Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Location of New Ethiopian Embassy: Villa Somalia

Castro   

Every occupying nation must get its "Green Zone".

Mogadishu deputy mayor survives bomb attack

Sat May 26, 2007 11:30AM BST

By Guled Mohamed

MOGADISHU, May 26 (Reuters) - Mogadishu's deputy mayor survived a roadside blast on Saturday that killed a boy and wounded at least five others, the latest Iraq-style insurgent attack in the chaotic capital.

Deputy Mayor Abdifatah Ibrahim Omar has only been on the job since last month, when he replaced his father who was killed in a similar explosion in February.

"I was the target of the landmine blast, but I survived. A 10-year-old boy died on the spot. The mine exploded after I had just passed it," Omar told Reuters by telephone moments after the blast, his voice hoarse.

"It was a remote-controlled landmine. The type that is nowadays often used in Mogadishu by these people."

Four of his guards and a 70-year-old man on the street were seriously wounded, he said. Another deputy mayor, Mohamed Osman, was in the car but escaped injury.

Insurgents from a defeated militant Islamist movement have increasingly adopted tactics employed by Iraqi guerrillas since the interim government and its Ethiopian allies forced them out of Mogadishu in December after a brief war.

They have used roadside bombs and assassinated government officials to fight back, following two rounds of heavy battles that levelled entire neighbourhoods and killed more than 1,300 people in March and April.

Shopkeeper Nur Abdikadir said he heard a loud bang followed by smoke and flames. He closed his shop and fled.

"I saw two soldiers being pulled out of the half-burning car," Abdikadir said. "The explosion was loud and terrifying. I heard gun shots immediately after the explosion. The troops were firing in panic."

Security officials said soldiers had rounded up several people found in the vicinity of the blast.

POLICE ATTACKED

Late on Friday, unidentified attackers also threw a grenade and wounded two policemen guarding Mogadishu's seaport.

"The policemen thought the assailants were jokingly throwing stones at them only to realise it was a hand grenade," port worker Abdullahi Abdi said.

The insurgents, who also include some disgruntled gunmen from the city's dominant ****** tribe, have struck government buildings, convoys and have attacked Ugandan peacekeepers patrolling the city under an African Union mandate.

Ethiopian Foreign Minister Seyoum Mesfin flew out of Mogadishu on Saturday, after arriving the day before to meet with the government about the security situation.

Government sources said he was also discussing the establishment of Ethiopia's embassy to Somalia inside the Villa Baidoa presidential compound.

President Abdullahi Yusuf is trying to impose central control on the Horn of Africa nation, in anarchy since warlords banded together to oust dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991.

Although Mogadishu remains one of the most dangerous and heavily armed cities in the world, Yusuf's administration has imposed more authority over it than any of the other 14 attempts at a central government since Barre's toppling.

Reuters

Castro,

I'm sure that you also meant to say how devastating the savage and indiscriminate acts road side bombings are for the people of muqdisho

Gabbal   

Castro, Villa Baidoa is former prime minister Mohammed Ibraahiim Cigaal's, alle hau naxariisto, state house.

Kaastaro, Filla Baydhabo is the official ra'iisul wasaaraha's residence. It is located in degmadda Wadajir, aaga Isbitaal Madiino.

Filla Soomaaliya, the madaxweynaha's madaxtooyada. Then again, what is the difference? Maanta Xabashi ku xasuuqdo dadweynaha Xamar iyagoo kasoo duulaayo Wasaaradii Gaashaandhiga, wasaarad loo sameeye inay dalka ka difaacdo cadowga ka koow ahaa Xabashi.

Hadana maanta inay safaarad ku sheeg rabaan ka dhigtaan guryihii ugu caansanaa ee dowladihii Soomaaliya soo maray ku lahayd Xamar.

Qashinkaan dowlad ku sheega awalba maxaa laga sugaaye. Qashin qashin ah. Let them enjoy the few Xabashi occupied months, maadaama mar dhaw laga sifeyn doono Soomaaliya.

The new embessy location is not known and who says its Villa this or that?

Anyhow we have an Embessay in Adis so why can they no have a location in Mogadishu?

As for the government its working well since the former ignorant Qat dealer and Qaynyare lackey Sharif Xasan was sidelined and exiled to Asmara. Today things are moving well, and we are prepering ourselfs for the reconciliation conference.

Its the most stable governemnt we had since the demise of the Barre regime.

Castro   

The new embessy location is not known and who says its Villa this or that?.

The article says so quoting government sources. Now, which government it is doesn't really matter for it is nearly impossible to discern where the Tigray government in Addis ends and the puppet regime in Muqdisho begins.

Tahliil   

I thought they already had one opened in enclave numero uno in Puntland and a consulate run in enclave numero dos in Som-Land...do u mean they r relocating now??? oooouchhh this is gonna hurt bad...lol