Sign in to follow this  
HanadYare26

Who is Your True Leader and Why?

Who is Your True Leader and Why?

Through out history the world has seen change of leadership. From Confucius to Plato to Machiavelli, many of the world’s most famous thinkers have theorized about how humans lead one another,” writes Michael Z. Hackman and Craig E. Johnson in their book, Leadership A Communication Perspective. Leadership exist wherever society exist, and it is corner stone of every society. However, the question is who is a great leader?

First, Let us look back in time, great leaders usually emerge in the time of crises. Abraham Lincoln, a former American president, was one of the great leaders in US history. Education or wealthy did not make him great but his persistency to unite American states. Hackman and Johnson quote, Donald Mcgannon: “Leadership is action, not position.” Still, in the US, Franklin Roosevelt brought his country back from brink of recession and won the war for her. In Europe, there was Winston Churchill, a great statesman, who helped his country to survive the Germans. Further, Charles de Gaulle became one of the most influential leaders of 20th century because he saved his country after four Republics failed to function probably.

Next, let us look at contemporary leaders. In Europe, Tony Blair British Prime Minster, won landslide victory for his Labour party after of decade loosing to Conservatives. In South America, Vincent Fox has won the presidency for the first time in more than 70 years of single party rule. In Asia, the maverick Koizumi Junichiro, Japanese Prime Minster, saved his country and become Japan’s tenth prime minister in ten years. last to mention is American President, George W. Bush, who stood tirelessly to boost the publics morale after horrors of 9/11, he won his party both houses in midterm election first time in history, and now trying to boost economy.

All these leaders have understood the need of their people and took proper action to meet that need. They are charismatic and have vision, mission, and ethics, and they put their words into action. Micheal Useem said, “I take leadership so signify the act of making a difference,” they, sure, made differences in their countries at critical times. Machiavelli writes leader must realize the necessity (things presented to you by chance which you have no influence on) fortune (the ability to realize the necessity) and skill (the ability to take that opportunity and to fit it into your needs). Do these characteristics missing in Somali leadership today? Is there any one who is capable of making difference and taking actions instead of position? Are Somali leaders really far from the people? Will Somalia have a true leader and who do you think that will be?

My true leader is our prophet Mohammed ( PBUH). His mission as messenger of Allah aside, Mohammed(PBUH) was truely the greatest statesman, warrior, and a man of great character.

As for somali leaders, i don't think we could call them leaders . Only few of them rise up to the challenge, and took action.

Adan Cadde is perhaps one just leader, giving his post as president and peacefully transferring power.He put the interest of the nation before his desires.

Blessed   

Do these characteristics missing in Somali leadership today?

Missing, they wouldn't understand those characteristics even if they did PHD's on leadership.

Is there any one who is capable of making difference and taking actions instead of position?

Nope. Maybe if they give the Sheikhs a break but most of the good men aren'y interested in shouldering that type of responsibility, so we have to make due with what we have noe .

Are Somali leaders really far from the people?

No. But I think that the people can change that- but only if we have a complete sociological make over. If our people stoped being followers and became revolutionaries, our position would have been better.

Will Somalia have a true leader and who do you think that will be?

I dunno!

I do know a few students of politics who have great thoughts on the politics of Somalia. I really hope that they do follow their aspirations and don't lose themselves on qabyaalad. I mean we can't have it worse the it already is, can we?

in sha Allah, khair as the saying goes.