Sign in to follow this  
Changed

WHO AM I?

Changed   

THE QUESTION ASKED ALOT BY SOMALI MOTHERS IS YAA TA HAY?(PLEASE EXCUSE MY SOMALI IF I HAVE ANY ERRORS) MY ANSWERS TYPICALLY WOULD BE SOMALI AND THEY WOULD EDDO I MEANT CIDEEE TAHAY? I THEN TELL THEM MY DAD'S FAMILY NAME...THE QUESTION WILL KEEP ON GOING MY FREINDS PARENT ONCE HAVE ASKED ME AND I WONDER WHY THIS TRIBISM **** IS THAT IMPORTANT TO THEM I NEVER TELL THEM MY QABIIL, THAT IS BECAUSE I DONT BELIVE IN IT. BUT WHY DO WE HAVE TO HAVE OUT TRIBE IS AN IDENTITY? CANT MY NAME BE MY IDENTITY? WHEN ARE OUT PARENT GOING TO LEARN NOT THE ASK SUCH AND IDIOTIC QUESTION AND THAT IS MY GREATEST PET PEEVE OF ALL SOMALI PEOPLE.........I MEAN AM NOT GOING TO MARRY THEIR SON SO THEY DONT NEED MY FAMILY HIS TORY......I KNOW I NEVER ASKED MY FRIENS FOR THEIR TRIBE AND THEY NEVER ASKED FOR MINE......LOL........ I THINK THAT YAA TAHAY QUESTION IF WACK. DO Y'LL THINK ITS WACK?

AND PLEASE DONT RESPOND TO ME SAYING DONT LET IT GET TO U CUZ ITS NOT ITS A LITTLE QUESTION I AM HOPING TO GET POEPLE RESPONS ANDI WANT TO KNOW IF ITS IMPORTANT TO OUR TEEN AS MUCH AS IT IS TO OUR ELDERS..

A7LA-SHU   

girl u talking about old ppl? well to be honest it seems to me that alot of young ppl do that which made me shocked.

this is what happen to during ramadan last year.. i was in the Masjid but couldn't pray so sit there to list to the Khuba.. well to make it short after it was over and ppl start praying there was this somalian girl sitting next to me so i thought to be nice and say hi and i was like waht is ur name and like what school u go u know normal things.. and u know what? the only q she could ask me was what tribe i was? and to answer her i was like i don't know just not to answer. and she start naming some of tribes and was like if i say ur tribe say that one. i thought she was stupid as hell just went outside. coz she made me sick to my stomch...

and other thing my young cuzins tell me do u know that person u talking to is this tribe or that and i'm just like soooo??

but yeah it is wacko and just plain stupid. to ask someone what is ur tribe out of nowhere.. so if it does happen to u again just walk away even if they are old ppl so what lol...

Changed   

wooooooooooow. girl does it not now amaze u when they ask u these kind of qustion ..........its surprises me that girls our age ask these kind of question .... my cousin do the same as ur cousin do but i would love to know the importance behind this tribism stuff? :confused:

Fauziya   

hi my sistas, i agree with you.its a shame that its still young ppl. out there who ask what tribe you`re in and so on.When elders ask me what my qabiil is,i usaually say, my fathers name, somalia, and then they understand that i dont want to answer the question, so they stop asking and talks about something else.I really hate this qabiil thing. :mad: It has destroyed our country.So that`s why we young ppl.are going to change that insha allah.So to answer to your question, YES qabiil is wack. :cool:

assalaamu caleykum to all my sisters,

i couldn't help but to post my view on this subject if you don't mind that is, well my sisters knowing somebody's tribe or family is not as bad as you make it sound but what is bad is if you descriminate that person for the tribe he's or the family he belongs REMEMBER even ALLAH s.w says it in his holly QUR'AN I MADE YOU OF DIFFERENT FAMILIES AND TRIBES FOR YOU TO KNOW EACH OTHER but the way our somali ppl use the whole thing is totally wrong i mean eventhough it never happened to me some parents will instruct their kids who to associate with or for that matter their daughters who to marry just because that person happens to belong a certain tribe.

i wonder is there anybody who had anything to do with the tribe they belong? i mean is there anybody who can say i chose to be a certain tribe ?ofcourse the answer will always be NO it all happened by the will of ALLAH s.w so how on earth can we hate somebody for being a certain person while he got nothing to do with it but the saddest part of it all is a THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT PPL DIED FOR BELONGING TO A CERTAIN TRIBE .....

INNAA LILLAAHI WAINNAA ILEYHI RAJICUUN all i can say is dat may ALLAH guide us all through the right path AAMIIN.AAMIIN.AAMIIN.

my SISTER i hope i've been helpful and you're right to say what you said i can understnad where you coming from but please don't label all the somali ppl as a tribalists maybe most of us are but still there are some genuine proud somali boys or girls like yourself and sister J so give your fellow nomads another chance maybe this time you might get a positive result atleast i hope you do.

Nazra   

looooooool from girls of your dream..i give you a credit sis..i mean wow u have the guts not to tell them.

So far..i only came across two girls one being my age and darely older than me couple of years asking me "yaa tahay" i mean it's rude of them and sickening i mean this is the new generation :confused: And i agree with your point but anywayz i mangaed to tell them what i am and made them feel bad by not asking what they are. :D cause i'm couple of steps ahead of them and i do not step down to the level of asking someone what tribe they are. These pepole only lack in knowlegde and experiece and those who have experiece seem to be effected with this qabil disease that bought us from our home land into to a place that we can't really call home.