Sign in to follow this  
BOB

Thierry Henry Strikes Against Racism.

BOB   

London - Arsenal's French international superstar Thierry Henry on Thursday launched a campaign against racism entitled "Stand up, Speak up," which aims to make supporters aware of the need to stamp out the problem in football.

Henry had been the subject of racist abuse from Spain's national coach, Luis Aragones, made to one of his players and Henry's Arsenal team-mate Jose Antonio Reyes.

Henry said: "After the recent problems, especially the one with Aragones and the monkeys chants heard during Spain versus England (November 17), I wanted to react.

"Lots of players, like Ronaldinho, have been shocked by those stories. Something needed to be done. It won't perhaps change anything, but doing nothing won't change anything either. Things can change.

"When someone told me (about Aragones' comments), I thought it was a joke but then I heard it on the TV. I reckon he should have been punished more severely by the authorities.

"There is a proverb I like: I forgive but I never forget."

Several initiatives surround this campaign. Two and a half million black and white bracelets are being sold around Europe from February 6, priced two Euros with proceeds going to charity, to raise awareness of the need to stop racism.

Also the national teams of Holland, Portugal, and Russia will play their next friendly matches in special black and white shirts. There will also be a lot of publicity in each of the countries, featuring Henry and Barcelona's Brazilian star Ronaldinho.

Certain countries have representatives on the initiative: Claude Makelele and Philippe Mexes for France, Rio Ferdinand and Ruud van Nistelrooy for England, Adriano and Fabio Cannavaro for Italy, Roberto Carlos and Carles Puyol for Spain, and Otto Addo and Christoph Metzelder for Germany.

Meanwhile Fifa president Sepp Blatter said on January 3 he intended to nominate Henry as an ambassador against racism.

Henry said in Friday's France Football magazine: "If it's really his intention, it's something I would be very proud of and a role I would accept with pleasure."

Peace, Love & Unity.

LANDER   

In such global sport as Football is and with so many diverse superstars of the game, it's still amazing how much racism exists in the game, particularly among european fans. I think the players and specially the black or non-european players should start taking a tougher stance against the racist acts and should start a perhaps even make a players football union (Which I'm not sure they already have like in North America) where all players would support each other and demand for example that coaches who make racists comments be fired right away. For instance you would never see this kind of non-sense in the NBA or any other north american league. Any coach or player or manager who dares make any racist comments or for that matter any comments that might be deemed racist would find themselves in hot waters and more often than not out of a job. You can also forget about "monkey chants" in an NBA game, unlike "soccer" its not the hooligan fans that will run on the field and take on the players it is the crazy black men like Ron Artest (well over 2m tall and 230 pds) who will jump your little skin head hitler *** kissing hooligans :D . B-ball, gotta love this game! maybe you europeans should just convert to basketball and make it your national sport. :D

BOB   

Originally posted by LANDER:

maybe you europeans should just convert to basketball and make it your national sport.
:D

I ethereally enjoyed reading you comments until I reached the above which was very disappointing to say the least because there are no "Europeans" here, only your fellow Somali brothers & sisters and I am not even in Europe but in Africa, however apart from that minor hiccup you made a good point even though I tent to disagree your comparison between Football & Basketball because like you said in NBA non-whites are the majority and in every team in almost every major sport in US except NHL non-whites are the majority and if I am not mistaken also the Superstars.

for example which Philly fan regardless of which sport he follows can dare boo at McNabb or T.O or even A.I even if he is the racist of all racists or is there any L.A resident who can hurl a monkey chant at Kobe?

so you must remember my brother that non-whites in soccer are the minority and most of them earn less money than the white players (especially if the white player has an EU passport) even when the black player is far more talented than the European because many Africans are exploited because they are desperate to earn a decent living through sports and they have no choice but to accept peanuts as a salary while their less talented teammates earn silly money simply because it is tough out here (Africa) and most players happen to be the sole bread winner for their extended family so you can't blame the poor African kid when he jumps on the first opportunity he gets to play in Europe mind you not all make the grade.

few months back I read this horrible story about a bunch of African kids who were sneaked into Europe by greedy and mostly opportunistic agents who promise them tons of cash and good life only to abandon them at the train stations, airports and some even at the Hotel Lobby because the team he was counting on got another player from Africa on the cheap in other words another crook agent beat it to him.

my brother it is tough to be an African rather than an American and in Football (soccer) the highest paid player who happens to be a dude called David Beckham and yet he earns nothing compared to what the NBA,NFL and MLB players earn and wouldn't you know he can't even dribble and I swear if he was Somali (the lowest ranked African team in monthly FIFA world rankings) he would have been one of those players that we ask to officiate one of those games that we play in the small open spaces that are common in our neighbourhoods simply because he isn't good enough and I am sure if he was from where I come from by the way it is Kismayo (the Brazilian of Somalia) he would have been one of my adoring fans, you know those guys who approach you just because you flicked the ball over unsuspecting and hapless defender or you put the ball through his skinny legs and act like they have known you for all their lives and call out on your name every time they see you.... (Sorry, i got carried away,that brought back a lot of memory like back in the day when i was at the sandy and beautiful beaches of my beloved city Kismayo.

PS. Thanks for your valuable time Sxb, i appreciate your input...take care.

Peace, Love & Unity.

SoMa_InC   

In my opinions as a black man, I think Racism can never be eradicated! Period.

Racism is in every where in Europe. Black People need to realise this and move on.

The FA themselves are the biggest racist of all times. What happened to that ''the Great English players of all time DVD'' that did not feature one black player. Was that not racism. Cmon now, was Barnes not good enough.

The so-called intelects of football are encouraging it in an undercover way.

How did UEFA punish the Spanish FA? Fine them thousands of euros. Cmon, only one player can afford that amount. What did the Spanish FA do to their Manager for ill-talking Henry in a racist way. Nothing. So why bother!!

Racism was there and will be there in the future.

I shouldnt stress my self over this and you shouldnt either.

Peace

N.O.R.F   

Racism is in every where in Europe. Black People need to realise this and move on.

True, but what happened in Spain was appalling.

The FA themselves are the biggest racist of all times. What happened to that ''the Great English players of all time DVD'' that did not feature one black player. Was that not racism. Cmon now, was Barnes not good enough.

So was a great black player for England? I can only think of John Barnes scoring that goal against brazil, but he wasnt a regular in the team anyway.

BOB:

where I come from by the way it is Kismayo (the Brazilian of Somalia)

lol,

BOB   

Mojam,

in my unbiased opinion John Barnes was and still is the most gifted player that ever wore the England jersey and who can forget "THAT" goal he scored against Brazil at Maracana where he dribbled past almost the entire Brazilian team and had that goal been scored by a white player I am sure the English media would have called it the greatest goal ever scored just like the way they call Banks' save against Pele the greatest save ever made by a goalkeeper.

Northerner,

i am glad i made you laugh Sxb because at the moment me and you we can do with a bit of laughter

as our respective teams failed to do so but at least you won last night at the Valley.

Peace, Love & Unity.

N.O.R.F   

just like the way they call Banks' save against Pele the greatest save ever made by a goalkeeper.

Now that was a save and a half, unorthodox but it worked, the power Pele got on the header was awesome when u consider the height he jumped. To me that is the best save ever!

BOB   

Northerner,

what about Dudek doesn't he make some of the best saves you've ever seen? :D:D:D:D but at least he is better than the two we got at Highbury....that Spanish bugger let Man Utd off the hook and handed them the 3-P on a silver plate. ( we will be back next season Insha Allah better equipped and much stronger mentally and physically just like we've always done in the past)

I don't agree on everything that the English media

writes because all they do is over rate an average English player like your captain Gerrard...but i agree 120% that he is better than Lampard. ;);)

Peace, Love & Unity.

N.O.R.F   

^^^lol, dont talk about dudek, i hate the geezer.

arsenal have a good team, but not a good squad. Liverpool have a good team but not a good squad. Man Utd and Chelski have both.

1???

2Carrgher

3Traore/???

4Hyppia

5?????

6 Alonso/Hamman

7Kewell

8Gerrard

9 Baros

10 Nando

11 ????

BOB   

Yeah I agree we don't have an indepth squad but I think Mr Wenger learned his lessons now and hopefully next season we will have a much stronger team and for once we might see Titi on the bench for couple of games because it is clear that he needs a break and so is our captain Veiria.

Peace,Love & Unity.