IBM you will realize the laptops that have those features are their high end and are close to 2k. Of course if you dont mind buying some huge machine from azer or gateway you can save some bucks but it comes with the price of loosing a shoulder. From my experience apple products are worth the prize and the simplicity of their technology is what drives their market. Comparing bare bone to apple products is a complete disservice and we all know how wild apples differ in terms of taste from domestic cultivars like the macintosh. They might both be apples but they taste considerably different.