Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

UN expert hails Somali militia disarmament

Gabbal   

NAIROBI, Sept 3 (Reuters) - Defying Somalia's lawless image, a militia has disarmed 1,202 gunmen in a move that could spur the international community to help the failed state demobilise more of its fighters, a human rights expert said on Wednesday.

"It's a positive move by Somalis themselves with no outside help," the expert, Ghanim Alnajar, told reporters, adding the Juba Valley Alliance militia paid for the operation itself.

"I think this initiative by the JVA will also encourage the U.N. to come forward and put more money and investment into this," said Alnajar, an independent expert on Somalia who reports to the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights.

Alnajar said most of those disarmed were "freelance" gunmen who had been roaming the streets of the JVA-controlled southern port town of Kismayo, and did not belong to the JVA's own ranks.

For handing in their guns they were paid $50 a month and housed in cantonment camps where they were interviewed and selected for possible training in farming, fishing or integration into the JVA's own police force.

The JVA was financing the payments out of its port operations, mainly the export of charcoal, Alnajar said. The JVA's own militia and police are unaffected by the programme.

Similar projects are run with varying degrees of success by U.N. agencies in other parts of Somalia but none apart from the JVA's is financed purely by Somalis.

Somali analysts say the JVA's programme was made possible by the local dominance of one clan, the Marehan, meaning arrests were unlikely to spark potentially violent inter-clan disputes.

Alnajar, who was returning from a 10-day trip to Somalia, said such a programme would be very difficult in Mogadishu, the capital, which is ruled by a patchwork of clan leaders.

Somalia collapsed into chaos in 1991 after the ousting of former dictator Mohamed Siad Barre. Peace talks have failed to agree on a successor administration to a transitional national government (TNG) whose three-year mandate expired last month.

An effort at removing gunmen from Mogadishu's streets was attempted by the TNG in 2000 but quickly collapsed.

Grinov   

the hypocrisy of some is truly amazing.

the much taunted nationalists are merely sick clanist hidding behind a nationlist agenda

the barre hiiraale ,and brainless seeraar thugz are theives and have no legitimate authority to rule kismayo. they came to that city, and destroyed the little prosperity it had, and turned it to a ghost town.

Don't even think i support the coward morgan, or cumar xaashi or anyone, but the truth of the matter is, mudug people especially the clans that hold kismayo now are the most violent, backward people ,and they need to be disarmed too.

horn, please dont be blinded by your tribal affliation in supporting the TNG AND JUBBA THUGZ.

iam very upset that the forumers are either the traitors who want to devide our country, or the supporters of the blood hound ina yeey cabdullahi yusuf or the most primitive violent and ****** TNG and Jubba valley supporters..

what happened to the rest of DECENT SOMALIS, who don't support such filth?

iam wondering still

Gabbal   

Simply ignorant is what I dismiss the latter post of the dear nomad Grinov. Bro you have accused me and accused me, but you have never backed up your accusations so they were all and is now being dismissed as simply ignorant.

I don't understand how a person who supported the murders and horrific acts against humanity of fellow Somalis and Muslims can now accuse someone of hypocrisy, when they are being patriotic?

I love my Somalia to the fullest, and the reason why I posted that article was the tenacity of the project and the scope of the meaning of it. Read quotes below;

Defying Somalia's lawless image, a militia has disarmed 1,202 gunmen in a move that could spur the international community to help the failed state demobilise more of its fighters

"It's a positive move by Somalis themselves with no outside help,"

Similar projects are run with varying degrees of success by U.N. agencies in other parts of Somalia but none apart from the JVA's is financed purely by Somalis.

If this project was heralded by Riyaale Kaahin I wouldn't have been any less happier. If this project was heralded by Cabdulahi Yusuf I wouldn't have been any less happier. If this project was heralded by Mawliid Macane I wouldn't have been any less happier.

It is not the heralder of the project, but the project itself that brings pride to my heart.

We are finally taking the initiative! Be proud my boy!

Grinov please don't be so quick to dismiss people's contributions, on your assumptions :rolleyes:

Dear hornafrique

Defying Somalia's lawless image, a militia has disarmed 1,202 gunmen in a move that could spur the international community to help the failed state demobilise more of its fighters, a human rights expert said on Wednesday.

this is a good news which is rearly heard from our country and should be supported.

"It's a positive move by Somalis themselves with no outside help," the expert, Ghanim Alnajar, told reporters, adding the Juba Valley Alliance militia paid for the operation itself.

although is small step compared to what is happening in other parts of the country its good step in the right direction. and i also hope it will become permenant project rather than temporary one.

i should mention though that next step should be political solution and letting the native kismayoans to take part the governing their city.

best wishes

Grinov, I think you are being disrespectful to HornAfrique. Any story reported on the News can be posted here for the nomads to comment and HornAfrique only did that. No need to get personal saxib.

As for the Kismayu Militia disarming what they called "thugs", this is nothing but a publicity ploy. The ones who really need to disarm are the the Seeraar and Hiiraale militias themselves. Confiscating protection weapon from the weak and the unprotected tribes deosn't mean Kismayo is being made any safer. It only means the civilians in the city don't have any protection against the JVA thugs roaming around the city daily.

Grinov   

Dear Libaax, it wasn't my intention to disrespect Horn, but rather to point to him the flaws of his rationale.

for hornafrique to brag about the accomplishment rather lack of it of the thugz of kismayu is very hypocritical.

to make my self clear, iam not a supporter of their oponents either. but Hiiraale and Seeraar don't belong in jubada hoose. only the talxe people can lay claim to the south somalia.

why is it that hornafrique , a bright young man, claiming to be a nationalist, yet endorsing the thugz that seized a land that don't belong to them, and last four weeks killed over fifty people and robbed merchants, because one of their men was killed by a single militia man.

my beef is those that pretend to be non qabiilist, yet their line of thoughts is very predictible in that they support the tng and the jva and belong to either cabdiqasim or siyad bare clan. those that support ina yeey and belong to his clan and those that want to succeed and in addition claim people of SSH and support ina cigaal clan.

why do we have to be drawn in these lines.

why can't we be nationalist that are very happy for the progress and peace in waqooyi galbeed and puntland, and also want peace for the rest? why can't we be independant thinkers that are nationalist in a true sense ?

Don't most people in this political forum subscribe to the above line of thinking?

Iam clean and don't support No warlord, love all somalis, regardless of their region.

Gabbal   

Iam clean and don't support No warlord, love all somalis, regardless of their region

It seems to me like you're very hypocritical of of your past statements, dear Grinov.

Who is talking about supporting anybody?

Didn't I already mention that it was because of the project itself that I posted that article in the first place?

I welcome criticism, when it's legitimate.

Since you are so fond of indirectly labeling me as a "qabiilist", would you care to tell me and the dear nomads of this forum how and why you came to that conclusion? smile.gif

Grinov   

Dear Horn, anyone claiming the succesion of somalia, or supporting Ina yeey, or the cabdiqasim and the tng is a die hard qabiilist in denial if he/she belongs to the particular tribes of these entities.

eg: succesion supporters all hail from hargeysa and burco and parts of ceerigaabo

Ina yeey supports exclusively hail from north gaalkacyo or bari

Cabdi qasim and JVA supports exculsively hail from either cabdiqasim's trige or late siyad barre's tribe.

prove me wrong my dear freind.

the action of the jva is a publicity stunt, because disarming the less powerfull tribes who inhabit in the region at this time is a mere PR ploy.

the thugz from mudug are the real culprits , who everyday make the lives of the poor hardworking people.

how could an illegitimate entity make peace in other people's land?

Do you really beleive ina hiiraale belongs in kismaayo?

it seems you whole heartedly endorse in him and cabdiqaasim, so is almost most of the folks from your tribe.

I on the other hand denounce ALL warlords, and am very happy for the peace and prosperity of the PEOPLE(puntland and somalia north).

i applaud their effort and civilized manner, in which they conducted themselves in the harsh years after the civil war. these people created an oasis os sanity and an environment that is truly a role model for the rest of the savages in somalia.

by now , it should be clear to you that i have NO hidden tribal agenda.

Gabbal   

Cabdi qasim and JVA supports exculsively hail from either cabdiqasim's trige or late siyad barre's tribe.

What if I were to tell you that dispite being expelled from my place of birth by Abdiqasim's clan, that I still support him and not the JVA, which is ran by my clansmen?

If I'm still a qabiilist to you Grinov, then brother you have a very funny way of defining qabiilism. smile.gif

I on the other hand denounce ALL warlords, and am very happy for the peace and prosperity of the PEOPLE(puntland and somalia north).

Were you not just a while ago blaming and insulting those same PEOPLE of removing your late mentor?

And were you not just a while ago blaming and insulting those same PEOPLE of being behind the destruction and anarchy of Somalia?

Your main agenda alludes me Grinov, but I would just want to tell you that I don't particularly like fakes.