Sign in to follow this  
Coloow

Premature action??

Coloow   

Last year the Swedish government passed a law that allows for the capture of suspected warlords in Sweden. Prior to that warlords could come and go and the swedish government's power was limited to refusing entry visa or cancelling it.

Anyway, last night at 02:42 a somali man named Abdi Qaybdid , 57 years was arrested at a hotel in Lund, southern Sweden and taken to Gothenburg for questioning. He was a member of the somali delegation to a workshop on somalia.

I have been waiting for the big fishes to come to sweden and excercise this right! This move might make them stay away from Sweden! Yusuf, Hirale, Aydid, Sudi, Qanyare and shati would never visit sweden- how sad!!!!

Neither would generals, colonels from the Siad Barre era now that anyone could report them to the police station and get them arrested.

But, I think somalis being very innovative would come with an innovative idea- change names, ages etc.

As to Qaybid I think he would be released. But humiliated.

Coloow   

Sky,

Abdullahi Yusuf, Hussein Aidid, Suudi, Morgan, barre Hiraale and a few generals and colonels are indicted in Sweden.

The arrest of this warlord would make it harder for the warlord president and his warlord cabinet to visit Sweden.

Coloow   

Maskin,

Sharif is not a warlord. He has never killed anyone. I think misunderstanding (his critics are driven by tribalism, so are his supporters), a vicious campaign (read the many websites that condemn him and those that praise him) and the somali power greed (the sharif is not immune) has contributed to sharif becoming a hate figure.

The daily newspaper that broke the news yesterday had an article on the somali man who reported the matter to the police. There is an alleged video where two teenage boys (one is Amaan something) are questioned by Qeybdid's forces:

Interrogator: what is your tribe?

Boy: I am a muslim

and the boys are killed.

I have seen a similar video with Morgan and one or two other warlords- and I hope that is brought to the attention of the authorities.

The only problem is that these warlords would be deterred from coming to Sweden. Many somalis would never experience the humiliation of warlords.

Qeybdid, remains in a cell in Gothenburg- he has denied the charges and will never want to talk unless he is told the tribe of the intepreter!

Caaqil, sarcasticnimo ayee iga ahayd. Shariifka inuu ahayn qabqable waala og yahay.

Cabdi Qeybdiid godkiis ayaa biyo ugu galay. I don't think he was arrested without a sound evidence, and I don't think he would be freed shortly. Now, aw qabqableyaal would really study the laws the European countries they are going to visit have regarding dambiyadee galeen. If only Dubeey, Neyroobi, London iyo magoolooyinka kale ee ugu ordaan caafimaadkooda iyo check-up-kooda waxaas ma jiri lahaa meel ee ugu bixi lahayeen ma jiri lahayn the four-walled fiefdoms they rule oo boring ku qaban lahaa.

Coloow   

Maskin,

Waan gartay saaxib. I hope this warlord is sentenced to 100 years ( he is getting judicial treatment which he did not accord his victims).

but my guess is that Qeybib would be freed. Although swedish law calls for the detention and trials of suspected war criminals, it differentiates against

1) Crimes committed against swedish citizens/properties

2) Crimes against third parties

In the former the matter is for the legal courts; a prosecuter decides whether or not to prosecute.

In the latter, it is the government that decides.

I think the swedish government does not want to be seen as one that threatens the peace process in Somalia (As someone called Ibbi said here in sweden yesterday).

Sweden has about 3000 rejected asylum seekers it wants to send back to. It has through various somali organizations, regions and warlords set in motion a repatriation project. and it does not want to jeopardize this for the sake of maryooleys.