Sign in to follow this  
BOB

Who’s The Greatest # 10 Europe Ever Produced?

Jaylaani   

Originally posted by the-urban-hang-suite:

^even if thats the case jay, a number 10 position is a striker....and lampard is not a striker.

I see your point man.

BTW, is my analogy correct? Can you wear number 10 and play another position and vise versa?

Urban   

Jay, i think players originally wore shirt numbers according to their playing position, i.e GK= No.1 Strikers= No.10 or 11.

but now you can see a midfielder with a number 10 or 11, a striker with No.8 etc etc

i think it depends on the team. some players have a different shirt number for club and country....

Jaylaani   

^^^So there is no rule in the soccer world that will prevent me from wearing 37 and play goalie, is that what you’re saying?

N.O.R.F   

^^^yup, now every player has a squad number when Names on the back of a player's shirt was introduced in the late 90s. So a new player who plays in the number 10 position may find that a player already has that shirt so will settle for number 14!

Northernor .. Crytals is mine only .. but is far from east end ..Closer to Highbury.

There is still an exception to the norm ..Number 1 is still exlusive to the Goalkeeper .. have not seen a number 1 striker yet ...

the most wierd numbers given out ... 5 for Zidane and Milan Baros ... and was it Salas who had the 1 + 8 number sometime ago for Lazio i think .. so it tollated number 9 ..

Jaylaani   

May be not for striker but you can have goalie wearing zero (0), right?

I think the argument was if there was a specific rule that would prevent you from wearing certain numbers if you play certain positions. And the answer was NO. agreed by the soccer junkies in this joint (excluded my self).

Some leagues like spain have a limit on first team members. Only 25 players are allowed in the first team and only 25 shirt numbers can be handed out. But in countries like Russia, there is no limit, I think there was a player who weares 99, he plays for one of them minor East European teams.

In the Premiership u have few players with high numbers .. John Terry's number 26, and there is a player who wears 37, is it one of the Wright-Philips brothers no so sure.

Zero is not allowed.

Jaylaani   

Zero is not allowed. [/QB]

Are serious? That is my favorite number. I guess I won't play soccer for living than. I should stick with the NBA..they get paid more. smile.gif