Sign in to follow this  
Medley of extemporanea

A note on semantics

I want to just make a quick point about the terms that we use and how we say things.

First, let me just thank all of you that contribute to this Islam section of this forum. There is a great amount of information and healthy discussion here. I don’t really contribute but I am sure I am one of the many that benefit from the contributions all of you make.

To make these discussions even more productive, more attention should be paid to semantics. I am sure all of you intend for your readers to understand exactly what you mean to say and more careful attention to the words that are used and how points are stated can help in achieving that.

Sometimes terms statements like “the problem with Islam is†are used; then you get 50 posts pointing out “there is no problem with Islam†and before you know it the original point of the discussion is lost. These types of situation can be avoided by just using the right words. So, in a criticism of some Muslims, don’t say “the problem with Islam isâ€, say “the problem with those particular Muslims isâ€.

Again, my thanks to all the contributors.

NGONGE   

Though I don’t think it was worth a thread of it’s own, still, thanks for kind and helpful efforts, saaxib. Having said that, I’ll still beg to differ and inform you that the example you used is invalid.

Semantics, as I said before and repeat now, is indeed important when the word or phrase is a ‘stand-alone’ type of phrase.

Only someone that suffers from reading problems, is too emotional or follows his/her own agenda continuously quibbles over semantics. Articles, stories, pieces and even poems are read whole and not according to one or two words, saaxib.

If you need to give out advice that would actually have real, effective and practical benefits to the Nomads here, it will be one that advices them to trust their abilities and leave the shallow end of pedantry and semantics. Semantics, while necessary in some cases should not be used as an excuse to stifle discussions or a superficial coat hanger for hasty people that can’t read.

If I told you that the trouble with Islam is that it has too many aggressive followers. Your reply should be, to either agree and end it there. Or, disagree and convince me that Islam does not have aggressive followers.

What you propose in your thread here is that one should not start sentences with the words “ the trouble with Islam...â€! That, my dear brother, whilst caring and would keep the peace does us no favours at all. Do not be taken in by the familiar wave of indignation, saaxib.

Do you follow me, do you follow me at all?

I wonder how many of the people here would cope with someone that suffers from Tourette's Syndrome?

If I told you that the trouble with Islam is that it has too many aggressive followers. Your reply should be, to either agree and end it there. Or, disagree and convince me that Islam does not have aggressive followers.

Wouldn't you save yourself alot of headache & unnecessary comments by slightly repharasing it as "The problem with some musilms is that they are too aggresive when it comes to Islam"?. If people like to see it that way, then you should say it like that.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

I wonder how many of the people here would cope with someone that suffers from Tourette's Syndrome?

Some of us maybe silent readers but calling people names and especially connecting it to tourette syndrome, isnt manly at all. Plain uncalled for.

And yes, I am aware of the disease, a neurological disease where people have involuntary tics which can affect their whole body though they can lead productive lives.

To refresh your memory Gilles de la Tourette syndrome

NGONGE, thanks your reply.

You said, "What you propose in your thread here is that one should not start sentences with the words “ the trouble with Islam...â€! That, my dear brother, whilst caring and would keep the peace does us no favours at all. Do not be taken in by the familiar wave of indignation, saaxib."

What I propose is that people should not say "the trouble with Islam is" unless they actually have a problem with Islam . As a reader I want writers to mean what they say! There is no reason for me to assume they don't.

Just advising them to say what they mean.

But I understand your point and it’s well made. Still, I don’t think it takes away from the important position of what words people use and how issues are stated.

NGONGE   

WOL

This is really getting tedious wallahi. It’s like discussing Hamlet with a five-year-old. Must I always explain basic things?

It is said, that those that suffer from Tourette's Syndrome are intermittently plagued by involuntary tics (that are also usually accompanied by swear words and rude language). This, as you rightly said, does not stop them from leading normal lives.

Someone with a Tourette’s Syndrome, if he/she ever got to post on this site (figuratively speaking) will not be able to ‘lead a normal life’ because people like you will jump on his/her throat every time he/she swore instead of reading what he/she wrote.

Undestood, o silent reader?

FF

Saying it the way they wanted to be said is not the problem. That’s easy. One can always concede ground for the public good once or twice. But, what about the third time some semi-literate kid dismiss a valid argument because he or she did not like a single word or phrase in it?

I shall not budge on this issue. It is extremely, utterly, shamelessly basic and people NEED to work on their reading abilities or harness their emotions if they genuinely want to have serious and beneficial discussions on this site. Otherwise, they might as well drop all the false pretences and start having short and vulgar SMS discussions. There, U DONT Hve 2 Reed, M8.

Ngonge,

I dont agree with that, not all people with Tourrette syndrome use foul language (coprolalia)a minority may have that character and if you read the link, it is not used as a prerequisite to be termed 'a tourette syndrome sufferer'.

So your accusation does not stand.