Sign in to follow this  
Thankful

Discrimination in Hargeisa, NW Somalia

Thankful   

IRIN

SOMALIA: Ahmed Shide Jama, "It is as if no one knows we are here"

Photo: Jane Some/IRIN

Ahmed Shide Jama, an elder of the Gaboye clan in Somaliland

HARGEISA, 2 July 2010 (IRIN) - Ahmed Shide Jama, in his late 60s, is the leader of one of Somaliland's marginalized minority groups, the Gabooyo. He lives in the Daami area of Hargeisa, capital of the self-declared republic of Somaliland, with at least 8,000 other families (48,000 people).

Minority groups such as the Gabooyo experience discrimination, mostly for the work they do, such as shoemaking and iron-smelting. In Somaliland, most of the Gabooyo also work as barbers, a job no other clan will perform. Minority groups such as the Gabooyo are not allowed to marry into the larger Somali community or socially interact with them in any way, despite the fact that they are Somalis and Muslims.

Jama spoke to IRIN about the plight of his people:

"I am the leader of this community in Daami; there are at least 8,000 families here but no one knows or cares we are here. It is as if they [the majority Somaliland clans] don't see us or know we even exist.

"If one of our boys is foolish enough and marries a girl of the majority community, I can guarantee you that he will be killed and so will the girl who marries him.

"Imagine, we are all Somalis, Muslims and all God's children and should be treated equally. When you die your deeds will count, not your clan.

"For this entire community, there is not a single facility for mother-child healthcare. We had women who died in childbirth because we have no access to healthcare. As you can see, we have no money to go to private hospitals.

"It is [presidential] election time here in Somaliland [voting took place on 26 June] and only one party sent someone to lobby us to vote for their candidate. The others don’t care because we are not an important clan.

"We have no representation in the Somaliland government or parliament. If we had representation, we could at least go and complain but who would listen to an old Gabooyo man? When you are not represented anywhere, it means you are not there.

"When the new government comes in, all I want is for it to first acknowledge that we are here and are a part of this country and that we are Somalis and we are Muslims.

"Please give us our rights. I hope whoever gets elected will do better and address our problems. It is a hope but I don’t expect much to change."

Qudhac   

first it was somaliland election will never happen

then it was riyaale will not give up his seat

and now its down to this.

:D:D:D

ever heard of the term clutching at straws.

As Martin Luther King, Jr said:

"Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality."

I am very concerned about the position of my people from the minority clans in Somaliland. Eventhaught there are some things changing in society, the discrimination they face is one which can not be ignored nor talked down.

I hope that one day people realize that their fate and that of their brothers is interdependent. Only then will Somaliland rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tusbax:

Let the Gabooye votes count!
:D:D

"Negroes were just going around ... scratching where they didn't itch and laughing when they were not tickled."

There is nothing funny about this issue. I cant understand what makes you laugh or why you make jokes about this matter. This serieuz.

Thankful   

Qudhac

Why don't you comment on what this poor old man was saying? Why are you avoiding the discrimination he is complaining about.

Originally posted by Thankful:

Qudhac

Why don't you comment on what this poor old man was saying? Why are you avoiding the discrimination he is complaining about.

Are you really concerned with my people? or are you just looking for excuses to bash Somaliland?

Thankful   

Chief_Aaqil, I am very concerned with them, especially the fact that they are killed for no reason, as well they are not your people.

Africanown,

Of all the things mentioned in article, your only concern is with name of your region?

It just proves to me that what is being said must be true, if someone like you raised abroad couldn't even careless about the suffering.