Sign in to follow this  
Kashafa

Somalia's ragtag Islamists are here to stay-- Analysis by Rageh Omar

Kashafa   

The great irony is that many of the leaders of the UIC are not anti-American at all. Several of them have lived and worked in the United States.
Far from wanting to export ideology, they are focused on their domestic agenda. One of the main policies is a decree that properties seized by the warlords must be returned to their rightful owners. This has encouraged thousands of exiles to return to Mogadishu
. But, with the military intervention by Ethiopia (which has a large and restive Muslim population ripe for political and ideological proselytising), the UIC's reluctance to meddle will undoubtedly change

As so often happens, this war will achieve exactly what it set out to avoid: in this case, entrenching an Islamist government by providing it with even more popular support and legitimacy.
Most Somalis will come to see the UIC as a bulwark against foreign invaders.

What does Ethiopia - a country of 75 million people that suffers chronic food shortages and one of the highest levels of HIV - gain from this? Nothing. But, like other leaders in his position, Prime Minister Zenawi may find a foray abroad will help to silence criticisms about undemocratic elections and political persecution.

10 bucks for the first SOL'er who says Rageh Omar is a pro-court killer-rapist-looter-drug-dealin'-journalist-turned propagandist. :DAqriso , yaa waryaa, and may you soon see the light.

Adiga, it seems, waxba ma dhaantid kii shaleey ama maanta with all eagerness enthusiasm combined with fanatism that used to follow his tol iyo jufadiisa hoose hoggaamiyo by qabqablaha kasoo jeedo laftaas.

There's nothing difference, ogoow, that aforementioned group and the blind loyalty aad u heysid reer surwaalgaab iyo gardheere because you share with them same radical ideology.

I will give you a little advice: Never, never ever follow something/someone blindly, lest they disappoint you. Only Eebbe alone should have that distinction of faithfulness.

Kashafa   

^^ MMA, thanks for your overall advice. I think it's misplaced, but thanks nevertheless.

That radical idealogy I supposedly share with the Courts is called Al-Islam and it's followers are called Muslims. You've heard of it, I assume ? Wait a sec....You're a Muslim, too !!...Heeeeey, 10 million Somalis are Muslims too. Well, whaddayaknow !! Turns out we all share this radical ideaology that orders it's adherents to apply its laws(known as Shariah, from what I understand). Wow, small world, eh. This idealogy I'm told firmly forbids us from taking an infidel into confidence, let alone having them dictate your foriegn and domestic policy, let alone occupying your towns(read: Baidoa, for you homey :D ) allegedly invited in by it's inhabitants(baseless, the good people of Baidoa never invited A/Y or the Ethos). What do you make of that, wazeerka. Bal ka soo fakar.

N.O.R.F   

The Khat effect: The last battle of Somalia’s Islamists

BY BASHIR GOTH

18 December 2006

THE Mogadishu Islamists’ decision to ban Khat, the narcotic stimulant that millions of Sumalis use, seemed to run on the lines of the old maxim, “A word of truth used with an ill intention”. For long, Somalis have been using Khat as a pastime and for generating income to feed millions of children in a country where more than 43 per cent of the population lives on less than a dollar a day. Yes, Khat is a curse on the economy, health and family fabric of the Somali people. It props the economies of Somalia’s neighbouring countries; with Kenya exporting $250 millions worth of Khat to Somalia annually and Ethiopia earning $60 million a year from Somaliland alone. Most of this money is the remittances sent by overseas Somalis to feed their loved ones back home.

In addition to its financial burden, the Khat causes numerous health problems; causes family break ups, wastes people’s time and energy and increases the ranks of the country’s unemployed as addiction forces millions of productive countryside people to quit their farms and livestock to Khat markets, towns and villages.

On the surface of it therefore, it seems any sound thinking Somali should applaud such move and thank the clerics for ridding the community of such an age-old curse. But the timing of it may make one question the real motive of the clerics. The ban comes at a time when Islamists view Ethiopia and Kenya, exporters of Khat to Somalia, as hostile countries and accuse them of siding with the Transitional Federal Government (TFG) that they want to topple. They have declared a jihad on Ethiopia and they showed their mistrust to Kenya. By banning the Khat, the Islamists have waged an economic war on both countries. It is also a quick answer to Kenya’s ban of all flights to and from Mogadishu.

Banning the that, however, is different from all the other bans the Islamist have imposed on the Somali people such as prohibiting music, singing, cinemas, going to the beach for women and even denying women to go out of their house without a chaperon. The Khat is not only a narcotic that almost all Somali men and many of the women use on daily basis, but unfortunately it is the only lucrative business in Somalia that feeds tens of thousands of families. It is the main business for thousands of women who sell the Khat in order to secure food, medicine and schooling for their children. What alternative do the Islamists have for all these families one may ask?

Did they think about the reaction of Ethiopia and Kenya? What about if Ethiopia and Kenya decide to slap a trade ban on Somalia? With Khat replacing tea and coffee as a hard currency earner for both countries, it is obvious that both countries will feel the pinch. According to some estimates, Kenya alone would lose up to Sh19 billion and an estimated 500,000 jobs. It is my hope that the Islamists have seriously thought about how they would feed the Somali people if both Kenya and Ethiopia decide to close their borders and airports to Somali trade.

One may also remind the Islamists that when the British colonial authorities attempted to ban Khat in Somaliland it only strengthened the people’s resolve for freedom. It was also the ban of Khat that fuelled the Somali people’s resentment of Siyad Barre and eventually contributed to his downfall.

Will history repeat itself? Will the Islamists revoke their decision when they feel the heat or will they stay the course until either the Khat or the Caliphate wins the battle? Only time will tell. But one thing is sure that the world may soon see an exodus of tens of thousands of Somali Khat refugees pouring to neighbouring countries and even to Somaliland, Puntland and the TFG ruled zone of Baidoa in search of their freedom to chew what many Somalis believe to be the nutrition of God-fearing people (quutul awliyaa).

Khat may also force hundreds of the young Islamist militia’s, the majority of whom were the former mooryan’s (drug addicts) of the warlords, to desert the Islamists side and join the TFG, thus reversing the Islamists hitherto unstoppable advance. One may not rule out, nevertheless, that those that slapped the ban may have an agenda to extricate themselves of this brinkmanship by turning the Khat into a blessed black market that could fill their war chest.

Bashir Goth is an African journalist based in Abu Dhabi.

Khaleej Times

*************Warning. Please stop posting tribal names on the forum. We have seen you break our rules almost every time you post here. If you don't respect our rules, we will have no choice but to block you from posting here************

[ December 18, 2006, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Admin ]

NGONGE   

Rageh is again talking to a western audience. To quote him is to state the obvious here. His article is only good if you have not been paying attention to the events taking place in Somalia in the past six months.

Northerner,

Lately, I’ve started to enjoy reading the articles of Bashir Goth. Like most other journalists, he seems to have his very own (not that well disguised) agenda, one that involves fighting for the Somaliland case from an Awdal point of view. :D

His dislike of mullahs is also not much of a secret. However, in this case, he’s talking about something that (these days at least) plays a huge part in Somali daily life. Is it true that the ban of khat will have such an impact on the people of the capital or is it just wishful thinking? Why?

N.O.R.F   

NG, I had a feeling you would post on this thread :D

The problem I have with Mr. Goth is probably the same problem I have with 99% of ‘journalists’, they always have an agenda. Whether its an individual opinion (to aid a specific cause) or that of his employers (unlikely as he is freelancing). He (they) always has an agenda. Thats why I would probably read his articles, not because I’m genuinely interested in what he has to say, but just to see what angle he uses to achieve that same old agenda.

Now, he has raised some valid points in his article. Should khat have been banned suddenly without another income for many to fall back on? Would it be detrimental to economic ties with Kenya? Will the ICU use any black market which may come about as a result, for financial purposes?

All genuine questions which need answers. No problem. But (like 99% of journalists) he has simplified the scenario to the readers by not delving deeper into the subject. All he has done is criticize the ICU (through his perceived concern for the people’s finances) without commending any of their other efforts (peace, no road blocks, airport open, port open, brisk business, the price of bread plummets etc) but he is quick to talk of cinema closure, women who have to be accompanied etc (which are debatable).

One can easily play with words (that’s what I’m doing now at work actually – in a bit of a scrap with a contractor but that’s another story) to further his agenda but please know amateurs are not reading your articles.

NGONGE   

^^ Not sure what knowing that I’ll post on this thread means. I almost didn’t as it goes. :D

Mr Goth, like Rageh above, is not aiming at a Somali audience. Ok, maybe a few Somalis read the Khaleej Times but the paper is mostly read by non-Somalis and that’s the audience that Goth is trying to enlighten with his articles. You and I are not too impressed with his mention of Cinemas, chaperoned women and the (allegedly) hard methods the Courts use. Even if we happen to agree that they’re all true we still need it presented to us in stronger terms with Waxa-la-yedhi sort of evidence and not in two simple lines. However, the readership of the Khaleej Times are not likely to be as fussy as you and I. To them, this is an alien story being told by one from those parts. Perfect opportunity for further his own agenda there, though of course, it’s also futile.

Ps

Did you see how managed to squeeze Somaliland into the story.