Sign in to follow this  
BN

Radio Galkayo, Radio for peace

BN   

Somalia: Radio Galkayo, Radio for peace

During the civil war, while the whole world was being apart, a group of young people with some older ones and a few intellectuals from Galkayo joined forces. Together, they advanced the idea for creation of a radio for peace: Radio Galkayo.

With the support of Oxfam-Quebec and Oxfam Canada, Radio Galkayo developed programs for peace which were heard throughout the country.

With this initiative, we brought together communities at a time when no one even dared speak of peace and reconciliation. In partnership with other local groups and businesses we then developed other programs to continue our mission of peace. Without Oxfam, we would not be where we are today. This organization has done the most to establish stability for radio and consequently establish a more peaceful environment in Puntland. But the contribution to the peace and development effort also follows, for a large part, from our Diaspora. It is this effort of co-operation by all of us which will create a more peaceful world in which to live and prosper.

After the civil war, Galkayo became home to businesses and non-government organizations (NGO) which were very successful. Radio Galkayo is proud of having contributed to establishing a peaceful environment for companies to put down roots in Galkayo, Puntland and the whole of Somalia. There are numerous signs of success: banks, construction companies, water purification companies, businesses, airlines, factories, telecommunications...

There is no doubt that the most significant example is the Galkayo Education Center for Peace and Development (GECPD). This organization operates to reinforce the ability of women to defend their fundamental rights. There is also the Y Foundation, a local NGO which contributes to conflict resolution programs, urban planning, health education and encourages community participation in the development of local projects.

My dream is that Radio Galkayo will continue to be a community radio, always promoting ideas of peace, love, labor and development in the community. For my neighborhood and my country, I pray for more understanding, for peace and for a stable and democratic system.

By Aden Nur Mohamed, Manager, Public Relations, Radio Galkayo

Web site: www.radiogalkayo.com

Story Link Oxfam Quebec