Sign in to follow this  
Xargaga

Somali: Once a Proud and Independent Nation Ceased to Exisit.

Xargaga   

17 April, 2007

SOMALIA, ONCE A PROUD AND INDEPENDENT NATION CEASSED TO EXIST

Once again we are witnessing genocide and clan cleansing that is underway in another African nation, Somalia, by another African nation, Ethiopia and approved by the UN, AU. The Ethiopian army supported by their stooges, the TFG (Tigre Founded Government) has leveled 5 districts of Mogadishu by bombarding with heavy field artillery and rockets. Somalia a nation once proud, independent and in the forefronts of the wars of liberation movements (ANC, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Namibia and Angola and of course Eretria) in Africa, has became the first African nation to succumb to the forces of neo-colonization in the 21st century. Welcome to the "NEW WORLD ORDER".

When I think of the qualities, skills, integrity, and patriotism of the current illegal TFG leaders in Somalia, I wonder if this is by accident, by design or a divine punishment/curse from the higher up. When one sees actions taken and hears speeches given by the TFG officials, one remembers the events preceded the Rwanda massacres of 1994. In fact the international community found out the radio broadcasts of the Hutu hates mongers much later after the massacres had taken place. Here in Mogadishu, the president himself has given interviews in advance to many media outlets including the VOA, and clearly stated that he will order the bombardment of any district in Mogadishu that a single bullet is fired at them regardless of the civilian population and any casualty that might bring.

In order to evaluate these quislings I revisited a book that I read 25 years ago. The book is written by an American who extensively traveled to Somalia in the early years of its independence and had spoken with many Somali law makers and interviewed both the first president and prime minister of the young nation.

Here is how an American who visited Somalia first in 1961 narrated his experience. It was the first anniversary of independence, July 1, 1961. As he put it, it was the first step toward the union of all the territories Somalis claim. NFD still remained in British Kenya, Djibouti was under the French and there was the large problem of western Somalia (known as ******). The author (A.E. Bayne) observed that the problem of unfinished nation was the theme of the birthday (July 1, 1961) celebration, and the politicians of the new state vied with one another in their enthusiasm. The author, continued and stated Mogadishu was decorated with arches, flags, and banners and its walls were colored with slogans in English, Italian and Arabic ("Viva Somalia" "STRONG AND INDEPENDENT" "Somalia e libera!" and similar slogans in Arabic).

The most moving part of that book is when the author writes about the disenfranchisement of the northern body of political leaders. And despite the rift that immerged the unity of the nation was strong and unquestionable and the ideals of unified Somalia were central to all faction. And to day, in comparison we have self appointed leaders who are forcing the people of Mogadishu to carry water and milk for the Ethiopian soldiers, while these very people have neither water nor milk for their children. Or may be what they mean is since we massacred your children bring their milk to us.

The author discussed the above mentioned Somali political crises with the then president of the young nations Hon. Aden Abdullah Osman. Here is how it went.

Q. Bayne: What is your estimate of the Somali National League?

A. Aden A. Osman: There has always been an opposition to SYL, but this has grown since two ministers with the support of people in the north left the government. We won't know how strong this group is until the next elections. I am opposed to having only one party, and I asked my government and the party to determine whether to recognize this new political party.

Q. Bayne: How does a president of Somalia use his power in the case of protest?

A. Aden A. Osman: I encourage individual or groups protests to be sent to me. As they arrive , I pass the complaints on to the prime Minister to investigate and to provide my office ( the president's office ) with the facts of the situation. If the government's reply is incomplete, or unsatisfactory, I request that reforms be made.

Q. Bayne: Could your request for reform be better termed as Order?

"The president smiled; he has an easily stimulated but gentle sense of humor".

A. Aden A. Osman: Since I can ask a prime minister to resign, my requests are usually followed!

Q. Bayne: Is your suggestion of a coalition between SYL and SNL in the form of a request?

A. Aden A. Osman: Not yet.

The author stated that, the president's hope that the democratic national unity, transcending factional difference, would come out of the domestic political differences had not yet been put in the form of an authoritative request.

Aden A. Osman, continued, "But I believe in multiparty system, not too many parties, of course. We are planning a law that will require political groups to be responsible and not just personal following or temporary interest groups. But I am serious about this- a single party system gives too much temptation for the development of a one man on a horse who might want to become a dictator".

Q. Bayne: Will the Army elite cast their shadow of military-power if the civil leaders fail to achieve a reasonable progress toward the fulfillment of the national aspiration (United Somalia).

A. Aden A. Osman: "We would do our best to prevent military dictatorship or Communism

In another interview with author in February 1964 Aden remarked that It seems to him the US and the west are pushing Somalia into the Communist hands (to day the US and the west are pushing Somalia to another extreme).

The author concluded the interview with this. "His (Aden A. Osman's) final comment was heartening in a continent of Caesars and tempted elites"

Here is Hon. Aden A. Osman's final comment: "This dictator would never be Aden Abdullah, but it might be someone who came after me"

When the USA, at insistence of Emperor Haile, refused to supply arms to Somalia in the fall of 1962, the then prime minister Abdirashiid Ali Sharmarke has to say when the author asked if Somalia was seeking weapons from Russia and the eastern block. "When we failed to get the aid we felt we needed from the west, we have no other choice but to turn to Russia. "Our Problem is to unite this country and this makes the border problem critical". "Our People are behind us in this, and the masses are getting an unfriendly idea of the United States of America because you don't help us, yet you help Ethiopia" This a political issue (******) the prime minister continued, We want, we must want, the land and the people. Somalis in Ethiopia are a subject people, and black colonialism is no better than white. Our people do not have equal rights with the Amharas. More than two hundred of them have been shot in the past two weeks and it continues (this is a far cry that what is happening now, to day it is not ******, it is MOGADISHU).

The author in his conversion with the prime minister stated that it was clearly manifested that the Somali political elite was of one mind on the Ethiopia issue. That is both the government and the opposition (SYL and SNL).

Ladies and Gentlemen: As you can see these men were the last true patriots that Somalia has ever had. Please reread the above section and compare the bolded text with the post-Aden Abdullah leadership.

Today there is an illegitimate government in Somalia, a government, which is not recognized and supported by its own people. A government that raises million of dollars buys and stockpiles tons weapons to massacre and destroy the very people and country it took ought to protect and defend. As of today the government raised $42, 000, 000 and 20, 000 Ethiopian troops armed with tanks, helicopter gunships, MIG 23 bombers Suchio fighter jets, heavy artillery, armored personal carriers and Grad Sorok( or Katusha or BM as known) multi barreled rocket launchers. All these are in the name of fighting terrorisms. But in fact today in Mogadishu the terrorists are the TFG (Tigre Founded Government). To day Yusuf and his butcher in Mogadishu are working on the final solution of the people of Mogadishu. The final solution is first to bombard Mogadishu and depopulate by clan cleansing. It has already started and the lull in the fighting is merely a tactical by the Ethiopians and the TFG. In fact the Ethiopians are already reinforcing their troops from all directions. The major road linking the town of Beletweyn to Mogadishu is controlled by the Ethiopian army. On the coastal area the road connecting the coastal town of Adale to Mogadishu is owned by the Ethiopian Army supported by Tanks and armored personal carriers. Mogadishu is surrounded and it is matter of time when the bombardment resumed.

Even worst the TFG and the clan fox hole of Puntland, believing that they will be cleansing Mogadishu of ****** clan fighters in few days, has started fresh strategic talks with the Ethiopians. Both Adde Musse, the quisling of Qarowe, and Yussuf met with Mr. Zenawi in early April and discussed the question of Somaliland. This is the big price for Ethiopia. Few days after Adde and Yussuf's returned, 4000 Ethiopian troops crossed the Somali-Ethiopian border onto Mudug region. Now these troops stretch from Buuhoodle to Dhahar west of Erigabo, Sanaag. The shots have already been fired. The conventional wisdom in Addis-Ababa and Vila Somalia is that once Mogadishu is secured, Somaliland can first be destabilized and then slowly taken region by region. What Ethiopia will gain from that Adventure is quite simple. Once Somaliland is invaded, Yusuf will elect a governor General and his preferred candidate is the butcher of Hargeisa, General Morgan. And Ethiopia will be rewarded a 5 mile corridor joining Ethiopia to the port of Ziala. In fact an internal Ethiopian Foreign ministry report had a historical claim on Zaila port.

The irony in this tragedy is the fact that the UN in order to be relevant this time around has authorized the invasion of sovereign nation while the west has supported the invasion morally and financially. Often times we hear the claims made by the United States that the US is "deeply committed to upholding and enforcing UN Security Council resolutions! And yet again it paid and allowed Ethiopia to purchase weapons shipment worth $20M from North Korea.

The Somali people have their Janjawid in the TFG, but this Janjawid instead of being condemned and alleged for war crimes are defended and encouraged to continue the massacres in the name of stabilizing Mogadishu. The first legal genocide approved by the UN and the AU is underway in full swing.

Ethiopia has long sought the ownership of the coast of Banadir. For centuries the Ethiopian Emperors have collaborated with Europeans in the division of Africa among themselves and the present day Ethiopia is in fact the share that Ethiopia was awarded. The Oromo, Somalis, Afar, Eretria and many other minorities have their homeland given to Ethiopia.

The international community has called the crises in Darfur a massive genocide. That is the government of Sudan indiscriminately killing its own people. The international community spearheaded by the west has played the racial card by giving the crises in Darfur a racial face where Arabs are killing dark skinned Africans. This is simply to stir up evil among the Africans. Africans have being killed, enslaved and oppressed in many democratic countries and that practice still continues.

Therefore the questions begs, here in Somalia's case, why one genocide is evil and another of the same magnitude is a blessing and good riddance?

To make matters worse the UN, AU, EU and the US have gathered East Africa's most notorious regimes as peace keepers. These are the war profiteers, rapists, murderers who oversaw the most gruesome human suffering in the history of Africa. In combat these nations' armies are not paid. They have to earn by the barrel of their guns. These are the countries that I call "THE COALLISION OF THE RENTED" These nations include Burundi, Kenya, Uganda and spear headed by Imperial power of the Axum. All these countries are ruled by tugs. They have different roles some contribute troops, some as Kenya offer the conspiracy headquarters and redention centers.

Here is some of the crimesw committed in the DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO by those nations' evil armies.

The "Collision of the Rented", that is, Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya and now Burundi have among their ranks some of Africa's most murderous dictators. The Museveni of Uganda has ruled Uganda since 1986 and will do every thing to stay in power, change the constitution to run for presidency for the third time. In joining the "Collision of the Rented" he reasoned that Uganda's security is at risk because there is a huge influx of weapons from Somalia into the Karamoja region of Uganda. Uganda has been accused by the Human rights watch and the UN of committing crimes in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Museveni, his family members and close associates have enriched themselves in the Diamond and gold loot in the DRC. The Ugandan army has been accused of carrying out severe human rights abuses on the civilian population in the north of that country. A UN Security Council expert panel reported extensive exploitation of the Congolese resources by Rwandans and Ugandans, acting in both public and private capacities, underlining the importance of economic motives for the war. In April of 2002 a UN panel of experts reported to Security Council that the governments of Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi (welcome) were illegally exploiting the natural resources and other forms of wealth of the DRC (Democratic Republic of Congo).

The Ethiopian regimes atrocities against its own people is summed up by Judge Tashale Aberra, who has defected to Britain: The Ethiopian government is responsible for killing tens of thousands of students and other critics. Aberra claimed that the Zenawi regime is as bad as Mengistu's. "The Mengistu regime killed and boasted about it. The Meles regime kills and asks ‘who killed?' and then sets up an inquiry commissions.

Throughout the DRC conflict, millions of dollars worth of gold are smuggled out of the country each year some of it destined to Switzerland. The Swiss refining company, Metalor Technologies, bought gold from Uganda. Since Uganda has no gold reserves of its own this must be looted from DRC. A mining Engineer in the Durba gold mining region where the Ugandan army had been present has to say this: "The Ugandan army was responsible for the destruction of Gorumbwa gold mine. They started to mine the pillars. It was disorderly and very widespread. People were killed when the mines eventually collapsed. It was not their country so they don't care about destruction."

In January 24, 2006 Richard Dicker, Director of Human Rights Watch made this statement prepared for the "Arria Formula Meeting":" We urge the security council in any resolution it adopts to call on the Ugandan authorities to investigate and, where appropriate, prosecute their own military personnel for abuses against civilians. To ensure stability in the long-term, Uganda should investigate all serious violation of international human rights and humanitarian law, regardless of the perpetrators, from the beginning of the conflict in 1986.

Upon reading all these horrendous war crimes and human rights abuses committed by the Ugandan and Burundian army in the Democratic Republic of Congo, one will ask, why of all countries the UN, EU and the dysfunctional AU is sending these criminals to Somalia. As you can see it was about a year ago when the above report was prepared. Museveni is still Museveni he still runs some parts of Congo through his proxy local tribal militia.

The Kenyan government, while maintaining friendly contact with UIC during the short period it ran Mogadishu and most of the south, was secretly laying its part of the plan to invade Somalia. Kenyan military was 10 km deep inside the Somali territory. It detained local nomads from both sides of the border and refugees fleeing the fighting including women and children and all of them were handed to the Ethiopian army and they were flown to secret prisons inside Ethiopia. The Mogadishu Oromo population has completely disappeared some of them were there for 30 years, since the 1977 Ethiopio-Somali war (****** War as is known). Ethiopia accused Eretria of supporting the UIC and claimed to have more the 2000 solders fighting alongside the UIC. However, no one has ever seen a single Eretria solder captured in the 5 day war. So simple is, in today's world, the naked pretext to invade sovereign nations. The TGF officials and many Somalis of all walks, when talking about cession of Somaliland strongly stress that Somalia is indivisible and that unity is sacred. Well I have a question for all of you: Who gave Somalia to Ethiopia in a Christmas Eve night? And what will you do to liberate Somalia from this historic defeat and humiliation? Ethiopia has never ever defeated a Somali army without external assistance or/and intervention. In the 15th century it was Portugal, in 1964 it was the west, in 1977 it was Warsaw pact army led by General Petrov and 17, 000 Cuban solders and now we know who is it.

Why so many prominent Somalis who never hide their patriotism in their rhetoric have never uttered a word to condemn the Genocide in Mogadishu, most notably the Honorable Abdirazak Haji Hussein?

I have not written about Somalia for about 10 years. I have written it off. This pas Friday, April 6, 2007 my daughter (7 yrs old) asked me so many questions about Somalia. Such as does Somalia has this or that? Or the kids in Somalia have this or that? My answers were simply yes or no. While exchanging these Q&As with my daughter my son (11 years old) who was standing by playing his Nintendo DS jumped into the conversation and ended it in a matter of a second by saying the following: "Somalia does not exist, Ethiopia owns it now". That was too painful to hear. But then I asked myself, isn't that the status quo in Mogadishu to day since the TFG can't call a cease fire; they take orders from the Ethiopian generals in Mogadishu. The Ethiopians are the ones who call the shots. They are the ones who negotiate the cease fires, reach agreements with the Mogadishu clan leaders. And I told him you are right son. What exactly does the TFG do in Mogadishu other than participating in the indiscriminate shelling and bombarding the people, their own people?

Ethiopia is not here to save Somalia, Ethiopia is here to stay and colonize Somalia. Remember Syria in Lebanon?? Therefore, every Somali is obliged to liberate his country and join the freedom fighters. Ethiopia should leave Somalia with a bloody nose. We should also not let Somalia become a battle ground for others and their interest.

"Somalia's struggle to form a government after 15 years of clan warfare is achieving success, thanks to partners in the horn of Africa region like Ethiopia and with the help from the UN, the AU and the United States" Ambassador Vicki Huddleston. Feb. 22 2007

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3071421.stm

http://hrw.org/wr2k2/africa3.html

http://www.hrw.org/wr2k1/africa/drc.html

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2002/oct2002/cong-o26_prn.shtml

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4266789.stm

http://hrw.org/english/docs/2006/11/08/congo14517.htm

http://www.africafocus.org/docs05/drc0506.php

By M.A Jama

majsaxar@gmail.com