Sign in to follow this  
Blessed

The rise and fall of Kwame Nkrumah

Blessed   

Salaams Nomads,

How about we spare a thread for the father of free Africa? I'm sure we're all well acquainted with his heroic persona, but what lessons do we learn from his last days as an African ruler?

Click me, click me

Viking   

Blessed,

Nkrumah had good intentions but was over-ambitious. Nyerere (who helped many countries to gain independence) achieved much more and Lumumba would have done even a better job if the USA hadn't plotted against him just as they did against Nkrumah. The west disliked the Pan-Africanists. There aren't as many assissinations and plots against governments, with the help of corrupt leaders, the IMF, WB and WTO gets the job done for them.

SeeKer   

^^^The days of the old are gone Viks. The leaders that we have to day are shoddy at best and dictators at worst. Mwalimu is by far the one that I think deserves spotlight. Under his leadership Tz troops ousted Idi Amin and more than that he was proud of his culture to the point of promoting the use of Swahili. It wouldn't be fair not to mention another positive african leader in the East. Baba wa Taifa was a visionary in his own class.

Nkurumah made Ghana into a poor country by trying to industralize the country when cocoa was its claim to fame not to mention he turned dictatorial after the people saw what he was doing to their country. Apart from knowing influential people during his time I didn't see any lasting good he did to his country.