Sign in to follow this  
Saxardiid

Somali peace talks a laughing stock (do you agree)

hi everybody

some people find our peace talks fun, but i'm not realy laughing. do you?

Somali peace talks a laughing stock

DPA , NAIROBI

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003,Page 6

An old woman with a Somali flag wrapped around her takes a swing at a member of parliament. Groups of men sit around playing cards or chewing narcotic khat leaves. A warlord with a shaved head, sunglasses and a foot-long grey beard tells the press peace is at hand.

It's just another day at the Somali peace talks.

One year after negotiations aimed at ending Somalia's civil war began amid great optimism, the talks have little tangible to show for the effort -- or for the price tag, estimated at more than US$2 million.

If Somalia's situation weren't so tragic, the ballooning list of delegates, disputes with hotel owners and fisticuffs that marred the early phase of the talks could have been considered comical.

read the full artical here http://www.hiiraan.com/htdocs/2003/oct03/oct19.htm

best wishes

African   

looooooooooooooool.... ^^^^^^ I had to laugh @this

An old woman with a Somali flag wrapped around her takes a
swing
at a member of parliament.

Being Somali lady I can imagine the swing was done with hips movement. :D:D

Haashim   

Quote "Thirteen previous formal sets of negotiations since the regime of dictator Siad Barre collapsed in 1991 failed to achieve a comprehensive agreement between the country's fractious militia leaders."

Rajada kuwaa hore keeni waayeen oo kani keenayo ma garan :confused:

i don't know what is so funny about ordinery people, like lady mentioned in the artical, who are desprately trying to bring thier country and people in peace. they are strugling between merciless warlords, enemy countries, interest oriantated individuals, ignorant nation, fantasist diasbora and unconcerned world. Put anyone you like and they will just act like them.

African sister you maybe laghing at her loud i'm sure she is not.

Muraad bro this one may also fail but no one knows the future eccept Allah. this conference has a potential for success and one of them is emerging larger alliences that can cross tribal lines. so i am optimist and i know the capabilities of somali people. they may surprise the world by creating able government in somalia that can establish peace and security. who knows.

best wishes

AYOUB   

New-nation

i don't know what is so funny about ordinery people, like lady mentioned in the artical, who are desprately trying to bring thier country and people in peace.

How can you not see the funny side of this sort of baviour taking place at a peace conference?:

One faction leader got into a fist-fight with a civil society delegate and some of his supporters beat up another delegate with a lead pipe.

Thats a member of a civil soceity allright, but not as we know 'em. :D

Here is another piece which made me chuckle.

Somaliland Kings Heading Towards Mogadiscio With Love & Peace

AYOUB-SHEIKH

somalia is different from other countries because of its history and its tribal make-up. so its peace conferences are always different but many outsiders don't understand that. they have total ignorance about somali situation.

They will be flown back well dressed with brand new “Xamari” koofias and colorful long turbans.

this is what somaliland kings will receive when they go mogandisho after meeting with their closest tribal kinship.

best wishes