Sign in to follow this  
crazy_love

Does studying= Knowledge OR Does studying= Money

Hi peeps I just want you guys to give me your opinion on this topic my friends and I are alwayz arguing about this-

Do you go to school and study something you enjoy b/c you would like to increase your knowledge or do you go to school and study something that in the end would give you a good job that pays good money?

I personally thing you should go to school and do something you enjoy and not really think about the money issues..b/c i personally couldn't wake up everyone morning for something i don't like studying money or no money...

thanxs

Abit of both. There are many of us who review a course based on the eventual outcome – what is the pay structure like? I’m I able to generate enough interest to continue with it until the end? If those responses are satisfactory one normally takes up the course.

Most of us can’t imagine getting up every morning doing the same ole stuff, but reality is, no matter what your ultimate job is you will always go through phases & the famous job satisfaction level moves up and down a gear. ‘Hate it’ ‘love it’ ‘ok’ ‘need a new job’ all are common words used to describe different days for the same job; most people would like to trade their job some how what someone else is doing appeals to the eye alot more (especially when the honeymoon period is over).

Coming back to your question, Yes it about gaining knowledge, yes it’s about the money, and if the job satisfaction follows closely even better .

NGONGE   

In the past, going to University meant that when you finally got your degree, you would come out as a well-rounded individual with knowledge in many different disciplines. A science graduate would know quite a bit about literature, philosophy and the arts and vice versa. I suppose it was the point of calling the place of learning a “University” in the first place! Nowadays, most universities are geared towards producing graduates that are good in one area or discipline. The whole attitude towards gaining a degree is career motivated. Only few degrees are purely there for wider knowledge and even those are being phased out in most cases.

The knowledge bit comes from the students themselves. Some seek knowledge and some just want to stick to the rigid curriculum of their degrees without deviating into other areas. For most though, the knowledge, the introduction to new ideas and different thought processes, comes from interacting with other students.

salam

studying run's in both way money and the Knowledge. the reason why aim saying these is if you got no money its really hard to have a better life and withought the knowledge you cant get the money so all aim saying is knowledge is ****** and sometimes its good. but money is alwayz verry good lol

Well in my case it's purely for the knowledge and the pleasure I gain from my course. The industry I want to work in is extremely competetive (the movie business), and an university degree can't guarantee me anything. However I'm the type of person who needs a challenge and a way of expressing myself.

I used to do a business degree, because I believed it would lead me to a well-paid job. However, every second I spent studying, I knew I was cheating myself out of something better. I didn't want to turn into one of those middle-aged business executives saying wistfully to their sons:

- "Oh yeah, I wanted to be a director when I grew up"

- "Why didn't you become one?"

- "Oh I don't know. Why didn't I?"

Yes, I have enough qualifications to fall back on if my dream doesn't work out, but at least I won't grow old without having tried.

hey that's interesting... i guess that the best option would be to study something that you enjoy and that will pay the bills...

Check this graph out that shows the way the value American college students put on making money has change over the years.

valuesfrosh.gif

Miriam1   

^ sad isnt it.. well thats good..it leaves my more positions in my feild..

Studying=Knowledge..personally..money comes and goes..you have to adapt to the sitatuion at hand and you can't struture your life for the mere purpose of fulfling your materail needs..thats just..dumb..you have only one life to live.. one life to make an impact in.. make it... no need to be selfish..well this is all an opinion.. everyone sees thier lives in a different format..

Peace In da MIDDLE EAST...!

Honesita   

Let's put it this way, i wouldnt go to school for something i like to do but wouldnt guarentee me a job, and i wouldnt go to school for something that guarentees me a job but i dont enjoy...!!! I dont think school makes me a more knowledgable person...!! If you guys look at it, we required to take a calculas class, for god's sake, are we asked on job interviews to take the derivative of a function...hell no...!!! Well then, why do we study it..? I think school is just to challenge us, help us think better, give us basic knowledge about the job market we're pursuing, and the actual knowledge comes with experience...!! Why do we go through job training when we get a job....dont we have a degree...? You can have as many degrees as you want, but without actually being well rounded with experience, you're not effective at all...!!!

Salaamz