Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Celebration of Muhammud's(saw) birthday!?!

Modesty   

Asalaamu Alaykum,

I was at this islamic site today and a lady asked a question regarding if it was islamically okay to celebrate the prophet's birthday. To my astounishment, the so-called scholar answered her question with a yes, that we can celebrate the rasool's birthday. I always thought that was harm, since as muslims we can only celebrate religious holidays such as Ramadan and the two Eid's. Can anyone who has more religious knowlegde on this matter perhaps enlighten us?

May Allah bless all for their contributions!

Wa Alikuma Salaam,

No you cannot celebrate according to many shuyuukh. Simple evidence did the Messenger(SAW) or his comapanions do it? No they never. This act is did3a => innovation in religious matters and is not accepted. Also, Prophet (SAW) said "...wa kula bid3a dalaalah wa kula dalaalah fi naar..."

And every innovation leads to misguidance and every misguidance leads to hell fire. Only the Ahlul Bid3a do it. We are upon Quran and Sunnah period so we cannot celebrate smile.gif

Ruling of the celebration of Prophet's (SAW) Birthday

I got the above link from www.islam-qa.com

Mujahid over and out !

Taqwa   

Assalamu Alaikum,

Jazakallah Kheiran brother Modesty/Mujahid for asking/answering that question. I've missed this part of SOL and insha'allah hope to read your post's.

Modesty   

Asalaamu Alaykum,

Mujahid thats what I thought. I go to some islamic sites that I get suspicious of sometimes. The reason is that they make Islam into something different,and sometimes,since I myself don't have alot of indepth knowledge of the deen have to come to SOL islam site to get more answers.

May Allah forgive me...I accidentally spelled the prophet's name wrong. I spelled as Mahammud, but it should be Muhammad. Sorry guys ;)

Khayr   

Salaamz,

One group of Ulamma are of the ijtihad (ruling/opinion) on it (which they are in the minority!!!) and it is not to celeberate the Milad-an-nabi.

The majority of the Ulama however don't consider it to be Harm b/c you are celeberating the personality of the Habibu Allah (salallahu aliyhe wasilm).

In Islam the Shahadah is of two components:

1) La ilallah illa allah

-This part is INTELLECTUAL.

2) Muhmadun rasulallah (salallahu aliyhe wasilm)

-and this part of the Shahadah is what connects us to the first, for without the rasul (salallahu aliyhe wasilm) we would not be able to understand the first shahadah. Our connection to the rasul (salallahu aliyhe wasilm) is the EMOTIONAL part of the Shahadah.

Its the Wisdom of the Ulama that they have allowed the Milad An Nabi celeberations b/c it is used to remember his truely great personality and who better of a guide and personality to celeberate that reminds us of ALLAH than the rasul (salallahu aliyhe wasilm). Through remembering the rasul (salallahu aliyhe wasilm) and reciting various taslims/salwats on him and his family, you gain much barakah and inshallah begin to follow his sunnahs.

In the muslim world, the milad an-nabi is a joyous occassion and helps to unite the Muslims no matter what their thinking/aqeedah.

If you want to do some research on the net, just go to GOOGLE.COM and type in milad an-nabi to get various opinions from the Ulama.

Fi Amanallah

Modesty   

Asalaamu Alaykum,

Kayhr, I was wondering if the Milad an Nabi also consisted of the prophets birthday, or is it more of a remembrance of the rasool's legacy? I know as muslims we should try to imitate the prophet(saw) the best way we can, isn't imitating the conducts and traits of the prophet considered in the same category as the Milad an Nabi? Also since celebrating the rasool's birthday is an innovation, isn't the milad an nabi also a innovation? Since in the time of the prophet they didn't celebrate...or I'm I getting this mixed up?

Khayr   

Salaamz

isn't imitating the conducts and traits of the prophet considered in the same category as the Milad an Nabi?

Look, if something takes you away from Allah and makes you forget him, then you should stay away from it.

Does remembering the rasul (salallahu calihye wasilm) during his Milad make people forget Allah?

Isn't the way to Allah through the Rasul (salallahu calihye wasilm ) and his Sunnah?

Anyhow, as to the question of why it wasn't celeberated when the rasul (salallahu calihye wasilm ) was alive, well his personality was their in the living flesh with the Sahabah everyday. He was being celeberated everyday through the Sahabah interacting with him.

We don't have him anymore in flesh and body anymore. So his spirit is remembered through celeberating the Milad and the Isra-Miraj and other events in the Islamic Calendar that occured during the Seerah.

The deen is flexible and not rigid. So follow an Alim's ruling and stict to him.

Rahima   

Khayr, it's not an Alim's opinion brother

Firstly, Islam is simple akhi. We as Muslims reject all ibaadats that have no basis in the Quran and Sunnah.

However, if you wish to look at the opinions of the Ulama’, the majority of the "scholars" (the question being who is a scholar- surely not every ahmed and muhammad who claims to be learned is the sciences of fiqh and hadith)state that the celebrating of the "prophets birthday" is a bidca, HARAM.

Brother, the prophet did not celebrate his birthday, neither his companions nor the succeeding two generations. Then tell me, how can we introduce (innovate) a worship into this religion when Allah said:

"This day I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you and I have chosen for you Islaam as your religion." [soorah al-Maa'idah 5:3].

I realise that many people claim that they celebrate the mawlid because of their love for the prophet. But i wonder, if they truly loved the prophet, then wouldn't they follow what he instructed the Muslims and leave what he forbade (i.e bidca).

For an action to be accepted by Allah, two conditions must be met:

1. Correct intention (which it seems many people who celebrate have)

AND

2. It must be in accordance with the Quran and Sunnah (which mawlid is not).

May Allah guide us all to the siraaq al-mustaqiim.

Rahima   

As for the history of the mawlid, i found the following quiet interesting:

Imaam al-Faakihaanee (d.734H) - rahimahullaah -said: [6] "Celebrating his birthday has no basis in the Book nor the Sunnah, nor is this action recorded from any one of the Scholars of this Ummah; those who are taken as examples to be followed and who cling to the narrations. Rather it is a bid'ah (innovation), which was introduced by the (deviated) Battaaloon sect. [7]"

As regards to the origins of this newly-invented celebration, then some of the research Scholars have stated that the first person to innovate this practice was 'Umar ibn Muhammad al-Mulaa in the city of Mawsil in Iraaq, during the fourth century, as is mentioned by the Imaam Abu Shaamah (d.665H). [8] He was followed in this by the likes of Abul-Khattaab 'Umar ibn Dihyaa: "who was employed in the west, then travelled to Syria, then he travelled to the city of Irbil in 'Iraaq, during the fourth century, where he found its king Mudhaffarud-Deen ibn Zaynud-Deen showing a keen interest in the milaad (birthday) of the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam. So he composed a book for him called at-Tanweer fi Mawlidis-Siraajil-Muneer; so he recited this to the king who then rewarded him with one thousand deenaars." [9]

[6] Al-Mawrid fi 'Amalil-Mawlid (pp.21-22).

[7] The Battaaloon: they are one of the deviated Baatiniyyah sects from the Faatimids - as al-Maqreezee says in al-Khatat (1/490).

[8] In al-Baa'ith 'alaa Inkaaril-Bida' wal-Hawaadith (pp.23-24). Ibn al-Jawzee stated something similar in Miraatuz-Zamaan (8/310).

[9] Al-Bidaayah wan-Nihaayah (13/144-145) of al-Haafidh Ibn Katheer.

Khayr   

Salaamz,

You the Salafis and the ahl-al-taswuf are always trying to pound each other with arguments and one group is trying to tell the other that they are wrong, mean while their societies become over run by the mushrikeen.

Arguing on every point and detail is futile. You have to look at the greater picture, inshallah.

There is Unity through Diversity and that is how Allah works through his creatures. Look at your own body, all you body parts are different but yet they all have to work together to keep you fully functioning, subhanallah! This is the Hikmah of Allah, Al-Khaliq (The Creator).

We can spend all day arguing about this point and calling another this and that.

If you don't agree, will the Bas! Follow that school of thinking. But remember, that when you say 'it's not an Alim's opinion brother' that you yourself are following a particular opinion (and as you have quoted, they do come from some Ulama!).

I can accept that we can disagree inshallah.

But I don't think that some of you can do that. So if you are rigid, then Imagine if Allah was rigid with you, why Allah would have struck you down on your first sin or the first time you wake up for Fajr!!!