Sign in to follow this  
ANWAR

Somali gov't takes control of key western town

ANWAR   

With a show of force, Somali government troops on Sunday took full control of the strategic western town where the national security minister was killed last month.

Hundreds of heavily armed government soldiers rolled into the town of Belet Weyne in 18 pickups with machine-guns just before dawn, resident Abshir Haji Damal told The Associated Press.

"The rebel forces surprisingly abandoned the area," he said.

Only one soldier was injured in a brief fight with Islamist militants before Belet Weyne was retaken, said Muqtar Hussein Afrah, the chief commander of Somali forces in the central Hiran region.

Belet Weyne, the capital of Hiran, is close to the border with Ethiopia, some 185 miles (300 kilometers) north of Mogadishu. Since January, government forces have controlled the town's eastern part and Islamic insurgents the western part.

"We are now in control and troops are guarding the streets and the strategic locations of the entire town," Afrah told Associated Press by phone.

On June 18, Somalia's national security minister and at least 24 other people were killed in a suicide attack in Belet Weyne that an extremist Islamic group, al-Shabab claimed responsibility for. The U.S. State Department considers al-Shabab a terrorist organization that has links with al-Qaida, something the group denies.

Further north from Belet Weyne, villagers reported send EAH0409 nai glbh intw eurwseeing hundreds of Ethiopian troops move Saturday into the Somali village of Kalabeyrka, 12 miles (20 kilometers) from the border with Ethiopia. On Sunday, the troops patroled the hills surrounding the village.

"They stopped me at a checkpoint they set up at the Kalabeyrka junction and asked me for my ID and where I was heading to, then ordered me to move on," bus driver Samow Haji told AP via phone.

Ethiopian officials say their troops regularly cross up to 9 miles (15 kilometers) into Somali on reconnaissance trips.

Ethiopia had troops in Somalia between December 2006 to January 2009 to back the fragile government against an Islamic insurgency. Ethiopia withdrew its troops in January under an intricate peace deal mediated by the United Nations that saw moderate Islamic leaders join the government.

Somalia has not had an effective government since 1991 when warlords overthrew longtime dictator Mohamed Siad Barre and then turned on each other, plunging the country into chaos and anarchy.

MEY ALLHA BLESS MY ARMY

610x.jpg

THEY ARE COMING :D:D

610x.jpg

AL-SABAB SCUM :mad: :mad:

somali-fighters.jpg

GAAROODI   

your army looks abit tired president anwar.

Alshabab looks pretty well rested I think that answers everything, these guys have time on their hands and land and resources, your army has 2 years at most.