Sign in to follow this  
Nehanda

Which sect of Islam do you follow?

Nehanda   

I have been asked this question few times lately and to be honest I am not so sure.

I naively believed that as long as I am a Muslim it would not matter which division I followed. As far as I understood all that I am required to secure a place in heaven is to master the 5 pillars. If that’s the case then why do we have 73 divisions in Islam of which I have been told unceremoniously that ONLY one is the true religion and the rest absolute gibberish. How could that be when the few I am aware of share the fundamentals. Hence I have decided to call myself just a Muslim not a Sunni nor a Shia.

Nur   

Nehanda sis

If you are not sure of which sect of Islam you belong to, then CONGRATULATIONS sis. Smile, You escaped FITNAH!

An old illiterate woman was once told that there was a very knowledgeable man who has 100 proofs of Allah's existence, the old illiterate woman responded, "I don't need him, I have no single doubt!"

You see sis, things used to be simple during the first generation of Islam, no volumes of books, no thousands of Islamic websites, no sects, no confusion, just simple following of the Prophet of Allah SAWS.

Then, people started asking more questions while coming short of doing what they have known already. They indulged in the art of polemics, the more they argued the more they divided into sects, causing the current mess that we live in.

Going back to original simplicity of Islam means taking Islam as a practical everyday code of life.

Nur

Fabregas   

Nehanda;

Sis, the Prophet(SAW) instructed us to follow the Quran, the Sunnah( actions and statements which are authentically attributed to him), and the people that followed it best where his companions or the two generations that followed after him.

The Shicas, although they are a diverse group, generally declare Muhamad's closest companions( particularly Abu Bakr and Umar) to be disbelievers as they supposedly stole the caliphate from Ali. Furthermore, they declare the Prophets wife, Aisha, to have commited adultery, and some declare her not to be Muslim. There also a range of theological differences such as the stance on their imams being like propehts, supplicating to Ali, and some even atrributed divinity to Ali.

From the Quran and the statements of the Prophet it is clear that the companions are held in the highest esteem, although they can commit mistakes. This is logical since it would not be befitting of any prophet to have close companions, who struggled with him all their lifes,marry him, spread his religion all over the world, to be heretical individuals or people with bad character.

Moreover, the companions of the Prophet and his wifes narrated many aspects of Islam such as how to purify yourself after being sexually impure. So, if they were disbelievers and opposed the Prophet as some of the Shicas allege,then much of our deen is baseless and we can't even pray salah correctly.

Thus, to be of the sunnah is simply to follow the Prophet's way, the Quran, follow his companions without adding or removing anything to it, or without performing disbelive on any his wife or companions.

I know this a bit loaded, but I felt it neccesary to clarify the differences between Sunnah and following Shica.

Muriidi   

my alternate ego from akhira called me and told me how we got there(jannah) i guess that makes me a sufi mystic,but i'm here now in reality which i think makes me salafi,i love the prophet pbuh very much and passionately ,does that make me christian,i believe in freedom and that God wishes me no evil ,is that hindu you say,i believe in abstinence and patience do i smell some buddha,i just expressed deep thoughts with no fear of prosecution is that the essence of moses pbuh message?

all of the above is only correct if confirmed by quran and sunnah

and whath the #*¤! is a sect ? i think the arabic word is taa'ifa...or maysir or maybe i shouldn't judge people ....

the vital question is how does a jamaaca avoid becoming a sect ?

were the asasin and salah u din ayubi a sect ?